Author Topic: Spore Mini Games  (Read 8904 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Spore Mini Games
« on: June 15, 2006, 07:32:02 pm »
After playing such games in other games i though how fun would it be to have this included in Spore too. Basically you would have the game as is as a massively single player game. Then at diffrent points you can go into mini-games, this is to be diffrent from meta games like diplomacy, uplift etc. The mini games would be with you an an avatar hero of your species.

For instance say you are at the castle type stage in your history. You go out as the hero and have to save the princess of the other neighboring kingdom from the evil giant spider thing. You defeat it and you get some wealth, improved popularity and of course a new ally with the neighboring kingdom. Then poof your back to the normal game playing again.

Another such game would be like the prison escape game. Lets say your species leader is captured by another species and is stuck in their prison colony. This mini game is you trying to get out of the prison and back to your home planet again. Once you get to the escape pods it returns you back to the normal game and you gain control of your people again and they are happy to see you again.

In short these types of games would all be based upon a set of scenarios to do calling up the diffrent species building type, weapon type , what they look like etc. This way they could be interchangeable no matter what the combination of species. And the best part is this is all still single player.

What do you think?

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Mini Games
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 11:49:50 pm »
I like the idea, but there would be a problem with regulating them. Someone in the middle of doing a chain of alterations to a camp/city who gets interrupted by a mandatory minigame, will probably be annoyed and forget what they were doing when they return. Keep them optional, and make sure that the player can take them when they so feel like (as not to interrupt), and thats a great idea. In my minds eye, I see them being clones of old classic games like the original mario bros, or "Scorched Earth / Scorched Tanks", or space invaders, and actually play out in a mock 2D fashion, but with all the pieces replaced with things you have made, or that the game has downloaded for you. I could even see you using your UFO as a pong-paddle to deflect an incoming meteorite away from your planet, and not too far away, another space-faring civilisation is deflecting it back, also in a panic and trying to save their people. Or in a medieval-style age, setting up a siege catapulat and trading shots : "Angle 65, Power 80, Rotation 15, fire!" "Miss!". Heh, that sounded more like battleships than 'scorched earth'. Silly little things like that, are just what this game needs, I think.

How they'd weave them in without breaking the feel of continuity in the game, I dont know, but it would be fun. Procedurally generated "Streets of Rage", or terraforming tetris. I 'dunno. I would personally rather see them have little knock-on effect on the gameplay itself, but provide a distraction, though the idea of minigames that directly relate to your current game (in a stronger fashion) and provide little bonuses is still a great idea.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:52:22 pm by Uroboros »

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 01:48:53 am »
It's a good idea, if they're incorporated somewhat like the U-Drive-It missions in SimCity4:Rush Hour: They are all optional, you can do them when you want, they have minimal negative influence on your game if you fail them, and everything you gain by it can be gained through normal gameplay too, so you don't have to play it to advance in the game.

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 01:48:50 pm »
2-D looking down or platforming with your creature would be cool

like take all the creatures and other biotic factors on your planet and make them 8-bit and those would fit in to templates for all types of simple games. they would be really easy to add to the game after it was out
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline Mjavabean

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
    • Mjavabean's homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:51:29 pm »
The way you say it, you make it sound like it will tell you you're in a minigame at the start.

Minigames are good, as long as you don't realise they are minigames - Black and White 2's minigames were sort of tacked on.

Offline Aegis

• Phoenix Fighter
  • There is no spork.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Aeon
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:57:18 pm »
Eh, I would actually suggest against these. I don't know, it just doesn't sound that appealing to me. Then again, nothing like what you are describing has been done before, so I can't really base this on my impressions of this sort of thing that I got from System Shock 2. Maybe, if they were well integrated enough into the game, and much less like a whole other game within Spore, it would work pretty well. So yeah, I agree with Javabean. They also might work fine if, as Didero and Uroboros said, it was completely optional, with no loss and minimal gain, just for the fun of it. I guess it would work fine in that case, but I would still prefer it as a more integrated experiance.

Otherwise, I'd advise against it.
Wait, you're telling me Radiosity isn't the graphical simulation of a nuclear bomb?

