Author Topic: Article which made me think of Spore  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
Article which made me think of Spore
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:04:18 pm »
http://www.mkaku.org/articles/physics_of_alien_civs.shtml

Check it out, I for one thought it was very interesting.

Offline Jameso

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Article which made me think of Spore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:34:06 am »
Sweet, thats pretty cool. Good find!

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:08:49 am »
Too bad SIM is getting delayed because of "redirected" funds...  >:(
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline ollj

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • "procedurally generated"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 04:09:58 am »
That article makes as much sense as the South park episode "canceled" where "EARTH" is nothing but a "The Truman Show" TV show.

The real deal is that the milky way galaxy can only have up to 5-12 different civilisations at the moment that we did NOT met yet, assuming that a civilisation spreds through the milky way in any way and can not afford to ignore earth (because no sun lives forever and the sol system has valuable resources) or at least leave tracks or send any radio signals.

Galaxies diameter is 100.000 light years. Humans emerged out of africa 100.000 years before, if they send a radio signal the whole milky way would have noticed now (if civilisations could recieve radio by the time the signal passes them).
Problem is we didnt notice any radio signals from other civilisations, anyone could.

we send radio signals with light speed around us for 50-90 years (and encode them more and more ever since so noone might be able to guess the codec).
On a 1000x1000 pixel big milky way image that radio signals expanded over 1-2 pixels by now, +1 pixel in 100 years.
A realistic maximum travel speed for organic matter is 10% of light speed, trying to travel faster is just immensely energy inefficient because your ships mass and needed energy grow exponentioal to travel speed AND you come into problems like cosmic background radiation being blue-shifted into X-ray and gamma ratiation.
A civilisation "from far the other side of the milky way" must have started to expand trhough space (to us) (with 1/10 of light speed) up to (less if its less far away) 1.000.000 to 2.000.000 years ago (taking breaks on planets to reproduce and spread more), thats as long as Homo erectus exists and approximately knew how to controll (keep burning, not to make) fire.

So what. If dinosaurs would not have been extinct raptors could have colonised the whole milky way galaxy long time ago and up to 60 times back and forth. Could even have spread trough the local group of galaxies and have reached the slightly larger Andromeda galaxy.
If ANY very old (ancient) "dinosaur civilisation" from another planet would have past us upt to 60 times we should see any kind of tracks of that, they're not there.
sad news is that such an old civilisation does not exist (in nearby range)
So we are either pretty much (left) alone or there are just very few "younger" civilisations that did not meet yet because of the distance in between them.

The other extreme is that our close (non dual system stars) are similar to ours and propably have many civilisations on them just as advanced as us. I pretty much believe they all either blacklisted us after rechieving our first radio signals from World War 2 or they already started an "intergalactic UN" on the way for the goods shake of the nearby solar systems.
What to do IF we get extraterestical radio about ongoing world war and atomic bombs (like the one we send) ~20 light years away? Chances are you do not send a specific signal imidiadetly and rather wait for signals about a more stable state. (why waste a lot of energy to send a signal if the target civilisation may have destroyed itself enough to be unable to recieve it.)
I wont be surprised if there is a similar civilisation in ~20 light years distance that ist just ignoring us because of what we send 40 years ago.

An unencoded extraterestrical radio signal from further away (>100 light years) may have past us long time ago, before we had the technology to read it) and the signals of that civilisation are now just too much encoded for us to encode, so we just see random rush everywhere. And that civilisation just did not notice earth now because its too far away.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 05:06:56 am by ollj »

Offline Svanire

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:11:11 am »
If you were a developing civilization with maybe being  3-5 hundred years older than earth would you really want to reach out to a planet such as earth?