Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 341248 times)

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« on: June 16, 2006, 06:29:01 am »
I thought we needed a new topic about the recently announced Pokemon games.  While they don't seem to be much of an improvement over the previous games, they do have some pretty cool new features.  I wouldn't go as far to say that they "breathe new life into the series", but the games definatly look like they'll be great for fans of the series.  For people who don't know, Pokemon is an RPG series - on the DS this time round that revolves around capturing monsters and battling with them to level them up.  I know many people will still think of this as a kids game, but it's a pretty deep RPG, at least battle wise.  It involves a lot of training and strategy and is one of the most balanced RPG's I've ever played.  For people who love collecting, or power leveling hundreds of little critters, you should definatly give it a try.

Firstly, the day and night cycle make a return, after being mysteriously absent from the previous few games.  This means, if you play the game at night, it will be night in the game, allowing you to capture some of the more nocturnal Pokemon.

There also appears to be different variations for the male and female Pokemon.  While this isn't a huge difference, it is pretty cool to not have every single Pokemon you come across look identical.  In the picture below, the male Wooper has longer antena than the female.

It also has numerous other smaller updates, such as being able to monitor the Pokemon in the day care centre, so if you're Pokemon happen to produce an Egg, you'll know about it, instead of having to constantly back track to the Day care, only to find you still don't have an egg.

It's also going to be the first DS game to link up to the Wii, to another Pokemon game, known as Battle Revolution, which is looking similiar to the Stadium type games released on the N64, but with a massive graphical over haul.  Bits of the arena fly apart during one of the Pokemons attacks. It also features some kind of RPG mode. The game does look really impressive and for once the Pokemon actually physically hit each other.  Both games feature Wi-fi for battling and trading with others online and are due out in Japan later this year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lj2Jqz-rxk8&search=Battle%20Revolution
A video of Battle Revolution in action.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:57:05 am by Gec »

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémon: Diamond & Pearl
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 06:46:26 am »
Looks good, I think I may just decide to get back into it. I haven't played Pokémon since I got all 151 on the original Blue version, only to have someone start a new game and erase all my progress.  :-\

The game does look really impressive and for once the Pokemon actually physically hit each other.
Hah. ;D
That was one of things I found really amusing about the original Stadium. Even body slams and tackles showed the attacking Pokémon run forward, stop abruptly and then a second later, the defending Pokémon bowled over as if by an invisible force.

Good times!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lj2Jqz-rxk8&search=Battle%20Revolution
A video of Battle Revolution in action.
Impressive!

Offline Global Nexus

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 06:50:58 am »
Heh, having played Pokémon games since getting the old Blue Version the night of the game's release, I'm still amazed how excited I get for these games.  Diamond and Pearl especially as this brings back one of my favorite features from Gold/Silver/Crystal: Day and Night.  Only it's greatly expanded!  It's like R/S/E had babies with G/S/C, and produced Diamond and Pearl.  I don't think I could ever tire of these games. <3  And the "Pokémon Battle Revolution" thing looks just plain great.  I loved the Stadium games, myself.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 06:58:00 am »
I hope diamond and pearl has better battle animations too. Actually animating the pokes would be nice... as if they could be arsed.

But judging by the identical expressions and positions of the tadpole-like freaks I'm thinking no  :(
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 07:18:38 am »
Well, jeez, animating THAT many sprites would be a hell of a lot of work, thought it would be nice. What number are they up to now, anyway?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 07:36:50 am »
Well, the key here is they dont neccessarily have to be sprites. The DS can handle 3D. Look at metroid prime: hunters. Just make it cell-shadey so its in keeping with the art style of the handhelds and youre set. (I notice that the 'overworld' is done that way)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 07:40:33 am »
Good point, actually.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 07:53:27 am »
It does appear the have animated intro's like they did in Crystal and Emerald, though it's not confirmed.

And I have to agree with the 3D thing.  At the very least they could have made the battles 3D, they really need to make the battles more interesting.  Battle Revolution manages to make the battles look really exciting even though they work exactly the same way, after seeing that it's just disapointing to look at the DS games and see the battle are just static sprites.  Still, it's the gameplay that's important.

And there's currently 386 Pokemon, not counting any of the new ones for this game.  With Diamond and Pearl, I'm guessing they'll be around 500.  Some people might say that's too much, but hey, that's quite a selection for a team of six.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 07:59:21 am »
And there's currently 386 Pokemon, not counting any of the new ones for this game.  With Diamond and Pearl, I'm guessing they'll be around 500.  Some people might say that's too much, but hey, that's quite a selection for a team of six.

:o That is a LOT of Pokemon. I've been getting interested in trying Pokemon games again, but I'm so far behind. Haven't played since Yellow, unless you count the Pokemon Trading Card Game for the GBA -- which I still think was my favorite even though I ordinarily detest card games.

Just seems like it'd be hard to crack back into the series at this point.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 08:27:07 am »
im starting to hate those games....i used to like them but now i got enuf of m and lot o my friends stil playing talking about how good their pokemon are  :-\

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 09:14:40 am »
I used to like poke'mon, but it got hard to follow after they added a bunch of new creators (Plus I was in 6th grade)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 11:42:21 pm »
I will always say Pokemon games aren't just for kids I have suck countless hours in to Poke Blue and Poke Ruby. I'm now 23 the TV series yes stay away from that it's terrible but they make solid games that can be played through many times.

Having said that I don't know why you can say its a balanced game some pokemon are so incredibly over powered even still Psycic pokemon are a little over powered its been reigned in a bit with the inclusion of Dark pokemon but until a really really good Dark pokemon is made Psycic will rule.

Also Bug pokemon are under powered most bug are seen in the 1st area evolve into a butterfly like creature and are useless after level 20. Theres needs to be some killer bugs that are on par strength wise with the starting poke you get. Also that should help even out Psycic pokemon.

Lets not get started on how crap Poison ones are.

Offline Genesis

• Elevator Action Operator
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 11:50:41 pm »
Yes I remeber my old stradegem, and it stands for every one I play. Get at least one or two Psychic's on your team.

What will you do?

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 11:56:15 pm »
If you don't have a Psyscic you're screwed.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 12:15:41 am »
I will always say Pokemon games aren't just for kids I have suck countless hours in to Poke Blue and Poke Ruby. I'm now 23 the TV series yes stay away from that it's terrible but they make solid games that can be played through many times.

Having said that I don't know why you can say its a balanced game some pokemon are so incredibly over powered even still Psycic pokemon are a little over powered its been reigned in a bit with the inclusion of Dark pokemon but until a really really good Dark pokemon is made Psycic will rule.

Also Bug pokemon are under powered most bug are seen in the 1st area evolve into a butterfly like creature and are useless after level 20. Theres needs to be some killer bugs that are on par strength wise with the starting poke you get. Also that should help even out Psycic pokemon.

Lets not get started on how crap Poison ones are.

Any Dark or Ghost Pokemon will rape a Pshycic type.  It's more than easy enough to make a team of Pokemon that doesn't include a single Psychic.  In the original Red/blue, yeah, Psychics were horribly overpowered, but that's why there's a dark type now.  Even a simple Arcanine with Crunch can anhilate a Mewtwo.  There are a few "uber" Pokemon that are just insanely overpowered, but these are generally considered bad practice, most people won't use them on their team, let alone battle against them.  And yeah, there are still some weaklings, but there has to be some kind of variation.

And there are plenty of really good bug Pokemon.  Heracross, Scizor, Armaldo and Shedinja are up there with the best of them.