WOW
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:23:41 pm »
Anyone?

Offline Pestlett

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Re: WOW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 12:42:38 pm »
 I'm thinking about buying it. I've been in Thailand for the last 5 months and missed a lot of games, only just completed Half Life 2 the other week! I'ld like to know what people think of this game as well, since I've been tempted to buy it but I'm a stingy person and the thought of spending ~£40 and then being disapointed is scary.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 01:56:59 pm »
I will be reviewing WOW in an upcoming podcast, but it is quite good. There are some issues I have with it, but that is mostly at the endgame (after you play for around 150+ hours). But, it's an awesome game and you will enjoy it I'm sure.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 02:23:51 pm »
I'm sure Steve has deeper impressions of it since he's played a lot longer than I have -- I'm just now clearing the mid-teens with my orc hunter -- but I have to say as a veteran of many MMOs, this one is by far the most user-friendly in terms of sanding the rough edges off the learning curve. It's also very solo friendly, at least at the early levels, and the quests seem to be numerous and entertaining enough so that you're rarely just grinding XP. I kinda wish there were more races/classes, but that's just the altaholic in me.... I'd rather have eight well-designed classes than 20 that are just cut and pastes with different spell effects (cough EQ2 cough).

The graphics are the big stickler for a lot of people, and honestly, what kept me away from the game initially. Either you like the WoW style or you think it looks childish and cartoony. But it definitely grows on you.

I'll put it this way... I really thought EQ2 was going to be the next MMO I moved to, but I pretty much bailed after my free month and went to WoW and haven't regretted it for a minute. I still keep CoH active because it's SO different (and to stay in the queue for CoV beta) but other than that, I'm loving WoW.

I will say this though... maybe you'll care, maybe you won't, but on aggregate, this game does have one of the most immature chat channels of any MMO I've ever played. Lotta really obnoxious and sometimes hateful stuff going on, and the admins don't immediately seem to be doing much about it. I'm not easily offended, nor am I adverse to using the /ignore, but I'll put it out there...

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 02:17:41 pm »
I've been playing WoW on and off since release and it's a pretty good game. I've played my fair share of MMOs (starting with Everquest, then DAoC, FFXI, Planetside, beta'd The Sims Online. I also played EQ2... for about an hour  ::)) and this really is one of the most polished. I haven't played it as much as Steve either (only lvl 25 on my main) but I'm having a great time. As far as content goes, apparently when people max out at lvl 60 there isn't as much content. Of course, in my experience, the people who seem to complain about the lack of content the most are the same players who liked to zip through the quests and ignore the game's history while they were leveling. Again, Steve's probably the guy to ask as far as high-level stuff is concerned (though i'd guess Blizzard just wanted to cater to those who would rather enjoy their world than kill baddies all day). Personally, as one who always liked the Warcraft mythology, but not a die-hard fan of RTS games (games like Battlezone 2 and Natural Selection are far more interesting, imo) this game is a good match.

One thing I do like about the game (and this is total personal bias) is the graphic style. It's got more of a story-book feel than most other MMO games, and I like the idea that my character and his surroundings resemble something that I'd see in a fantasy painting as opposed to a still frame from a fantasy film like LoTR. I tends to pull me in, and keeps me playing longer. If you like the screenies and videos on the 'net, then they're even more impressive and moody in-game

So, yea. I don't really know what else to say. Pick it up if you're a MMO newbie or long-time player, or see if any friends got the collector's edition. You can play for 7 days on their extra account key that way.

And I'm spent. ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 02:30:41 pm by Zealousy »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 08:05:23 pm »
wow,  just played this game, im thinking of deleating my ffxi account to play this game, im a year and a half into ffxi, about 500-600 hours just about beat it, but there really isnt a end

Offline Sully

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 09:03:45 pm »
 Level 56 Hunter here. This being my second MMORPG, first being SWG. I love the fact I do not need 1 hour of prep time before hunting. I hated buying buffs. In Wow I can log in, pick up a quest and be done with it in 10-30 minutes. The artwork and level design is gorgeous. Have not ventured very far into any of the uber high level instances, have been mostly rolling solo. The server performance is another thing. I am on a high population server and frankly it sucks. Every weekend as of late we have been crashing. Hope it gets fixed asap. Oh and the murloc noise is creepy. Rglllghhrlllllrlllllllllllrrrrrrrllgghhl !

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005, 09:11:25 pm »
Yea that is the one issue with WoW. I dunno, some servers run perfectly, and some are, apparently, a mess day & night. My server's among the top 10 most populated and don't have any problems, but I've heard of a lot of servers, many less populated than mine, that are having issues. For anyone that gets the game, I suggest going to www.wowcensus.com to get a readout of how populated a server is by an exact number of how many people play on it. It's also got some nice guild and horde vs. alliance stats.

[I hope mentioning sites like this doesn't break the code of conduct bullet point which labels "Advertising of products or services" as inappropriate behavior. I sure hope not, but I guess I'll find out if I get banned from this forum :P]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 09:13:47 pm by Zealousy »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005, 11:57:16 pm »
Heh, I am putting my final touches on my WOW review. I have been playing WOW since pre-alpha stage, so I know the game insanely well. It is quite good, but I promise you a review unlike any you have heard on WOW to date ... it isn’t all hugs and kisses. :-*
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 04:42:53 am »
So that's where you've been all this time!
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 05:40:18 am »
I expected WoW to be "That Game" - the one that lasted me a long long time. 

Well, it IS a good game... however - it offers nothing new at all.  It is just questing(all very similar), grinding(boring), instances(they aren't all that) and pvping(which is perhaps the most pathetic PvP system ever, even on pvp servers) in different landscapes - wooow.  Battlegrounds cannot save that game.  I got my character pretty high, about level 40ish, and saw no change to the system of quest, grind, pvp, instance in different areas.  It doesn't feel like you are exploring, it doesn't feel like you are finding cool things and are in charge of your "destiny", as such - you are literally driven to areas because of quests... and quests are awful.

The game is boring, it offers nothing new.  I cancelled and gave away my account after 3 weeks.  I couldn't care less for pretty artwork and battlegrounds - the rest of it is just... predictable.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 05:32:18 pm »
i played it and i really liked it, but i only played for like 2 hours :'(, wich would you guys say is better W0W or FFXI ? , every1 i know is playing WoW and im the only1 playing FFXI, but its just so fun, ive been playing it for soo long, i know more about it then like every1 that plays it, ive been playing since it came out (a year and a half ago), so yea , how is WoW? worth buying ?

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2005, 05:41:38 pm »
1 last thing, is the collecters edition or whatever its called really worth 30 bucks more?, i heard all it does is give you a mini diablo minion, or a zergling minion, or a panda cub minion that cant attack, seems cool, but kinda pointless, is there anything else included?, or is that it ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 05:49:15 pm by Gaming Steve »

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2005, 06:21:36 pm »
Steve's review of WoW was really good. I would like to get it, but I think I'll wait until Battlegrounds comes out to get it. PvP would help the game to not just stop at lvl 60.
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 03:46:38 am »
The game stops at level 30, when you realise that there is nothing else to do but quest, grind and pvp in different areas.  You can't play Battlegrounds non-stop - that kind of defeats the purpose.  The game is good... but was a huge disappointment for me.

EDIT - Actually i am a little harsh on this.  I loved this game, i waited years for it... it's easy to get into and feels very "done".  HOWEVER, it disappointed me, for the reasons stated.  I loved my class but it was gimped, and after spending 4 days or so playing time on it i didn't feel like re-rolling.  Hence i quit due to the flaws etc.  It is good, but yeah... not for me.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 04:53:14 am by Lord Janos »