Author Topic: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread  (Read 387880 times)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: A Comprehensive Pokémon Thread
« Reply #3120 on: July 07, 2016, 06:08:59 am »

hhhehehehe
Not a winner anymore.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: July 07, 2016, 02:03:50 pm »
I LIKE
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: July 07, 2016, 02:36:54 pm »
Me too.  It it supposed to look like it's wearing gloves and a mask?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: July 07, 2016, 03:21:18 pm »
I walked up to the front of the apartment complex to check my mailbox and caught four pokemon along the way.  I like this game.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: July 07, 2016, 03:35:12 pm »
Yeah, Go's pretty fun. I've caught like ten uniques so far and there are five stops and a gym at a nearby park. Good stuff.

Offline Inkling

• Strider Hiryu
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: July 07, 2016, 03:54:10 pm »
When the servers are working, that is.  But I can understand them being overwhelmed.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: July 07, 2016, 06:29:59 pm »
Count yourself lucky.  It's still not in Canada yet :(.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: July 08, 2016, 02:45:00 am »
or in Ireland/the UK :(

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: July 08, 2016, 04:09:00 am »
http://www.techradar.com/how-to/gaming/how-to-download-and-play-pokemon-go-right-now-1324484

Haven't tested it, because my cellphone is too crappy to play it.

If that doesn't work, maybe you just have to wait.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: July 08, 2016, 05:10:03 am »
Hey thanks GD, that worked.

So charmander was logged into the surface of a kitchen cabinet.

Not so sure about the AR aspect of this game. But the GPS stuff is cool. I'm amazed by how many landmarks they've managed to find in my neighbourhood of suburban south dublin. Just stuff like cool graffiti or historical plaques in parks. Also, there's a gym about a minutes walk away from me.

looking forward to taking it out on a walk later.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3130 on: July 08, 2016, 07:39:25 am »
The AR aspect of it is what it is.

I can say that Nintendo has been playing with the AR tech pretty seriously since the 3DS came out. And before that they were still researching VR. Glad to see someone using their tech for something semi-interesting. I absolutely love all the pictures of people holding guns up to Pokemon that are invading their houses.

All that said, this isn't the best implementation of Nintendo's AR that I've seen before. Check out Chibi-Robo Photo Finder and Face Raiders for some very cool AR. They've got some pretty neat stuff out there and at least in terms of video games, already have years into this tech that the other companies are only just starting to get into with their AR (and VR) adventures.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: July 08, 2016, 07:56:48 am »
Right, cause the 3DS has two cameras.

There's an increasing number of smartphones with dual cameras coming out now, usually with the second camera being lower grade or even grayscale, just for the 3D data. It'd be cool to see a future version of this game that takes advantage of that technology.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3132 on: July 08, 2016, 07:59:08 am »
Definitely. Because you're absolutely correct: a second camera makes the AR a lot better.

Wonder if it'll come out for 3DS?

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: July 08, 2016, 08:05:42 am »
Maybe if it does, they would incorporate some actual battling mechanics to it.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3134 on: July 08, 2016, 08:22:41 am »
Not going to happen and I'll have Mr. Iwata tell you exactly why from beyond the graaaaaave.

Quote from: Satoru Iwata - 75th General Meeting of Shareholders
Smart device game applications are drawing attention in the game industry because so many people around the world own smart devices (smartphones and tablets) and because, even though the total number is small, there have been several successful applications that have been hugely profitable after becoming very popular.

On the other hand, the competition among smart device applications has been so fierce that Nintendo cannot succeed just by releasing any software title with its popular characters or the themes in its popular game franchises. Any company that releases a new smart device application must face the challenge of making it stand out among the crowd.

[...]

On a different note, we are not planning to release many game applications from this year (when our first smart device application will be released) to the next. The reason for this is that software for dedicated game systems is considered a “product” that tends to produce the strongest and most fresh impact on the world at the time of its release into the market but its impact can be lost gradually as time goes by. With that analogy, smart device applications have a strong aspect of “service.”

Quote from: Satoru Iwata - Nintendo/DeNA Business and Capital Alliance Conference
Accordingly, we had been thinking that if we ever decided to do it, we would have to put ourselves in the best position to prosper. For many years, Nintendo has shown results as a company which produces products that satisfy consumers with their high quality at the time of the purchase. For the content on smart devices, on the other hand, to be appreciated by consumers, they must provide ever-evolving services in addition to being high-quality products.

[...]

Please also note that, even if we use the same IP on our dedicated video game systems and smart devices, we will not port the titles for the former to the latter just as they are. There are significant differences in the controls, strengths and weaknesses between the controllers for dedicated game systems and the touchscreens of smart devices. We have no intention at all to port existing game titles for dedicated game platforms to smart devices because if we cannot provide our consumers with the best possible play experiences, it would just ruin the value of Nintendo’s IP.

And, if I can talk a bit further about our game development plan, we will continue doing our best to develop dedicated game titles for our dedicated game hardware platforms just as we have been doing. For smart devices, even in the case where we utilize the same IP, we will create completely new game software that will perfectly match the play styles of smart devices.

Emphasis added by me.
Full Sources: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/150626qa/index.html, https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/

Iwata had mentioned that the mobile games are not meant to be the same as the "proper" handheld games. The mobile games leverage the advantages of mobile devices and therefore are not designed in the same fashion or for the same styles of play/activity. This is the secret to success for Nintendo in the mobile market because they can't just pop their games on phones, the games aren't designed for phones on a fundamental level. They want to do it right: make phone games for the phone and if you like it and want a bigger, better experience, grab a 3DS and pick up Pokemon and have a blast.

That's the plan. And in my personal opinion I think they were exactly right. You can't just plop a console or handheld game on a cellphone and expect it to make the kind of profit Nintendo wants. The games have to be designed to take advantage of that ecosystem.