Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341199 times)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #225 on: August 03, 2006, 05:41:16 pm »
I wouldn't be suprised if they made the psycic some kind of duel type pokemon anyway to overcome the fact that it is 100% in effective against dark type. Not actully giving it a secondary type that has an advantage just something random that is neutral like say flying for example.

Although Flying would be cool as it would help agaisnt the weakness to bugs but anyway its just something they could do.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 04, 2006, 07:02:01 am »
When would you ever be in a situation where you need to use a Psychic Pokemon against a Dark one, except the first rival battle, where your only attacks are Scratch or Tackle?

Interestingly, the only psychic type that can learn tackle is... Starmie. And none of then learn scratch.

It happens surprisingly often early in the game, and you might not be able to secure a powerful fighter to deal with it. Psychic type has been nerfed more than enough already. A Dark-type starter might just push it too far.

Think about how the physical-special switch affects psychic-type: Alakazam's elemental punches suck, Hitmonchan's are suddenly badassed. Dark-types with hefty attack stat no longer need to rely on Shadow Ball for dishing out the hurt, they can use Bite and Crunch, and get the same-type-attack-boost. At least Psychics that can learn Shadow Ball can now fight back against Dark-types, but the switch hurts them more than it helps them.

If the Psychic starter was dual-typed, odds-on it'll be dual typed with fire, water, or grass. And so will the Dark. And there's already Fighting/Fire and Fighting/Water three stage pokemon.

When was the last time you had to resort to using Ember on a water type?

I can't remember using Ember. I use Flamethrower on water types all the time.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2006, 07:16:36 am »
Most Water/Grass/Fire types don't learn Scratch or Tackle either, but the starters did.
This argument is really pointless, yes, Dark has an immunity of Psychic, but it really doesn't make a difference.  Look at Venusaur's 4x Resistance to water, he practically was immune to it, did that make starting with Squirtle pointless, or difficult?

And if you're using Flamethrower on water Pokemon, then that's your problem.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 04, 2006, 07:34:37 am »
Venusaur only has resistance to water, not double resistance. A determined enough Blastoise could take him, or he could learn Ice Beam and mash him good. Charizard can Slash Blastoise, or learn Earthquake or something.

A Psychic starter would need Shadow Ball to even stand a chance. It's a lot of hassle to balance the three against each other when there's already a perfectly good triangle triangle to use. Even a Fighting/Flying/Rock triangle could work, but total immunity just doesn't work.

Confuse Ray, Flamethrower, Flamethrower from a Ninetales can drop a same-level water pokemon most of the time, if it doesn't kill you with Surf. I used a Ninetales in Battle Tower. Psychic types really suffer there, if they're relying on Psychic as their main attack - it's tricky to get good special attacks onto a Psychic, since flamethrower/thunderbolt/ice beam TM's don't work for most of them.

The fact that we even need to argue about this makes the rumour seem less viable, to me at least: Why would Game Freak fight over this when it would be so much simpler to stick to what they know works?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2006, 09:35:29 am »
A Psychic starter would need Shadow Ball to even stand a chance. It's a lot of hassle to balance the three against each other when there's already a perfectly good triangle triangle to use. Even a Fighting/Flying/Rock triangle could work, but total immunity just doesn't work.
Who says Psychic types have to have crappy attack power? All of the other starters up to now have had fairly decent stats in both Attack and Special Attack. Just because it works that way for most Psychics doesn't mean they can't have Tackle or Pound or something to start and a reasonable attack stat to go along with it.  ::)

In fact, there already are Psychic pokes with this kind of balance. Hypno has exactly the same Attack as Special Attack.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2006, 11:02:38 am »
But what can Hypno do with that attack power? Shadow Ball... and that's about it.

Sure, they can have fine attack stats. But Psychic types tend not to get a lot of non-Psychic moves, so any starter would surely have to dual-type.

Still, this argument is based on the assumption that there won't be kickass new non-psychic moves that a psychic starter can learn. Perhaps there will be.

Besides, there are lots of triangles that don't have any total immunity - Fighting/Flying/Ice, for example, or Poison/Bug/Psychic. Why use Dark/Psychic?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2006, 12:59:16 pm »
Poison isn't super-effective against bug anymore. Seems for some reason they decided to nerf what was already an underpowered type. Although they did the same thing to Ice...

And because they're cool, that's why!  :P

But I'd be fine with any type combination, it's just Grass/Fire/Water is getting boring at this stage.

Offline Oberic

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2006, 01:02:38 pm »
Hmm.. bug poison psychic..... Actually there could be plenty of non psychic attacks in D&P.. or .. maybe the weakness system will be slightly changed (I hope not..).. much like attack/sp.attack....  me want ditto!

Dark,psychic, and fighting are fine..  maybe they'll all get double typed..?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 01:05:32 pm by Oberic »

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2006, 01:03:44 pm »
You can get Ditto in FireRed and LeafGreen, I believe...

Offline Oberic

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2006, 01:07:12 pm »
yeah.. but I didn't even try to get them for a long time 'cause I thought it was just a stupid remake.. but it can trade with ruby!! yay. But, I want beedrill and meowth.. I can't get both with just fire red.. :(

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2006, 01:30:57 pm »
In Pokemon XD for the Gamecube, you can get both Beedrill, and Meowth.
And if the alleged new starters shown on Serebii prove to be real, it looks as if the Psychic starter could be half electric.  Which would completely stop this Dark immunity crap.

They're not confirmed to be real, but the art style matches the previously shown Pokemon.  If it's fake, someone has gone to some amount of effort.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2006, 02:38:04 pm »
Poison isn't super-effective against bug anymore. Seems for some reason they decided to nerf what was already an underpowered type. Although they did the same thing to Ice...

Whoa. When did that happen? I've played Sapphire for 100+ hours and didn't notice that'd changed. That's crazy!

So it seems you might be right. I'm still distrustful of those starters, though - Psychic Rhino? Sure, a Psychic Tapir makes sense, but a Psychic Rhino?

Still, at least Toxic's a badass move. Poison ain't all bad.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 04, 2006, 11:05:02 pm »
Looks more like a Psycic Triceratops to me.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2006, 05:51:17 am »
Looks kinds lame to me. :P

I was going to go for a psychic if I bougth the game, but I'd rather have a boxing kangaroo.

Plus all I have to do is catch a dark pokemon to pwn my rival.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2006, 07:50:58 am »

Well, here are the real starters.  Turns out they're fire, grass and water after all.
They look kind of cool, but it's pretty disapointing that they're going with the same types again.  Looks like the game is going to be nothing more than another rehash.