Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341272 times)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #420 on: October 07, 2006, 04:56:16 am »
You just know that they're going to make a movie out of that, somehow.

Sidenote: How could I have played Pokémon Sapphire for 220 hours and not yet caught Rayquaza? This has been rectified now, at least.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Paradox

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 07, 2006, 01:54:39 pm »
You just know that they're going to make a movie out of that, somehow.

Sidenote: How could I have played Pokémon Sapphire for 220 hours and not yet caught Rayquaza? This has been rectified now, at least.
I had the same thing with Latias, I had it on 1hp and asleep yet I tried for weeks to catch the buggar but to no avail, then after a break of about a year I went back to play it and on my second attempt, with the first ball it stayed in, mocking me about the hours I wasted previously when this time it wentin almost voluntarily

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 07, 2006, 07:23:34 pm »
The Latias/os are easy to catch Mean look and arena trap then spend ages doign anything you can to make the battle go on for as long as you can accuracy lowering attack parlysing oppenents and then jsut things like howl or leer or anything that alters stats wait until the oppentent runs out of PP and starts using struggle when it get low throw a timer ball. Tada works with every legendary.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 08, 2006, 03:33:39 am »
The Latias/os are easy to catch Mean look and arena trap then spend ages doign anything you can to make the battle go on for as long as you can accuracy lowering attack parlysing oppenents and then jsut things like howl or leer or anything that alters stats wait until the oppentent runs out of PP and starts using struggle when it get low throw a timer ball. Tada works with every legendary.

Except Rayquaza, which kills itself by using Outrage and becoming confused.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 08, 2006, 05:47:19 am »

Except Rayquaza, which kills itself by using Outrage and becoming confused.
And Rests off paralysis.

I always just buy about sixty of each ball, try to get them to low health and then just throw like crazy. If it still isn't caught after forty turns, THEN switch to Timer Balls.

But yeah, your Master Ball should definitely be saved for Latia/os.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 08, 2006, 12:27:00 pm »
I'm very disapointed with the whole male/female variations thing.  I was lead to believe that every Pokemon would have some kind of variation, even if the differences were small, it was still a pretty cool sounding thing.  But only five or six of the new Pokemon have any changes at all, and most of them aren't even noticable unless you do a side by side comparassion.

This was one of my most anticpated new features of the game, but now I only find myself asking, what was the point.  I hope they expand upon this in future games at least, it would have been neat if they had actually put some effort into it.

I made this topic way back, when it seemed like Diamond and Pearl were going to be a huge step up for the series, but now it just seems to be another rehash of exactly the same things we've seen before, the few new features we do have seem to have been very poorly implemented.  And no matter what anyone says, I still think the graphics are ugly, and the music annoying.

Oh well, there's still Battle Revolution to look forward to, I just hope it isn't based upon the Colosseum games.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 08, 2006, 11:25:51 pm »
Did u not hear you don't need master ball for the Latis Mean Look or Arena trap is all good. if outrage is killing it then just lower its own atack ability to slow it down until it isn't effective and hopefully it will rest is way back up. i think after about 30 rounds timer balls are as good as they will ever get anyway.

As for music in Pokemon games I play with the sound down anyway ussually listen to music or something anyway i don't find the sound nessicary for portible games and battery lasts longer with out sound.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 09, 2006, 01:49:35 am »
Did u not hear you don't need master ball for the Latis Mean Look or Arena trap is all good. if outrage is killing it then just lower its own atack ability to slow it down until it isn't effective and hopefully it will rest is way back up. i think after about 30 rounds timer balls are as good as they will ever get anyway.

As for music in Pokemon games I play with the sound down anyway ussually listen to music or something anyway i don't find the sound nessicary for portible games and battery lasts longer with out sound.
It's a lot easier to just chuck a Master Ball at it than to train a Dugtrio or a Pokemon with Mean Look.

Also, doesn't Levitate mean that they can flee from Dugtrio anyway? Levitating and Flying Pokes are supposed to be immune to Arena Trap.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 09, 2006, 04:19:27 am »
I dunno seeing area trap is a special ability not an actual move I never tested it.

Also in 2 weeks I'll be seeing my cousin looks like Mario and Luigi partners in time will be put on hold time to start training.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 09, 2006, 08:06:41 am »
I'm very disapointed with the whole male/female variations thing.  I was lead to believe that every Pokemon would have some kind of variation, even if the differences were small, it was still a pretty cool sounding thing.  But only five or six of the new Pokemon have any changes at all, and most of them aren't even noticable unless you do a side by side comparassion.

This was one of my most anticpated new features of the game, but now I only find myself asking, what was the point.  I hope they expand upon this in future games at least, it would have been neat if they had actually put some effort into it.

Well, how many real animals can you tell the difference between males and females with? Some pokémon were already split between males and females even before this, like Tauros/Miltank or the Nidorans.

Yeah, Arena Trap doesn't work on flyers/levitators.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 09, 2006, 08:39:33 am »
So, folks, I haven't played a Pokemon game since ... like ... 1994 or something. Which game should I get back into it with? 'Cause I remember having fun with them, they just sort of fell to the side at some point.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 09, 2006, 10:34:09 am »
So, folks, I haven't played a Pokemon game since ... like ... 1994 or something. Which game should I get back into it with? 'Cause I remember having fun with them, they just sort of fell to the side at some point.
That depends. FireRed and LeafGreen are remakes of the original Red and Blue games, with most of the new enhancements added, and a few extra quests thrown on at the end. So if you're looking for something more familiar, I'd go with one of those.

Your other option would be Ruby or Sapphire, which are entirely new (lol) games. And by that I mean that the Pokemon are new. It's still basically the same thing as every previous game, with the gym-going and whatnot. Except they added things like double battles and innate traits for different Pokemon.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 09, 2006, 06:14:51 pm »
nothing wrong with waiting for Diamond and Pearl either really.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 10, 2006, 12:07:06 am »
I'd just wait for Diamond and Pearl.  Even though I just went on a massive rant about how they're rehashes, if you haven't played the series for a while they defiently seem like the best place to start.  It is easily the biggest game, and most of the Pokemon are available in it, and the ones that aren't you could just trade for over wi-fi.  Plus it's compatable with Battle Revolution that's coming out for the Wii soon.

The GBA games have the problem of needing around 14 or so games to get all of the Pokes.  It's really just not worth it.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 10, 2006, 09:18:37 am »
Guess I'll just wait for Diamond and Pearl then. Thanks, folks, for the info.