The Talcea -
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5316.0

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 02:43:59 pm »
So I can't really base this on my impressions of this sort of thing that I got from System Shock 2
Thats actually sorta how I had imagined it, the system shock 2 style (or Timesplitters, if you are more familiar). Rather than being slipped in amidst the main of the game, you 'discover' minigames, that you can play when you feel like a little break from the main of the game without actually leaving the computer. Imagine in the UFO stage, there is a little button in the corner, that when you feel like a break from all your hard work doing what uber-tech races do, you click it, and the Spore equivilent of a gameboy pops up. A window that you can perhaps drag around (and shrink/expand), with little games themed after old classics, like an more true-to-source pacman game, only with different sprites. Imagine if the game procedurally generated intentionally blocky sprites for these minigames from your avatar species, and perhaps did the same for other sprites using other species? I'd actually find that pretty funny. The purpose of having it in a movable/shrinkable window, is that if you're the kind of person to experiment by seeding creatures into different planets to see how they behave around each other, rather than leaving and coming back in half an hour, you could just stay in orbit, and keep an eye on them from over the top of your game-boy-like window. Just sorta toy with the minigames, then move the window a little to see if your seeded creature has been eaten yet (or if he survived his 5th fight, etc).

Its a bit gimmicky, but I think it would be a charming little addition, and I guess that would give WW and the game developers a closer chance to pay tribute to the older games they loved, and that they perhaps used as a compass when designing the different stages. Clone enough to make it obvious what game its mimicking, but use all our own stuff so that its nowhere near a copyright infringement. One of the most saught-after technologies in the game would probably end up being little Space-boy cartridges to play these games with, and can be earned in the mission system, or found laying around, or earned for accomplishing different feats (or perhaps recieving good marks in your uploaded content?). We ask for a lot, dont we? :)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 03:44:19 pm »
I like the idea, but there would be a problem with regulating them. Someone in the middle of doing a chain of alterations to a camp/city who gets interrupted by a mandatory minigame, will probably be annoyed and forget what they were doing when they return. Keep them optional, and make sure that the player can take them when they so feel like (as not to interrupt), and thats a great idea. In my minds eye, I see them being clones of old classic games like the original mario bros, or "Scorched Earth / Scorched Tanks", or space invaders, and actually play out in a mock 2D fashion, but with all the pieces replaced with things you have made, or that the game has downloaded for you. I could even see you using your UFO as a pong-paddle to deflect an incoming meteorite away from your planet, and not too far away, another space-faring civilisation is deflecting it back, also in a panic and trying to save their people. Or in a medieval-style age, setting up a siege catapulat and trading shots : "Angle 65, Power 80, Rotation 15, fire!" "Miss!". Heh, that sounded more like battleships than 'scorched earth'. Silly little things like that, are just what this game needs, I think.

How they'd weave them in without breaking the feel of continuity in the game, I dont know, but it would be fun. Procedurally generated "Streets of Rage", or terraforming tetris. I 'dunno. I would personally rather see them have little knock-on effect on the gameplay itself, but provide a distraction, though the idea of minigames that directly relate to your current game (in a stronger fashion) and provide little bonuses is still a great idea.

They would all be optional and could be passed just like a chnace chard in the Sims 2

It's a good idea, if they're incorporated somewhat like the U-Drive-It missions in SimCity4:Rush Hour: They are all optional, you can do them when you want, they have minimal negative influence on your game if you fail them, and everything you gain by it can be gained through normal gameplay too, so you don't have to play it to advance in the game.

That's is exactly what i am thinking. Where they are not required but can be chooen or pop up from time to time to be played. But only as giving small bounus if you win them. And they would be for fun more than anything.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:49:21 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Beatnuki

• Scramble Skipper
  • Wilco Hex, reporting for duty!
    • View Profile
    • Beatnuki's Chunk of Funk (which seemed like a good idea at the time)
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 04:10:09 am »
I like this idea, especially if it is using the spaceboy peripheral. Furthermore, these games might make good trades; introduce them to your newly discovered race of awestruck aliens and their primitive barely-in-city-stage technology.

"People of Centivon Three, we, the exalted (insert creature name here) present to you the wondrous technology known as 'Gaming'!"

*cheers erupt and ripple through the amazed crowd as pods containing games shower from above. Their society then slowly crumbles as none of them ever go outside again.*

Hmm......

Might be a cunning way of immobilising a city to take over a planet from.

Maybe one of the minigames could be based around the Sporepedia card system? Win and you're rewarded by seeing one of the Sporepedia creatures you have scanned, perhaps long ago, procedurally dance to some funky disco music, or get chased around by a pack of critters that hunt it, or an animation where it invents fire but burns the screen down, or where it tries to eat a smaller creature, only for the prey to whistle and motion for its 'big brudder' to come in, which is essentially a larger version of the prey which then eats the hunting creature instead. That kind of thing, perhaps.

