Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341719 times)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #375 on: September 28, 2006, 06:22:53 am »
But it'll have 120 speed, and thus outpace pretty much everything to the OHKO.

I'm more interested in apparent Dragon-ghost badass, though, .

Is it just me, or does look like an alternate evolution of Gardevoir? Seems like a lot of pokemon are getting evolutions: Electabuzz , Magmar , Tangela , Lickitung ...

And IS THIS FINALLY THE GRASS-TYPE EVEELUTION?

DUN DUN DUN!

Also this one looks like an eevelution:

Thanks for postin' that list of sprites. It'll keep me occupied for hours. I mean, now I know that the badass frog evolves:
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 28, 2006, 06:37:02 am »
Also the speacial ability of this legendary normal type might balance it out some as well.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 28, 2006, 08:22:55 am »

DUN DUN DUN!

Thanks for postin' that list of sprites. It'll keep me occupied for hours. I mean, now I know that the badass frog evolves:
Spoiler: The new Eeveelutions look like crap. :(

EDIT: The Steel/Fire thing in the top left looks pretty awesome. Level 70, too. Could it be the Mewtwo/Rayquaza of D/P?

I'm sure there will be more no legends options in any case it just makes fighting types even better. Train the attack stats like crazy and go to town.

In other news been having fun in battle tower in Ruby although I have the worst luck sometimes. Ludico and swampert also cause me trouble as i don't have anything thats super effective and they have good stats. that evolved Wiscash (what ever its called) which has same elements of Swampert is the same but the stats aren't as good so not too bad. Everything else I come up agaisnt hasn't caused too much trouble thank god for toxic it saved my arse so many times with hard to put down pokes.

If anyone has a better stratergy than sending in medicham toxic then clam mind then psycic would be a help as i don't always have enough time to do all that.
You're using Toxic, Calm Mind and Psychic on Medicham? That's kind of wasting its trait. I'd advise you use physical moves instead of using him as a special attacker.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 08:26:03 am by Bastardman »

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 28, 2006, 08:39:38 am »
The Eeveelutions are pretty disapointing, but I was never all that fond of Eevee to begin with, I thought most of his evolutions were pretty bland and ugly.  There also seems to be far too many legendaries.  What's going on with that pink/yellow thing and the Metagross look-a-like?  These guys just seem unnecesary, not to mention *another* Regi.

However, I do really like the new Aipom, Magneton, Porygon, Murkrow, Misdrevous, etc.  Most of the new evolutions of the old guys are really cool, I can't wait to see Magmar.  I'm pretty happy with the game so far.  It seemed like things were only getting worse and worse, I was extremely disapointed when R/S came out, not just because of the poor Pokemon designs, but the region itself was pretty horrible, but Diamond/Pearl seem to be a huge improvement.  They just need to calm down with the Legendaries.

Oh, and also, there only seems to be 150 Pokemon in the game.  Which means anyone who doesn't have the older GBA games is going to be missing out on a lot, including a lot of the new evolutions.  Things like Electabuzz are not in the game at all, dispite him now evolving.  Got to wonder if that's such a good idea.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 28, 2006, 08:44:41 am »
The Eeveelutions are pretty disapointing, but I was never all that fond of Eevee to begin with, I thought most of his evolutions were pretty bland and ugly.  There also seems to be far too many legendaries.  What's going on with that pink/yellow thing and the Metagross look-a-like?  These guys just seem unnecesary, not to mention *another* Regi.

However, I do really like the new Aipom, Magneton, Porygon, Murkrow, Misdrevous, etc.  Most of the new evolutions of the old guys are really cool, I can't wait to see Magmar.  I'm pretty happy with the game so far.  It seemed like things were only getting worse and worse, I was extremely disapointed when R/S came out, not just because of the poor Pokemon designs, but the region itself was pretty horrible, but Diamond/Pearl seem to be a huge improvement.  They just need to calm down with the Legendaries.

Oh, and also, there only seems to be 150 Pokemon in the game.  Which means anyone who doesn't have the older GBA games is going to be missing out on a lot, including a lot of the new evolutions.  Things like Electabuzz are not in the game at all, dispite him now evolving.  Got to wonder if that's such a good idea.
It shouldn't be too bad, what with wi-fi trading and all. But 150 DOES seem a bit low. It is the lowest Dex count yet, along with RBY...

And I did hear that Shinou is the ONLY region you can explore in D/P. So no Sevii Islands equivalent, I guess. Hmm...  :-\

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 28, 2006, 08:52:01 am »
I actually completely forgot about wi-fi trading.  I was thinking along the lines of the low dex count ruining the game for new fans, because they wouldn't be able to get half the Pokemon, but thanks to wi-fi, I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem to find specific Pokemon you need.

And I don't have a problem with the game world, Shinou is huge it has far more towns, cities and places to explore than the other games, and the routes between them are a lot bigger as well.

