Author Topic: Vehicle concerns!  (Read 6350 times)

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicle concerns!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 07:05:42 pm »
I predict the whole "abduction and pluck it next to other creatures, abduction and make a zoo planet, etc etc" will become really lame really fast. It is unbearably lame now, just seeing Will Wright doing it. The space game needs some very good and challenging resource management system, or Space-Spore will be utterly boring.

On topic, it seems that the UFO will be able to transport vehicles, maybe even enough to invade a planet? If it is the summary of your ablilities, it is the transport too. Not cool at all, but if the Will wants it that way ...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 07:07:18 pm by Tarrasque »
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 06:48:18 am »
I would assume that since the vehical editor becomes freely available in the UFO stage that vehicals will have some use at that time as well (say making a city on the planet your invading and pumping out vehicals from there)
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 04:49:07 pm »
I predict the whole "abduction and pluck it next to other creatures, abduction and make a zoo planet, etc etc" will become really lame really fast. It is unbearably lame now, just seeing Will Wright doing it. The space game needs some very good and challenging resource management system, or Space-Spore will be utterly boring.

No, no it doesn't.

One or two resources, fine, but not too much to make most of it boring resource management, making you wait half an hour unting you have enough of resources a,b,c,d,e and v that you can terraform/invade/blow up a planet
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline Chaosenigma

• Mystery House Madman
  • Happi faic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 02:54:14 am »
I would assume that since the vehical editor becomes freely available in the UFO stage that vehicals will have some use at that time as well (say making a city on the planet your invading and pumping out vehicals from there)

Hey, that's actually a nice idea!; the only problem is will the vehicles rival the power of the UFO? I wonder when we get to see what becomes of spore.
Sitting quietly waiting for spore's release....... for 2 years and counting T_T.

Offline striker121

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 05:27:36 am »
If they did....welll then I'd hate to be the planet I'm invading because one usally can do the job.

Offline Mr Man

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Monster Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 12:18:56 pm »
I imagine the ufo as being more of an eye. It would be awsome to be able to build some kind of mothership full of ur creatures ready to do battle!
Or maybe the ship could carry other vehicles inside to help take over an empty planet.

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 12:33:48 pm »
They should have three types of UF

battle (if there any in space)

recon

and giant transports

my 2 cents
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 12:44:33 pm »
Well, the UFO thing you can make can also be damaged. Eventually you might just take on too much and have it destroyed, and need to build a new one. They cant exactly be cheap either. In the videos we've seen, even advanced civilisations with laser technology and odd sort of scatter-flak cannons, they had trouble worrying the UFO. You do however have to realise this was a demo of the game, and it wouldnt look very good if it got destroyed when WW was trying to show us around the game, would it? The presentations skip from section to section, so its likely that that everything was already unlocked. A starting UFO isnt likely to survive as well as a 100% researched and upgraded UFO, maxed out with a maxed out civ behind it.
Then again, saying "maxed out" makes me shiver. There should be no "maxing out" in Spore, damnit!   xD

Offline Mjavabean

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
    • Mjavabean's homepage
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 01:03:21 pm »
I hope you will be able to make custom tools for the UFO (They probably won't make it, too difficult, but it would be a welcome surprise if they included it)

And when a UFO gets destroyed I'm assuming you go to the closest city to save up for a new UFO. (random guesswork, seems like the easiest way though)

Offline Moach

• Galaxian Guru
  • The Master of Mayhem
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 06:47:36 am »
Hey, that's actually a nice idea!; the only problem is will the vehicles rival the power of the UFO? I wonder when we get to see what becomes of spore.

that makes me think there could be a possibility of some "independance day" type action... imagine, a giant UFO is attacking and all we have are these crummy planes!!! :o :o

cool it would be :)

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 07:03:01 am »

that makes me think there could be a possibility of some "independance day" type action... imagine, a giant UFO is attacking and all we have are these crummy planes!!! :o :o

cool it would be :)
Yes it would.