Minigame wise, it'd be great to have a Duck Hunt-esque game in which flying critters try to escape from your Frazzlefry Pistol. The difference here is that there are cities in the background; let enough flying critters escape and they converge and pile into their UFO to destroy one of the cities, which effectively mean your lives.

However, if you manage to shoot a critter down, it lands behind some shrubbery, at which point a rather cheerful canine-like creature gives you a goofy grin and holds up the corpse of the fallen beast. The question is, can you shoot him? Only you couldnt with the mutt out of Duck Hunt; aside from some internet games I heard tell of...... ;D
If you peruse my things, you get POINTS!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Beatnuki

Only trouble is, they're Whose Line Is It Anyway points, which are infamously not worth anything.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 07:20:05 am »
Maybe one of the minigames could be based around the Sporepedia card system?
The 'spaceboy' idea and those little cards have so much potential, dont they? Im curious to eventually find out what they have planned for them, but I can imagine playing simple card games with them in real-time with other members of the Spore community, and wagering one or two of the cards themselves on the game, as a bet.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 10:46:57 am »
I think that mini-games should be seperate from the rest of the game. Spore could have mini-games like a cell stage where you don't ever exit it, you just try and accumulate points, evolve, and survive. The longer you last, the higher your points go. Or there could be a UFO Game akin to RaidenX, where you have a top-down shooter, or a space-invaders thing where you use a cities defenses to fight off aliens, and so on.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline portmanteau

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 03:23:04 pm »
I really don't like the idea--at least for a game like Spore.  Who said that princesses exist in my galaxy?  Or that they are pretty, innocent, and helpless (in need of saving) rather than the warrior type?  The mini-games sound like they would just be so artificially introduced into a world that is supposed to be mine.  I should be the one making my own mini-games, and they should not have any labels on them (such as princess, points, or time limit) other than the ones I decide to give.  If I want to make an ally with an alien civilization, then I'll try to do it; but that shouldn't be automatically labeled by a programmer as a good thing to do or even something that's possible to do at all.
Now, it would be interesting if there was a secondary class of games entirely outside the Spore universe that would let you import your creatures for the sake of such gamer obsessions as 'missions' or 'points'.  Spore, however, is so promising because it will allow me to be the author.  I would be very disappointed if once I played it, the option to do mini-games inside of it rather than create stories on my own through open-ended gameplay would even be presented to me.  I wouldn't want my wonderful race of x-legged whatevers to find themselves subjected to the external and non-realistic designs of points or pass/fail/slide by missions.

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 06:22:48 pm »
Yes and no. I think that as you go on in the game, or when you do ceratin things, you would be able to unlock the mini games. For example, lets say that you do something super cleverlike tricking another city into giving you something, than a box would pop up saying like," Congratulations! You have unlocked X minigame!" Then, you would be able to access the minigame whenever you wanted at the menu screen and try to beat your score in it. So basically, they would be like secrets. 
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

Offline White Owl

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Birhak my creation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 07:38:49 pm »
The point of spore is to make your own story's WW said it himself. I don't want any popups on my screen saying A neighboring kingdom has just stolen your princess do you want to get her back. none of that. I want unobstructed spore gameplay. Spore is so big that the mini games are bound to happen with out some annoying pop up.

Like in the cell stage WW said  that it was like Pac man. I don't think mini games need to be in spore. You could just create your own like you know take two creatures and have them fight eachother. Or you could form hunting party in your tribe and kill a bunch of things.  So all of you that want mini games make you own use your imagination (if you have one) a game like this doesn't need to be ruined by POINTLESS mini games.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 10:22:30 pm »
The point of spore is to make your own story's WW said it himself. I don't want any popups on my screen saying A neighboring kingdom has just stolen your princess do you want to get her back. none of that. I want unobstructed spore gameplay. Spore is so big that the mini games are bound to happen with out some annoying pop up.

Like in the cell stage WW said  that it was like Pac man. I don't think mini games need to be in spore. You could just create your own like you know take two creatures and have them fight eachother. Or you could form hunting party in your tribe and kill a bunch of things.  So all of you that want mini games make you own use your imagination (if you have one) a game like this doesn't need to be ruined by POINTLESS mini games.

These POINTLESS minigames have a purpose. In your idea, you don't shape the culture of your creature. With the minigame idea, you get to customize your creature's society even more. The point is for your creature on other people's games to not be some generic, static thing.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.