Author Topic: Population levels  (Read 6624 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Population levels
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:43:16 am »
Has there been any word on this,I can rember some one saying something like a 150 but thats a bit small,especialy with enough of your creatures to be walking out side and being in buildings.

We all b one big intergalactic family and  if you don't comply...NUKES....

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Population levels
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:11:34 am »
Has there been any word on this,I can rember some one saying something like a 150 but thats a bit small,especialy with enough of your creatures to be walking out side and being in buildings.

Its probably based on food and city size more than a fixed limit.  I agree 150 seems way too small per city.q
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 11:10:15 am »
the population will probably be able to grow quite large, if i hade to guess i would say 1000 per city, but i have no idea how big a city can get
Never mind your own business.

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 01:18:06 pm »
it seems citys can become indefeniteley big after you conquer the world. what is stopping us if like one country ruled all(please no comment on that) to have everything in a city other then we need farms.

Offline Zuul

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Touch fuzzy, get clubbed to death.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 01:42:33 pm »
it seems citys can become indefeniteley big after you conquer the world. what is stopping us if like one country ruled all(please no comment on that) to have everything in a city other then we need farms.
While hoping for a completely urbanized city-planet (think Croucsant(sp?)) might be asking for too much, just think how cool that would look if it did get implemented.
Next 5 exits: The Edge of the Universe. Last stop for gas.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:01:08 pm »
wouldn't a completly urbanised planet just run out of oxygen because there are no plants? its like being locked in an airtight room, you'll suffocate wouldn't you?
Never mind your own business.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 02:34:51 pm »
wouldn't a completly urbanised planet just run out of oxygen because there are no plants? its like being locked in an airtight room, you'll suffocate wouldn't you?

You can use CO2 scrubbers to remove the dioxide in the air and presumably you would have Oxygen bioplants.  Many variants are currently in development in fact.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 02:39:01 pm »
Heh, I knew you meant carbon dioxide when you typed dioxide, but dioxide is actually breathable oxygen, so no luck in shortcutting it there  :-\ But removing CO2 is tricky business, I've read. And oxygen plants made from well... plants would churn out CO2 also because of decomposing matter. That's one of the problems of biosphere 2.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 02:43:50 pm »
Heh, I knew you meant carbon dioxide when you typed dioxide, but dioxide is actually breathable oxygen, so no luck in shortcutting it there  :-\ But removing CO2 is tricky business, I've read. And oxygen plants made from well... plants would churn out CO2 also because of decomposing matter. That's one of the problems of biosphere 2.

There is actually a small group of developers who are using a bacterial system.  It works by absorbing the CO2 in the air and producing O2 from it as per normal photosynthesis, then the CO2 is trapped in the bacteria as it dies.  The biomass is then trapped and locked up to prevent much CO2 release.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 03:00:48 pm »
Why would the CO2 get trapped? O2 is made from water in the light reactions, while CO2 is changed into glucose with pyruvic (sp?) acid and PCAL (again) in the Krebs or Calvin cycle in the dark reactions (been a while since photosynthesis in biology). And so, this lovingly nullifies to points in their creation, one, O2 is not made form C02, and C02 is made into glucose for energy.

Then the glucose combines with O2 in aerobic respiration (plants need oxy too) and is turned into CO2. So this means that the bacteria would have to use anaerobic respiration. It would make ATP (cellular energy source) from fermentation, producing alcohol or lactic acid. But where would the glucose go?

This leads me to believe that the bacteria uses a different biochemical pathway than photosynthesis, or it is not true.

But you can always use electricity and water to create O2 and H2, I think its called electrolysis.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 03:20:33 pm »
Why would the CO2 get trapped? O2 is made from water in the light reactions, while CO2 is changed into glucose with pyruvic (sp?) acid and PCAL (again) in the Krebs or Calvin cycle in the dark reactions (been a while since photosynthesis in biology). And so, this lovingly nullifies to points in their creation, one, O2 is not made form C02, and C02 is made into glucose for energy.

Then the glucose combines with O2 in aerobic respiration (plants need oxy too) and is turned into CO2. So this means that the bacteria would have to use anaerobic respiration. It would make ATP (cellular energy source) from fermentation, producing alcohol or lactic acid. But where would the glucose go?

This leads me to believe that the bacteria uses a different biochemical pathway than photosynthesis, or it is not true.

But you can always use electricity and water to create O2 and H2, I think its called electrolysis.

Most plants only output 50% of the CO2 they input.  The rest of the carbon is converted in the cell into enzymes, cellular autonima, etc.

Offline nogard

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 04:32:45 pm »
This topic really bothers me. :(
I just had to register to put you all strait.(Some is true but general idea is tweaked)
Plants and Bacteria that photosynthesize HAVE to follow the anaerobic or aerobic pathways
extraterrestrial life might be total different but on earth it is the only choice

Now.
The end result of photosyntheses is:
glucose
oxygen
it uses
sunlight(energy)
water
carbon dioxide
ALL of the CO2 is turned into oxygen and glucose
no leftovers.
It also doesn't need oxygen

What plants and bacteria do to make the CO2 is cellular respiration
they also need it.
However, like someone said, they contain 50% of what they bring in.
Plants and bacteria can go though one cycle of Photosynthesis/Cellular respiration
IN A FRACTION OF A SECOND!!!!!!!
having humongous vats of photosynthesizing bacteria would solve our O2 needs
you could have a city like corsacant if somewhere there were giant vats.

I'll step off my soapbox now. Thank you.

I got no characters left

Offline Spore_Previewer

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 04:41:54 pm »
If you have noticed by the weird creatures, this game is not trying to be realistic, so it does not matter their explanation of how you would breathe.  If they say they can take a bioplant and turn CO2 into O2, then so be it.  No flaming me, I was just saying it's just a game.

Offline nogard

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 04:44:51 pm »
i agree
it doesn't matter if it can't work
it is just a game
real life is too constirting.
 :'(

I got no characters left

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 04:52:18 pm »
This topic really bothers me. :(
I just had to register to put you all strait.(Some is true but general idea is tweaked)
Plants and Bacteria that photosynthesize HAVE to follow the anaerobic or aerobic pathways
extraterrestrial life might be total different but on earth it is the only choice

Now.
The end result of photosyntheses is:
glucose
oxygen
it uses
sunlight(energy)
water
carbon dioxide
ALL of the CO2 is turned into oxygen and glucose
no leftovers.
It also doesn't need oxygen

I agree with you here, but I never said photosynthesis uses oxygen. I said plants use aerobic respiration, and for that they need oxygen.

What plants and bacteria do to make the CO2 is cellular respiration
they also need it.
However, like someone said, they contain 50% of what they bring in.
Plants and bacteria can go though one cycle of Photosynthesis/Cellular respiration
IN A FRACTION OF A SECOND!!!!!!!
having humongous vats of photosynthesizing bacteria would solve our O2 needs
you could have a city like corsacant if somewhere there were giant vats.

I'll step off my soapbox now. Thank you.

Fraction of a second yes, one molecule at a time, yes, many times at once, also yes. I just personally think that using chemical processes that are more efficient would solve our problems easier.

And welcome to the fora. :)