The first time...  :-\

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 10:01:27 am »
Well, the UFO thing you can make can also be damaged. Eventually you might just take on too much and have it destroyed, and need to build a new one. They cant exactly be cheap either. In the videos we've seen, even advanced civilisations with laser technology and odd sort of scatter-flak cannons, they had trouble worrying the UFO. You do however have to realise this was a demo of the game, and it wouldnt look very good if it got destroyed when WW was trying to show us around the game, would it? The presentations skip from section to section, so its likely that that everything was already unlocked. A starting UFO isnt likely to survive as well as a 100% researched and upgraded UFO, maxed out with a maxed out civ behind it.
Then again, saying "maxed out" makes me shiver. There should be no "maxing out" in Spore, damnit!   xD

I agree. You can't just get the UFO and think that now you're unstoppable. It has to be upgraded a lot first or you won't stand a chance against those ultimate (okay, advanced) civilizations with their fancy defence systems and laser weapons. And upgrading the UFO will also cost you. It just won't be that easy. But hopefully not too hard, either.

I agree it would be nice if they included different kinds of UFOs. Like
Quote from: slugfly
The Commander (swiss army knife) includes all the nicest weaponry, laser, planet buster, etc.  Includes tractor beam and the ability to abduct from 5 to 10 creatures (depending on size).  Includes the ability to make First Contact

The Explorer (scout) moves very quickly and is very resilient to damage.  Has minimal weapons and is difficult to spot.  Doesn't include the ability to make First Contact

The Carrier =  multiple versions including commercial, resources and war.  Has a huge capacity for cargo (carries vehicles, 20 to 100 creatures) but moves slowly and has weaker defenses.  Includes only basic weaponry (lasers, rockets).  Includes tractor beam and the ability to abduct creatures or vehicles.  Can initiate First Contact.

It would also be great if you could design all the UFO types by yourself. (Not only the way they look.) You could put weapons on this one and terraforming tools on that one. Also make them bigger or smaller for different cargo sizes. This way you could make whatever is fit for you. And of course these things would also cost you some resources. But I wouldn't really mind if there was only the basic UFO. As long as you could have more than one.

Maybe there will be a way to "click" away from the UFO. I only say this because there has to be a way to do other things like manage your colonies and make them bigger and better (to get more money to make the ufo better) so maybe there will be a button you push and your ufo just hovers in the air and you can go off and do other things on that planet.

Yes, there definitely will. It just wouldn't be a very wise move from WW to make the players be trapped in the UFO once they've bought it. I think the space stage is more like an extension of the city stage, since you just buy the UFO. So being in the space stage wouldn't rule out the city management, and you would still be able to use all the vehicles you used in the city stage.
So you would most likely be also able to transport all the tanks and creatures to where ever you want and start a war. Or you could make a colony to an already populated planet and try defeating it with vehicles made in that colony, like darkstar said.

And to answer (or at least try to answer) Chaosenigma's question, I think it depends on the level and number of them. If you'd have for example 100 top-class vehicles and one crappy UFO, guess who'd win. ;) And I believe there could be other powerful vehicles than the UFO.

Problem solved? 8)

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 10:43:12 am »
I hope you will be able to make custom tools for the UFO (They probably won't make it, too difficult, but it would be a welcome surprise if they included it)

And when a UFO gets destroyed I'm assuming you go to the closest city to save up for a new UFO. (random guesswork, seems like the easiest way though)

what kind of tools would you make pray tell
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 12:43:12 pm »
what kind of tools would you make pray tell
A terrain raising/lowering tool that rather than just moving a single point, and having the terrain deform to make mountains/dips, it instead raises and lowers in patterns/shapes. Normal tool raises a point of land, dragging the surrounding land up with it into a mountainous formation. A custom tool might perhaps raise a thin 'beak' of land, or a column with perfectly smooth, unscalable sides. Or perhaps a tool that etches the landscape with odd patterns and formations (like those spiral-carved mountains from the video presentations) instead of just smooth-carved mounds. Some custom tools that dont actually terraform but instead let you 'draw' onto the planets surface, to leave graffiti/crop circles with. Or just modified versions of older tools, that just effect a larger/smaller area, or just have different colors, cooler effects or more suiting sounds (like a squelchy stomach-churning sound for a bio-tech race).