Poll

Do you think it's bad to download a game you already own?

Yes.
4 (10%)
No.
36 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Piracy and Copy Protection  (Read 15482 times)

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Piracy and Copy Protection
« on: June 05, 2006, 05:57:09 am »
Inspired by the Pirate bay debate i wanted to make a poll to see how many of you have ever violated copyright laws knowingly. This is just a anomie's poll and you do not have to say anything if you do not like. I try to make the poll as unbiased as possible. You are also allowed to change your vote. Do not miss use this. The only thing i ask is that you answer honestly.

And no ninjas vs pirate debate please.  :P

Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline psychodrive

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a Pirate? (Copyright Poll)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:02:51 am »
Violating copyright law in Australia is as easy as recording a tv program to watch later.

it's changing soon, but it's going to be even more of a joke.
Yes, I play games. Really.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 06:40:11 am »
Microsoft charged me soemthing stupid like £80 for an OEM version of XP about 2 years ago. More PC games should be made available for download; I don't like having to go to the shop to buy them. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 07:23:24 am »
I live in Sweden so I'm not voting.  :P

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:50:23 am »
I recently tried, but got scared and stopped before I actually downloaded the file. I may do it again, but it's doubtful.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 12:20:48 pm »
I just download fan subs of anime. It tecnaly (SP) ageist the law, but they're just going after people who download American movies and music

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 07:42:08 pm »
The problem with piracy laws is that they's so unrealistically strict that they seem impossible to follow. I think that profiting from pirated goods should be illegal of course but if I want to put together a mix cd for my girlfriend or something I should be able to do so without worrying about breaking all sorts of laws.
Swapping songs around is also a good way for bands to be heard - word of mouth but with the music there to back it up.

I hope that the industries manage to stamp out profiteering from illegally copied material but I also hope that I can still put together a CD to play in the car in the future.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 07:44:22 pm »
I've downloaded a few, really old games, but nothing much new or still in stores.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline ibvibkib

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • You wish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 07:59:29 pm »
The only thing I've ever pirated is a version of Flash because I think it's amazing someone would have to pay all that money for it.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 09:13:29 pm »
The only thing I've ever pirated is a version of Flash because I think it's amazing someone would have to pay all that money for it.

Oh, I also stole the CD code for Fireworks. It's there fault for letting me download the full version, and then letting me put in a code to unlock it

(J/K, it's still stealing, and I'll take responsibility for it)

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 09:44:06 pm »
I do it usually for old games, TV shows/ music which I can't find (IE: TV shows that are released on DVD's in regions other then my own, or in another case music which I was able to find in one store and only shipped to Thailand)

I tried once for Stargate Atlantis, ironically even though the show is filmed in Canada, Canada is one of the last places that gets the new episodes. MGM freaked out and tried to get my address. My ISP told them no, and then sent me an email saying that I'm such a good person I would never steal and that someone else must be using my internet to download illegally. They also said I should put a password on my computer to help stop this from happening in the future (I heart my ISP),

The only other time is if I find a new artist and I like one of their songs. If there are no previews of any of their other music on say Amazon then I'll download it to see if I like their work enough to buy a CD. But it's so common to have samples of most or all the songs I hardly have to do that anymore.
My karma ran over your dogma

werechicken

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 03:29:37 am »
Ar! Shiver me timbers.... sorry had to be done
Anyway I have with the oblivion mods, sorry but, I'm not paying for content that is that crappy.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 03:31:12 am »
Ar! Shiver me timbers.... sorry had to be done
Anyway I have with the oblivion mods, sorry but, I'm not paying for content that is that crappy.

I always wondered about this. A lot of people who download stuff say, "Oh, it was crap, I wouldn't buy it anyway." But why did you download it if it was crap?

werechicken

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 03:38:17 am »
I dled the wizards tower to see if they where good, and if they where I would pay for it, because that increases their sales and encourages them to develop more of the same quality, I do this with games, but use the demos as a base mark.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 03:44:21 am »
I do it usually for old games, TV shows/ music which I can't find (IE: TV shows that are released on DVD's in regions other then my own, or in another case music which I was able to find in one store and only shipped to Thailand)

I tried once for Stargate Atlantis, ironically even though the show is filmed in Canada, Canada is one of the last places that gets the new episodes. MGM freaked out and tried to get my address. My ISP told them no, and then sent me an email saying that I'm such a good person I would never steal and that someone else must be using my internet to download illegally. They also said I should put a password on my computer to help stop this from happening in the future (I heart my ISP),

The only other time is if I find a new artist and I like one of their songs. If there are no previews of any of their other music on say Amazon then I'll download it to see if I like their work enough to buy a CD. But it's so common to have samples of most or all the songs I hardly have to do that anymore.
Amazon previews only last 30 seconds a song anyway. The intro alone could last that long on some tracks.

Seriously! Does anyone actually buy it legally? Same with Photoshop.