Author Topic: Bunkers  (Read 6509 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Bunkers
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:37:22 am »
Wouldent it be cool if your people could hide in bunkers if the city was getting attacked,In the Games Hurasic Park Operation Genisis if the dinos broke out our a typhoon was comming there were emergency bunkers you could buy,Id love if that were in it,But you would want to place them accordingly so an area which genraly had alot of people there you place a bunker there.

We all b one big intergalactic family and  if you don't comply...NUKES....

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bunkers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 02:32:18 pm »
nah, it would make the game to tactical which distracts casual gamers,

It might be neat to see even if you didn't need to worry about placement, ff it was more of an automatic thing of course.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 06:39:46 pm »
The cities seem pretty uniform in population density (within the city), and, once they were done panicking, the aliens in the E3 video seemed to run for cover in buildings.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:41:26 pm »
I think it would be great!

Tactics and strategies would be fantastic to introduce and play out if desired.  If you don't then you could just set a slider to 'auto-tactics' and the tribes people/city people/planetary citizens could just fend for themselves.

I would love to see (perhaps as an expansion) the civ game and space game expanded to the complexity of starcraft/warcraft.

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 12:55:50 am »
From my perspective, casual gamers should be skinned alive and drug through the streets on meathooks.
Us gaming fanatics require razor-fine control over all aspects of my host civilization. The depth of gameplay should create a soul-consuming abyss from which there is no excape.

Offline Amayirot Akago

• Phoenix Fighter
  • RAARGH!! Gorulk SMASH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 01:03:56 am »
From my perspective, casual gamers should be skinned alive and drug through the streets on meathooks.
Us gaming fanatics require razor-fine control over all aspects of my host civilization. The depth of gameplay should create a soul-consuming abyss from which there is no excape.
But remember, it were casual gamers that were (and still are) attracted to the simplicity and ease of use of The Sims.

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 01:10:43 am »
The Sims was pap intended to be shoveled into the maws of the computer version of rednecks. Dollhouses taken to a new level.
Some more experienced gamers may have found enjoyment in it beyond a momentary fancy, but not I.

Spore is supposed to be something else entirely; a work of art.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 01:13:06 am by Hectonkhyres »

Offline Blindsite

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 08:58:39 am »
I agree with both.  There should be manual control for those stratagy types and auto for those that just want to have fun.  However if we are to make a work of art I really think it needs to be muliplayer in order to shine.  I don't care how smart the ai is a human being will always outsmart it and then the player will get bored.  Add multiplayer and detailed control and you will be adding a whole new element to the game.  It will go beyond the sandbox, beyond civilization, beyond exploration it will become an rts the world has never seen before!  Add the FPS element and you'll have flight control, mortal combat, pretty much with a wee bit of effort Spore could crosss all genras of gaming.  There would be something in it for everyone and therefore everyone would buy it.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 09:19:18 am »
I agree with both. There should be manual control for those stratagy types and auto for those that just want to have fun. However if we are to make a work of art I really think it needs to be muliplayer in order to shine. I don't care how smart the ai is a human being will always outsmart it and then the player will get bored. Add multiplayer and detailed control and you will be adding a whole new element to the game. It will go beyond the sandbox, beyond civilization, beyond exploration it will become an rts the world has never seen before! Add the FPS element and you'll have flight control, mortal combat, pretty much with a wee bit of effort Spore could crosss all genras of gaming. There would be something in it for everyone and therefore everyone would buy it.

i don't think i would lke an FPS element in it. maybe rts but i think by the time you get to the point were you could get guns, its an RTS. and besides, that would'nt mesh tgether like everything else does,(microbe, creature, tribal, civ., gun?)i think that would break the mesh of it.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 04:46:34 pm »
I agree that (at the moment) and FPS wouldn't work for the game...  it's just out of context.

But yes, echoing the comments of a few others, the problem would be easily dealt with by making very detailed RTS components that are all fully automatable.

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 05:36:00 pm »
This is ment to be the Game of the century,of course it should be stratigic....Well you dont have to be though,your creature could be the kind where they go with out question.

Offline Raisins

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • Mr. Sparkles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 01:17:47 pm »
I don't know why but I have a feeling that this will actually be in the game.
SporeSporeSporeSporeSporeSporeSporeSporeSporeSporeSpore

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 05:21:52 pm »
Maby because your working for Maxis hmmmmmm......Im get too paranoid.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 07:55:24 pm »
I'm guessing it's like every other RTS - you can garrison your villagers/troops in buildings. We can't be sure there'll be bunkers, but there will be defensive structures/abilities.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline Fatalfist

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 08:03:25 pm »
I'm guessing it's like every other RTS - you can garrison your villagers/troops in buildings. We can't be sure there'll be bunkers, but there will be defensive structures/abilities.

im gessing itll be done automaticly (if it happens) you probly wont have that kind of control when he said simplified version of rts. im betting it means youll make your guys send them in or send them to attack attackers and not much more

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 02:28:42 pm »
Or maby you have to put an alarm.Like the people that see the attack they go for the bunker but those that dont,an alarm goes off to warn them.

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 02:45:59 pm »
Perhaps their reactions to the alarm will differ depending on the nature of their species. Passive species will run and hide in their basements, more aggressive species will grab their weapons and go out to fight the invaders... or at least die well trying.

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 02:57:04 pm »
Good idea,Hopefully your people will have diffrent reaction,Like some fight and others hide or  as you said,A fighting race willl fight them off,nor leaving it to the military.

