Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341304 times)

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2006, 10:35:40 am »
Base stat value thingys.

werechicken

« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2006, 11:40:08 am »
the lower the lvl you start training them the higher they can get to

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2006, 01:24:17 pm »
Yes*, maybe**, no***.

*Gyarados has very powerful physical attacks, and only two weaknesses. Gold!

**Are hatched pokemon better than wild pokemon? I haven't noticed it, at least.

***Wtf?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2006, 01:30:14 pm »
the lower the lvl you start training them the higher they can get to
O RLY?!

What are you basing that on? If you start EV training a newly-caught, high-level poke, it can get stat gains of 10+ points per level up. If you've been training it from level 5, it gets the same increases, but slower. There's a cap on the amount of stat points you can gain from EVs depending on what level you're on.

**Are hatched pokemon better than wild pokemon? I haven't noticed it, at least.
Not that I know of, but, with breeding, it's much easier to accumulate new pokes en masse and keep the one(s) with the most promising stats.

werechicken

« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2006, 02:12:09 pm »
what are you talking about!? if you train a pokemon (leveling it up, I have no idea what EV's even are and don't really care) from a very low level later on it' stats will be much higher than a wild pokemon that is off the same level

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2006, 03:06:09 pm »
what are you talking about!? if you train a pokemon (leveling it up, I have no idea what EV's even are and don't really care) from a very low level later on it' stats will be much higher than a wild pokemon that is off the same level

Entertainingly, that's due to EVs, Effort Values. EVs add to stat increases at level up, and are gained by defeating other pokemon. Different types of pokemon give EVs for different stats. Wild pokemon start off with none, and thus have none of the increases to stats, but since there is a limit to the number of EVs that can be gained, as long as both pokemon have maxed them out, their initial level of capture is irrelevant.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2006, 06:07:45 pm »

Granted a poke that was trained from level 5 would be higher at level 30 than a poke of the same species caught at level 30 but by the time you hit level 100 you have maxed out each pokemons EVs and the only thing that that would make a differeance between the pokemon is the IV (indivdual values) and the bonuses granted from a pokemons personality which are not affected by level.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2006, 04:48:39 pm »
Unfortunately though, there's no way to trade between the older games.  The GBA games only work with other GBA and Gamecube games, apparently it's impossible for GBA games to communicate with old Gameboy games, plus the stat system was completely reworked in Ruby/Sapphire.  They have at least promised that Diamond and Pearl works with all the GBA games.

Uhm, for some reason, a friend of mine doesn't believe diamond and pearl are compatible with r/s/e/fr/lg...could you cite your source?

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2006, 10:24:48 am »
Unfortunately though, there's no way to trade between the older games.  The GBA games only work with other GBA and Gamecube games, apparently it's impossible for GBA games to communicate with old Gameboy games, plus the stat system was completely reworked in Ruby/Sapphire.  They have at least promised that Diamond and Pearl works with all the GBA games.

Uhm, for some reason, a friend of mine doesn't believe diamond and pearl are compatible with r/s/e/fr/lg...could you cite your source?

Practically any videogame site with coverage of the game. Try www.serebii.net or even just Wikipedia. But Wikipedia hosts that absolutely daft "Psychic, Dark, Fighting" rumour, so don't rely on it for too much.

It's confirmed, though
Not a winner anymore.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 03, 2006, 10:54:04 am »
It was one of the developers themselves that stated the new starters are Psychic, Dark and Fighting.

A lot of people are still trying to pass it off as a rumour, but like I said, it came from one of the developers themselves on the official website - who also gave a lot of other information at the same time - that the psysical and special attacks are being changed, Roselia will have an evolution, etc, and all that other information we know for definate, I'm not sure why there's so much controversy over the starters types.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 03, 2006, 11:24:34 am »
It would be a welcome change, anyway. I mean, Grass/Water/Fire was fine the first three times, but enough is enough!

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 03, 2006, 12:39:40 pm »
The Psychic/Fighting//Dark seems like a pretty cool addition. The old one just seemed so... obvious. :P Plus, those types of pokemon (P/F/D) tend to look cooler.

BTW, what is Pokemon Trapezei about? I've seen hordes of copies for it, and I have no clue as to what it is for.
Plus, what's the estimated release date for the new pokemon games?

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 03, 2006, 01:02:37 pm »
It was one of the developers themselves that stated the new starters are Psychic, Dark and Fighting.

A lot of people are still trying to pass it off as a rumour, but like I said, it came from one of the developers themselves on the official website - who also gave a lot of other information at the same time - that the psysical and special attacks are being changed, Roselia will have an evolution, etc, and all that other information we know for definate, I'm not sure why there's so much controversy over the starters types.

Because you'd have to be stupid to pick Psychic, as Dark is completely immune to it. Not to mention that the types run on different attack stats.

Plus, it seems odd that it doesn't appear alongside the confirmed information on Serebii, or, in fact, any site I've yet seen.

Pokemon trozei's a spin-off puzzle game. Match three pokemon heads in a row, blah blah blah.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 03, 2006, 01:13:22 pm »
When would you ever be in a situation where you need to use a Psychic Pokemon against a Dark one, except the first rival battle, where your only attacks are Scratch or Tackle?

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 03, 2006, 02:28:30 pm »
When would you ever be in a situation where you need to use a Psychic Pokemon against a Dark one, except the first rival battle, where your only attacks are Scratch or Tackle?
Seriously.

When was the last time you had to resort to using Ember on a water type?