Author Topic: Episode 55: Blu-ray speeds  (Read 7360 times)

Offline psychodrive

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Episode 55: Blu-ray speeds
« on: June 06, 2006, 09:19:51 pm »
Hey Steve / Listeners,

Just listening to the podcast now and Steve was talking about Blu-ray drives in the new Alienware boxes. You mentioned that the burn/read speed of 2x will be slow to burn 50GB, and this is no doubt true, so I decided to find out just how slow it would be for you.

According to this Blu-Ray FAQ ( http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/ ) , 2x speed is 72Mbps (Megabits per second). So, according to my trusty Google calculator, burning an entire 50GB disc will take approximately 94 minutes!

Not very convenient at all. For those who actually intend to get one of these, perhaps you should wait till they have 4, 8 or 12x burn speeds.

Calculations (for those interested):

((50 * 1024 * 8) / 72) / 60

(([GB] * [MB in one GB] * [bits in a Byte]) / [Mb per second] ) / [seconds in a minute]

Yes, I play games. Really.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 55: Blu-ray speeds
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:17:46 pm »
An hour and a half to fill 50 gigs, that's fast if you ask me.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline psychodrive

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 04:40:12 pm »
An hour and a half to fill 50 gigs, that's fast if you ask me.

Yeah, until you realise you're paying 43 US$ for that 50GB that you can only burn once, if you can afford a dual layer BD-R writer.

Sure, if you're just putting data on there as a backup you can probably go and do something else, but what if you're writing movies (legally, illegally, whatever). Are you really going to bother using the BD-R for your four hours of 1080p HD movie?

Why bother when you can burn the entire four hours at a lower (but more than adequate, no doubt) resolution onto a dual layer DVD-R in approximately 15 minutes. If I can spend less time waiting around in order to enjoy the movie on my projector, I'm going to.

What do you think?
Yes, I play games. Really.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:47:18 am »
Also from what I have been reading about the Blu-ray is that is slow, and I mean really really slow. There are reviews for the first edition Blu-ray players and they take around 40 seconds to read the disc before they can start playing ... that is not good. Hopefully they manage to get this worked out by the time the PS3 comes out because I do not think people are going to wait 30-40 secodns for a game to load on their PS3. Waiting that long on the PSP was bad enough, but no way are people going to stand for that on the PS3.

It's going to be a crazy launch...
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 04:34:16 pm »
40 sec to just start reading the disk!!!! That's like forever, people will think that there PS3s/bluray players are broken.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 04:03:45 pm »
I'd just make popcorn in that time.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline jedi55555

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 06:30:52 am »
There was another interesting thing I gound out about Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.  This really only applies to movies not games.  So far all of the HD-DVDs have been encoded in VC-1 and the Blu Rays have been in MPEG 2. 

What is strange about this is that to get the same quality compression in MPEG 2 as in VC-1 you need to use more space on the disc.  Seems like if Blu Ray really wants to beef up and show how much more they can put on a disc than HD DVD then they would also use a better codec like VC-1 so they can have more room for extras and such.

Offline UNSCleric

• Breakout Battler
  • Finish The Fight - 2007
    • View Profile
    • UNSCleric.com - Xbox 360 News Supplement
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 01:42:22 pm »
Also from what I have been reading about the Blu-ray is that is slow, and I mean really really slow. There are reviews for the first edition Blu-ray players and they take around 40 seconds to read the disc before they can start playing ... that is not good. Hopefully they manage to get this worked out by the time the PS3 comes out because I do not think people are going to wait 30-40 secodns for a game to load on their PS3. Waiting that long on the PSP was bad enough, but no way are people going to stand for that on the PS3.

It's going to be a crazy launch...

I know, I can't wait for the chaos.  Not only is the supply and demand going to be 2-3 times worse than the Xbox 360, but the problems people are going to have is going to provide months of reading material.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 01:14:24 am »
Blu-ray apparantly also has lesser video and sound quality when compared to HD-DVD.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/trainingday.html

I've said before, I don't really support either formats, but at this point HD-DVD is sounding much better, especially considering that they have a standard DVD version of the movie on their discs as well.  At least that way if HD-DVD does fail, you can still use the discs on a normal DVD player.

And does blu-ray actually have any advantages for games, or is it only for movies?

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 11:37:01 am »
Another fault Blu-ray has is its compression. Blu-ray uses MPEG-2 for its compression, which is fairly outdated. If anyone heard Major Nelson's interview with the HD-DVD guys, they said that, when you factor compression in, that the 15GB HD-DVD can hold more than a 25GB Blu-ray disk, and the HD-DVD disk will play it at a higher quality than the Blu-ray.