Offline Paradox

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 28, 2006, 09:32:21 am »
Im torn between looking at all the new Pokemon, and from that choose a future team to train as I progress through the game or ignore the news so it is mostly new. I managed to ruin R/S by knowing practically everything bout it through the internet. Racing through Red on Christmas day, trying to beat my brother to the next badge while discovering all the new pokemon is one of my fondest gaming memories

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 28, 2006, 10:12:52 am »

DUN DUN DUN!

Spoiler: The new Eeveelutions look like crap. :(

EDIT: The Steel/Fire thing in the top left looks pretty awesome. Level 70, too. Could it be the Mewtwo/Rayquaza of D/P?

Middle right: an evolution of Regirock? Also Magneton.

Well, all of the eevelutions are pretty solid pokemon. I'm sure that these Ice and Grass-type ones will be useful somewhere, despite having weaker types than the rest.

The problem is that I'd need to buy Leaf/Fire/Green/Red to get a lot of these now evolutions, which makes me sad. Unless the Wii game'll let me get them.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 28, 2006, 08:20:54 pm »
You're using Toxic, Calm Mind and Psychic on Medicham? That's kind of wasting its trait. I'd advise you use physical moves instead of using him as a special attacker.

Yeah i thinking i might get rid of calm mind as i don't use it too much although I'm not sure what to put in it's place obviously something that is a good physical attack. Any suggestions?

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 29, 2006, 10:44:31 am »
I actually completely forgot about wi-fi trading.  I was thinking along the lines of the low dex count ruining the game for new fans, because they wouldn't be able to get half the Pokemon, but thanks to wi-fi, I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem to find specific Pokemon you need.
The problem is that I'd need to buy Leaf/Fire/Green/Red to get a lot of these now evolutions, which makes me sad. Unless the Wii game'll let me get them.
Apparently, a bunch of wild, non-Shinou Pokemon do indeed become available after obtaining the National Dex, ala FireRed/LeafGreen.

Yeah i thinking i might get rid of calm mind as i don't use it too much although I'm not sure what to put in it's place obviously something that is a good physical attack. Any suggestions?
Brick Break, Shadow Ball and/or Return would be good.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 29, 2006, 10:55:39 am »
Ooh, neat.

Meditite can't get Earthquake or Rock Slide, can it? Rock slide is surprisingly handy for beating on flyers.

Brick Break would do the most damage out of those three, factoring in STAB from being Fighting. But Return would do only a little less, and Shadow Ball is just great stuff.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 29, 2006, 04:41:16 pm »
I just read the IGN preview of this game (http://ds.ign.com/objects/707/707323.html) and I have to say, I'm buying it.  I haven't played a Pokemon game since Red / Blue, but the idea of playing online is just too cool to pass up.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 29, 2006, 04:55:29 pm »
That ten-year retrospective brought back a lot of memories.

[Flashback]"But what does String Shot do?"[/flashback]

I've come a long way, baby.

[Flashside]"Each pokemon, in battle, accumulates points, known as "Effort Values," depending on the opposition. There are Effort Values for each stat that a pokemon has, and battling different opponents grants varying amounts of EV's to a particular stat (for instant, battling a Wigglytuff gives 4 HP EV's.) Now, when your pokemon levels up after accumulating EV's, they are translated into increases in stats (on top of the base increases per level for that pokemon), at a rate of (as I recall) 4 EVs = 1 stat point. There is a limit to the number of EV's that can be obtained; this is the same for all pokemon."[/flashside]

I wonder what the future will hold?

[Flashforward]"I am playing Pokemon Pearl."[/flashforward]
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 29, 2006, 07:57:04 pm »
Flashpresent-

I am playing pokemon red rescue force. It's da SHIZZLE!

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 29, 2006, 11:05:11 pm »
Ooh, neat.

Meditite can't get Earthquake or Rock Slide, can it? Rock slide is surprisingly handy for beating on flyers.

Brick Break would do the most damage out of those three, factoring in STAB from being Fighting. But Return would do only a little less, and Shadow Ball is just great stuff.

I have a Flygon who knows Earthquake already Rockslide might be an idea but seeing it is a fighting type I don't want to stick it in agaisnt flying types, plus my Lanturn has thundershock plenty of sp-atk points and flying types tend to have crap sp-def so no problem there. Medicham already knows Brick break and I use it often. Is Shadow ball Dark or Ghost? Either way it's a special move and therefore not taking advatage of its pure power ability.

Here is my team you can work out what holes need to be filled.
Flygon (Levitate): Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Crunch, Earthquake.
Lanturn (Volt Absorb): Ice Beam, Rain Dance, Thunderbolt, Surf.
Medicham (Pure power): Psycic, Calm Mind, Toxic, Brickbreak.

Currently my best winning streak is 43 in a row so it's pretty good the only pokemon that give me trouble are Swampert and Ludico. Occasionally a female Crowbat if it's set up with confuse ray and attact can mess me up but often I can get around it as I can use either thunderbolt or psycic.