Author Topic: Best of N64  (Read 10193 times)

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
Best of N64
« on: June 04, 2006, 04:15:13 am »
I've never played the N64 but recently i found a emulator and N64 roms and I've been trying them out. So far I've given a go to Duke Nukem Zero Hour, Goldeneye 007, Legend of Zelda The - Majora's Mask, Legend of Zelda The - Ocarina of Time, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Wipeout 64.

What other games would you recommend?

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
Re: Best of N64
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 05:20:52 am »
ILLEGAL!

Now thats off my chest:

super smash brothers

mario kart 64 (frikkin awesome)

super mario 64

yoshi's story (you'll need some time to play it though)

Lylat wars

piolet wings

Stay away from mario party 2 and 3, though...

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:17:56 am »
I'm really liking Mario 64 such a good game.

I wouldn't say that this is strictly illegal... it's not like N64 games are mainstream any more.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 06:59:21 am »
I wouldn't say that this is strictly illegal...

Yes it is. But no one cares anymore, so you should be fine.

I would recommend:
Snowboard Kids (The original. The sequel sucked.)
Mario Tennis if you can find it
Space Station Silicon Valley
NBA Hangtime is good for 2 people
Mario Party is good if you have some friends over.

You would have a hard time going wrong with any mario game you find.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 07:08:10 am »
Are you kidding? Mario Party two is probably the best in the series.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 07:17:31 am »
The BEST minigame ever is in Mario Party 2.

There are 6 hexagons all together, suspended above water. Toad is on a seventh that you can't get to. The hexagons are all different colors, and toad holds up a flag. The flag is the color of one of the hexagons. That hexagon is the only one that stays up, the rest slowly drop over 3 seconds. If you fall in the water, you're out of the game.

It's fun because there's so much strategy in it. You can stand on the edge of the stabe hexagon and block out the other people trying to get up. You can jump on someone's head and they'll be paralyzed for 2 seconds. You can get under someone's jump to have them jump on your head and deflect them back into the water.

Such a great minigame. I'll never know why they took it out of the new versions.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 07:54:07 am »
I tried all of the ones mentioned, Mario Tennis and Super Mario 64 were the best. I didn't have the patience to try any of the other ones for much longer than a couple of minutes since the graphics and stuff were so bad. I played Mario 64 the longest, maybe 2 hours and i had enough. I've heard that Mario Galaxy is supposed to be the new version of Mario 64 therefore I'm really looking forward to that now.

I hate to say this but it's really hard to enjoy these games when they are visually so bad.

Offline Hiro Protagonist

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 08:18:07 am »
I'm really liking Mario 64 such a good game.

I wouldn't say that this is strictly illegal... it's not like N64 games are mainstream any more.

To be fair, these games aren't exactly abandonware. Nintendo is planning to sell them via their virtual console service on the Wii.

Offline Kyyp

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Multipass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 09:53:14 am »
I hate to say this but it's really hard to enjoy these games when they are visually so bad.

Well what do ya expect, they're really old.
The N64 came before the Gamecube, which is about to be replaced by the Wii.
The system is almost 2 generations old, it isn't going to have up-to-date graphics.

Also, just because they aren't mainstream doesn't mean it isn't illegal.
The chances of anyone doing anything about it are incredibly low, but it is still against the law.
If you steal something nobody cares about, it is still stealing.

Oh and another thing, you didn't play Lylat Wars (aka Star Fox) and the Zelda games for more than a few minutes?
You sir, are insane, and have bad taste in video games.

I will never understand people that judge a game based on it's graphics.
Gameplay > Graphics
N64 had some of the greatest games of all time and you won't play them because they aren't pretty enough?
Hell, some people still consider Ocarina of Time to be the best video game ever created, despite being so old.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 11:15:14 am »
Starcraft is a great game on the 64 if you can find it. its fun to play if you haven't played the computer version that much
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Faxanadu ELC

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That rug really tied the room together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 11:35:00 am »
Great N64 games no one else has mentioned:

Jet Force Gemini
Ogre Battle 64
Beetle Adventure Racing

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 11:44:04 am »
Oh and another thing, you didn't play Lylat Wars (aka Star Fox) and the Zelda games for more than a few minutes?
You sir, are insane, and have bad taste in video games.

I will never understand people that judge a game based on it's graphics.
Gameplay > Graphics
N64 had some of the greatest games of all time and you won't play them because they aren't pretty enough?
Hell, some people still consider Ocarina of Time to be the best video game ever created, despite being so old.

I definitely don't have a bad taste in video games some of my favorites are Starcraft, AoE 1&2, Broken Sword series, Civ series, Homm series, Fallout series and the list goes on.

Think about it, all of the games i have played in terms of looks are much better, Civ2:CTP one of my absolute favorites didn't look as good as some of the others on the list but that suited the series cos 3D is not important in those games. If you compare early 3D games to 3D stuff today the old things just look really bad and that puts people off already.

The reason why i wanted to try out some old N64 games was because of the posts on this forum referring to them. Those people who played them back in the day were playing high end games and they enjoyed them immensely like I enjoy the games that are out today and will enjoy them in 20 years cos there is always that nostalgic connection.

Yes, i agree that playing those games on a PC is illegal but so is almost every singel abandonware game, anyway this is not the reason why this thread was made.

Edit: I have never played any Mario games before till today and those old side scrolling ones actually are more appealing than Mario64 because 2D side scrolling can't get better than that but 3D can.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 11:47:49 am by dmngd »

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 12:16:24 pm »
Woah, how could I forget snowboarding kids!?!

Actually, yeah, MP2 wasn't so bad, but IMO they get worse every generation. 1 is good, 2 is OK (the main game was a bit tierd but the mini games were good), 3 I didn't like.

You HAVE to try mario kart 64, the game is awesome and it was done using sprites, so the graphics stand up pretty well to most modern PC games - at least one of the best looking of the 64's games.

Pilot wings is great for a quick pass time, it starts to get a bit annoying on the later levels but once your used to it it's great.

and, yes, lylat wars was awesome! One of my fave games on the whole console.

As for platformers, if you like them I suggest going and buying the new mario DS game as soon as you can - many people are calling it the first true super mario successor in ages. It's very like mario galaxy: There was a great game (or two) before in the same style, then another came out that was good but didn't click, now in the new generation their making an awesome new version that will basicly replace the one that didn't vibe...

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »
I was personally a little disappointed with the Gameboy and GBA that's why i really haven't looked at handhelds much but i'm really interested in Brain Age therefore i might go out and get it and the DS and some other games when Brain Age comes out in Europe. I must say that new Mario looked like a lot of fun.

I played a bit of Mario Kart before on a Gamecube in a friends place, isn't it the same thing? Snowboard kids was also ok ;).

I always though that Nintendo games a little stupid especially Mario but after trying them i'm psyched to try out Wii some time.

Part of the reason i'm looking for new games is the reason that PC games have gotten really boring for me since up till now most games have been repetitions of the same old things. I've always looked at PS2 games and hoped that FFX, Tekken, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and god knows what else i've missed would come out on PC.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 01:04:35 pm »
The GC version is very different to the 64 version, and both versions in turn are very different to the snes one.

double-dash is OK but I will never stop loving mk64. It's awesome.

When you play it, try and play every track at least once - even rainbow road isn't so bad after your eyes stop bleeding :D
Moo-Moo farm, wario stadium and that beach one are all frikkin awesome. Most of the tracks are better than the DD ones.