Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 342104 times)

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #390 on: September 30, 2006, 10:30:13 am »
Shadow Ball is Ghost, and Ghost is a physical damage type.

Offline Paradox

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2006, 12:08:32 pm »
Ooh, neat.

Meditite can't get Earthquake or Rock Slide, can it? Rock slide is surprisingly handy for beating on flyers.

Brick Break would do the most damage out of those three, factoring in STAB from being Fighting. But Return would do only a little less, and Shadow Ball is just great stuff.

I have a Flygon who knows Earthquake already Rockslide might be an idea but seeing it is a fighting type I don't want to stick it in agaisnt flying types, plus my Lanturn has thundershock plenty of sp-atk points and flying types tend to have crap sp-def so no problem there. Medicham already knows Brick break and I use it often. Is Shadow ball Dark or Ghost? Either way it's a special move and therefore not taking advatage of its pure power ability.

Here is my team you can work out what holes need to be filled.
Flygon (Levitate): Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Crunch, Earthquake.
Lanturn (Volt Absorb): Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Thunderbolt, Surf.
Medicham (Pure power): Psycic, Calm Mind, Toxic, Brickbreak.

Currently my best winning streak is 43 in a row so it's pretty good the only pokemon that give me trouble are Swampert and Ludico. Occasionally a female Crowbat if it's set up with confuse ray and attact can mess me up but often I can get around it as I can use either thunderbolt or psycic.
If your going to have Rain Dance on Lanturn, why not have Thunder? It's 100% accurate with Rain Dance.

In R/S I had the same predicament between a Lanturn with Rain Dance and Thunder, and one with Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave, so I ended up with both (Lv 100), one for 1v1 and one for 2v2

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 01, 2006, 02:26:35 am »
I considared putting thunder on Lanturn but in the end I figured it wasn't worth using the extra move to cause rain dance for thunder and Thunder is too inaccurate to use on it's own. Thunderbolt does plenty of damage on it's own often if it requires to thunderbolts to bring an enemy down thunder isn't going to help much it will take 2 moves if I use rain dance 1st anyway.

Offline lolasan

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Poor Martian Bish
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 01, 2006, 11:33:45 am »
My random sarcastic thought of the day.

I was reading Serebii's Gym Leader page, which has the address http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/gymleaders.shtml.

While Reading... Something caught my anime-freak-ish attention, Specifically...

#1 - Hyouta - Kurogane City

First thought: Holy ****! Where's my Sakura City, Syaoran City, Fay City, and Mokona City?

Second thought: Wait, I didn't play Ruby, there may well be a Sakura City since all were named after flowers.

Third Thought: Meh, Forget it. The cities are probably named after something I can't think of. Samurai? Ninja? Colors? Kinds of Metal?

Yeah, that was my random thought of the day.

Edit: Yes, my Anime-freak self is aware that Kurogane is commonly used in Manga, so no teasing. I can recall one other instance of Kurogane Somewhere, and I think I've seen it three or four other times. The one time I can remember is Pacemaker: Kurogane, a story very similar to Ruroni Kenshin With Less boobs (YAY!) and more Guns.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 11:59:13 am by lolasan »
And with this post, I've opened yet another can of worms.

Friend: I propose a knife fight to decide

Me: But you're the only one of us who carries a knife.

Friend: Correction, four.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 01, 2006, 05:04:41 pm »

I was reading Serebii's Gym Leader page, which has the address http://www.serebii.net/diamondpearl/gymleaders.shtml.

First thought: Holy ****! Where's my Sakura City, Syaoran City, Fay City, and Mokona City?

Second thought: Wait, I didn't play Ruby, there may well be a Sakura City since all were named after flowers.

Third Thought: Meh, Forget it. The cities are probably named after something I can't think of. Samurai? Ninja? Colors? Kinds of Metal?

Edit: Yes, my Anime-freak self is aware that Kurogane is commonly used in Manga, so no teasing. I can recall one other instance of Kurogane Somewhere, and I think I've seen it three or four other times. The one time I can remember is Pacemaker: Kurogane, a story very similar to Ruroni Kenshin With Less boobs (YAY!) and more Guns.
Come again?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 01, 2006, 05:28:22 pm »
I finally found someone i can battle my pokemon agaisnt my cousin after years of saying he didn't like pokemon fianlly got it. Well he said he wasn't interested in it and yesterday i see him and he has Pokemon Ruby Poke Saphire and Pokemon Leaf green. 0_o

Anyway i saw his team despire the fact he has a Blazikan more than 10 levels higher than anything i got the fact he hasn't trained any other pokemon to any decent level means i can tak him easy.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 02, 2006, 06:27:46 am »

Another pointless anime thought.
The third Gym Leader is a small, pink haird girl, named Sumomo.  Chobits anyone?

