Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341118 times)

werechicken

Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2006, 02:08:48 am »
me neither, and If I want a ridiculosly strong pokemon relative to it's lvl I'll just get a very low lvl jiggylypuff use a moonstone on it as soon as it learns sing and then teach it a bunch of tm's by the time it's lvl30 it can take on a normally evolved pokemon of around lvl 40

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2006, 07:05:49 pm »
If you ask me EVs are counterintuitive. Surely it should depend onwhat your pokemon's actions are. For example, if they take a lot of damamge then they should have larger defense and HP gains, if they dole out lots of damage, they should gain attack/sp. attack. I dont see whay only attacking spindas would cause your poke to become a mighty attacker. It makes no sense. Also, you can just use vitamins. Since EV are capped and by the time youre doing things like this money wont be an issue, theres no point in attacking whismurs 'till your thumbs bleed

Actully I'll admit that sounds like a good idea I'd much rather see that implemented although i guess it would be hard to say train your defence as you would be constantly on the look out for faster and generally higher level pokemon otherwise you just end up strikeing 1st and getting 1 hit KO's

gec05

« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2006, 11:14:32 pm »
I don't know if anyone posted this yet but there is a trailer for this.

It's Japanese though.

Next to the video there are some other videos showing some of the gameplay. It looks kinda 3D-ish.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 11:16:31 pm by gec05 »

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 16, 2006, 12:27:41 am »
The commercial also shows some kind of Pokemon customisation.  We can't really say to what extent, but he dragged a crown on to the Squirrels head.  Hopefully you can get lots of items like this that show up in battles.  Having more personalized Pokemon is something I've wanted for a long time, and since this one can be played online, I think it's almost necessary to be able to do this. 

I want a Pikachu with little flight goggles, and my Aipom with a beret.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 16, 2006, 02:27:09 am »
The overworld is 3d(ish) but its still dissapointing the battles are static exchanges of little symbols.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 16, 2006, 05:57:19 am »
Oh yeah, apparently the Ev's for pokemon are based on their best stat. So spinda, roselia=Sp Atk. evs. Anyway, Ev's do generally give you good pokemon. That wigglytuff would be pretty good with or without Ev training, but with Ev's it would be more focued. That's why I have some that are Ev'ed and some that aren't.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2006, 12:44:27 am »
Some new snippets of information

• The Battle system has been changed "dramatically".  Attacks like Thunderpunch are now actual Physical attacks, instead of special.
  • The region of Shinou, where the game is set, has a large underground section
  • One of the developers hints that the starters are Fighting/Dark and Pshyic types

I like the fact they've changed the battle system, I only hope it's more than what has been said.  I still think the IV/EV system should go.  There's no point in having a hidden stat system when everyone knows about it.  I know the really hardcore fans will still argue with me, but it's one of the few factors that makes the battle system completely broken.  How about we have a fun game that anyone can play, instead of it being worse than a typical MMO, in where whoever grinds the most, wins.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2006, 02:41:18 am »
I'm glad theye finally broken out of the stupid fire/water/grass starting cycle. Now if they can just not name the professor after a tree we're laughing.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2006, 03:47:02 am »
If Ev's are gone in the sequel, I'm gonna be kinda suprised. Since they'll be compatible with r/s/e/fr/lg/e. But it would be nice if they dissapeared. Matt is gonna be really thrown off by the new battle system element thingy. But the starters should not not NOT be dark and psi. That would be unbalanced. A complete immunity. Not nice.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2006, 05:10:04 am »
I don't see what's wrong with having Dark, Fighting and Psychic, it works out pretty well.  Dark is completely immune to Psychic, but I don't see where that would be a problem, even if the rival still picks a type advantage over yours, it's not like the Psychic Pokemon will have any psychic attacks at all to begin with, and by the time it would be a problem, you're going to have more than the one Pokemon.  I'm glad they've finally decided to mix things up, I loved the old starter types but it's been done, it's boring, it's about time they tried something new.

And hey, Lucario may actually be a starter Pokemon.  He was previously believed to be a Legendary, but so was Blaziken.
Since he's a fighting type, has been shown as a male Pokemon, and is always around level 40, it wouldn't surprise me to see him as a starter.  (Yeah, there are still things going against it, but I can still hope.)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 05:14:25 am by WinterSnowblind »

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2006, 05:45:13 am »
I like this new starter as a change from fire water and grass although something have kind of hoped to see was have the 3 starters duel types as fire/grass, grass/water and water/fire. Although I guess that can be done with any 3 rock paper siccors set.

Personally I don't see how it's to much of a grind as to be the best you have to be lvl 100 which takes massive grinding it's a matter of if you do it at the elite 4 or at a place that specializes in what you planning on improving and in anycase by the time you have a team that can take on the 4 with any hope of winning you have probably maxed out your Ev's anyway.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2006, 08:57:32 am »
And hey, Lucario may actually be a starter Pokemon.  He was previously believed to be a Legendary, but so was Blaziken.
Since he's a fighting type, has been shown as a male Pokemon, and is always around level 40, it wouldn't surprise me to see him as a starter.  (Yeah, there are still things going against it, but I can still hope.)

It honestly doesnt look like a legendary to me. It has the feel of the third evolution of a starter from the last few games.

Its clearly what evolves from a small fox like creature. (which seems like an ideal starter)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2006, 07:16:17 pm »
The last pokemon game I played was silver, with the exception of a few hours of Ruby from a freind. I might get the DS light (I'm currently on color, been saving up for Spore and all related expenses :D) and then try this out. So excuse me, but what is this whole Ev thing?

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2006, 03:05:10 am »
Ev is Effort value I think it was introduced in R/S basically its a behind the scenes value. Basically it determines where various bonuses to your stats go at level up. Where there Evs go depend on the pokemon you battle.

Example: Whismer's give you HP Evs so battleing alot of Whismers will increase give you a huge HP boost on lvl up. Numel's have SpAtt Evs so battleing lots of them give Special attack Bonuses at level up. Also naturally better evolved pokemon give better Evs but finding wild evolved Pokemon is harder.

Thats the basics of it.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2006, 02:47:25 am »
Lucario doesn't look very apealing..I wonder what the legendaries (not the oness one the covers of the games) will be..?