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 02, 2006, 09:54:17 am »
I finally found someone i can battle my pokemon agaisnt my cousin after years of saying he didn't like pokemon fianlly got it. Well he said he wasn't interested in it and yesterday i see him and he has Pokemon Ruby Poke Saphire and Pokemon Leaf green. 0_o

Anyway i saw his team despire the fact he has a Blazikan more than 10 levels higher than anything i got the fact he hasn't trained any other pokemon to any decent level means i can tak him easy.

Ah, the classic failing of new trainers.

They squeak while you walk on them.  ;)

Have you considered switching Rain Dance out for something else? If it isn't part of your strategy, you might do better with a different move.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline lolasan

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Poor Martian Bish
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 02, 2006, 10:26:12 am »
Wow... maybe this theme is CLAMP Characters.

Okay, That was my sarcastic thought of the day.

Unfortunately, when I Wiki Kurogane, it pulls up said time-space-travelling ninja with no disambiguation page, so I can not get an accurate count of how often "Black Steel" appears in Anime and Manga.

Edit: Here's my previous post simplified.

1. First Gym Town's name is Kurogane
2. Random Association brought up my favorite Anime. And I demanded a gym town for the other characters.
3. Then I decided I need some more understanding of Japanese Literature to try and figure out the theme.
4. I stated I was aware that Kurogane is overused as several items from name of show to name of character to name of sword or gun in Anime and Manga, using the example of a Meiji-era manga called Pacemaker: Kurogane. Then I got random and compared it to RK.

There.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 10:29:34 am by lolasan »
And with this post, I've opened yet another can of worms.

Friend: I propose a knife fight to decide

Me: But you're the only one of us who carries a knife.

Friend: Correction, four.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 02, 2006, 06:25:31 pm »

Ah, the classic failing of new trainers.

They squeak while you walk on them.  ;)

Have you considered switching Rain Dance out for something else? If it isn't part of your strategy, you might do better with a different move.

I still use rain dance in conjuction with Surf after just to boost it agasint enemies with massive sp defence it works as a good way to take alot of enemies down the only problem is Lanturn is a very slow poke so often takes damage it's self before dishing it out. Still I'm up to a winning streak of 49 hopefully I can get number 50 on the train ride home today.

Like I said there aren't many holes in my team only Ludico, Swampert and Wishcash slip through occasionlly a well raised female crobat will give me trouble but both Medicham and Lanturn are strong agaisnt it. I just have to take i down fast. This morning I was up agaisnt one that was spaming double team although all it served to do was make it take longer to take it out the fact it was a male Crobat ment its attract as useless on my team as well.

For the record i made it to 54 in a row before the luckiest Breloom in history desimated my team.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:05:17 pm by Cobra »

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 04, 2006, 09:31:56 pm »
Just thought I'd post this in case it hadn't been mentioned:

Pokemon D/P sold over 1.5 million units in five days.

Dear god.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 05, 2006, 12:28:00 am »
I don't think it's fair to count that as Japan alone though, as most of the copies probably went to the US/Europe.
Almost everyone I know with any interest in these games has imported it.  I don't really see the point of trying to play through an RPG in Japanese, then buying it again in English later on..   :-\

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 05, 2006, 06:55:14 am »
I don't really see the point of trying to play through an RPG in Japanese, then buying it again in English later on..   :-\
Why not? It's not as if they're going to miss much in the way of plot...

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 05, 2006, 07:29:03 am »
I don't think it's fair to count that as Japan alone though, as most of the copies probably went to the US/Europe.
Almost everyone I know with any interest in these games has imported it.  I don't really see the point of trying to play through an RPG in Japanese, then buying it again in English later on..   :-\

Just a note on this subject: It beat the previous Pokemon games in launch sales by ~100,000 units. I seriously doubt importing makes up for that many of its sales.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 05, 2006, 12:13:44 pm »
Just thought I'd post this in case it hadn't been mentioned:

Pokemon D/P sold over 1.5 million units in five days.

Dear god.

No way is PSP coming back from this.

No ****ing way.

By the by, does anyone know definitively if DS/GBA games are compatable across regions? My UK copy of Advance Wars doesn't send the map to my US copy of Advance wars DS, but I don't know if this is just a quirk with Advance Wars, or if it'll apply to pokémon as well. I have a US copy of Pokémon Sapphire and UK DS, if the DS's region makes any difference. I need to know whether I have to import an American copy of Pokémon Pearl in order to upload my pokémon, or if I can wait for the UK release.
Not a winner anymore.