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 06:39:53 pm »
Good point. Different groups among the same species should behave differently. The young, the elderly and (depending on the cultural norms for your race) women might run for cover while those in their prime might fight. Alternately, your species might strap explosives onto the expendable elderly and send them out as a first wave...

The possibilities astound me.

Offline Aegis

• Phoenix Fighter
  • There is no spork.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Aeon
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 08:36:33 pm »
I'd definitely have to agree with Hectonkhyres. There just hasn't been enough tactics in games lately! I mean, not only have RTSs been in a lull, but th-

**Note to self: If 3D game making tool ever gets finished, use every drop of influence you can get out of having made such a program to try and revive RTS.

Anyway, but games have just generally lacked tactics. There has been plenty of twitch games, true, but it's not the same thing as seeing your army of 60 Nod Artillery roll over the GDI base, and knowing, KNOWING that you triumphed because you were smarter than the opponent, not just because you grinded more or your genes happened to combine just right for fast reflexes when you were an embryo. It's not the same as desperately trying to survive an onslaught of opponents, and losing but having enjoyed it anyway because you creatively and logically attempted to solve a problem.

I would love to see some tactics in Spore, some RTS elements in there. It would balance out the creativity perfectly. Although, I'd still be fine with no tactics at all, and I agree that a tactical game is not what everyone is looking for. It just seems to me that a little, just a little, tactical flavouring would further perfect an already nearly perfect game.

Oh, and if by casual gamers you mean people who only play for like 30 minutes every day, then I have no problems with em, but if you mean gamers who don't want to be challanged at all during their gaming experiance... Well, let's just say that shotgun I keep in my closet isn't for hunting.  ;)
Wait, you're telling me Radiosity isn't the graphical simulation of a nuclear bomb?

The Talcea -
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5316.0

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:31 pm »
From what I have seen and read, one of the main points of Spore is that there is going to be something for everybody... but that you can ignore everything besides a few basics and still get along fine. It certainly wouldn't hurt to leave tactics (and just about everything else people complain about as being 'too complex') in so long as one of these casual gamer goons can plow through without really using them. Nobody is going to stop you from putting together a glut of spearsmen and just have them run at the enemy while frothing at the mouth.

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 02:56:50 pm »
Will said you make the  game So I suppose you pickhow stratigic you aree,Your race could plan out alot or just do something wih out a thought.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 04:38:15 am »
im gessing itll be done automaticly (if it happens) you probly wont have that kind of control when he said simplified version of rts.

When you think about a lot of RTS games that are around now, even Starcraft is almost a simplified RTS, and you could still water that down LOADS while retaining the strategic complexity of it.

Consider chess...  a sum total of 6 different units + a playing feild of merely 64 spaces + a single and unchangeable goal + only two possible ways of achieving this goal = infinite complexities

Offline AGENT15

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 09:29:48 am »
HELLS YEAH! Screw casual gamers! What have they ever done for us?
DONT EAT MY FACE!

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 03:52:39 am »
Consider chess...  a sum total of 6 different units + a playing feild of merely 64 spaces + a single and unchangeable goal + only two possible ways of achieving this goal = infinite complexities
Infinite is very large.  Chess game space doesn't even come close to it because we can count the number of possile moves.  Sure chess has a massive game space, but infinite it is not.
Book, book, book

Offline wavelogic

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Who needs friends when you've got latin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2006, 05:13:51 am »
It would be awesome for a fierce and proud nation, when it is attacked to counterattack with Guerilla Warfare. Just think, Willosaurs attacking the occupying Battlefish force. Now that would be cool.

Offline Aegis

• Phoenix Fighter
  • There is no spork.
    • View Profile
    • Digital Aeon
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2006, 08:56:44 am »
It would be awesome for a fierce and proud nation, when it is attacked to counterattack with Guerilla Warfare. Just think, Willosaurs attacking the occupying Battlefish force. Now that would be cool.

Oh HELL YES! A scenario where some alien species occupies you in Spore, and you lead a resistance? Will, you can take my left kidney for that.

That gave me an idea for a cool and yet incredibly nerdy catchphrase: the Spore Revolution.

Now time to spam YTMNDs of it.  :D
Wait, you're telling me Radiosity isn't the graphical simulation of a nuclear bomb?

The Talcea -
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5316.0

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2006, 03:15:47 pm »
Spore for the revolution...I mean Wii....

Imagine you were bombarded by alien with far more U.F.O tech,You build bunkers but they dont last so you move under water.And when you come up from underwater you find the planet is a waste land.

Offline wavelogic

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Who needs friends when you've got latin?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 03:25:37 pm »
Better yet, think of a scenario in which an all-powerful UFO nation comes to your planet and reduces civilization to a greasy skid-mark on the surface of your beloved planet. The world is now a bleak apocalypse. You have gone backwards from the Civilization stage all the way to the Tribal. Now you have major upgrades from weapons of the first time around (instead of bows, think guns.) Now you have to reestablish order and Civilization on your planet. Interesting story, sadly i doubt that there is a chance in hell for there to be all of the game mechanics for this to happen.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 03:37:09 pm »
Infinite is very large.  Chess game space doesn't even come close to it because we can count the number of possile moves.  Sure chess has a massive game space, but infinite it is not.

Yea, I mean, someone only calculated the possible moves/outcomes of a chess game to be (I think) 1064, more than all the atoms in the universe.

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 04:07:41 pm »
Better yet, think of a scenario in which an all-powerful UFO nation comes to your planet and reduces civilization to a greasy skid-mark on the surface of your beloved planet. The world is now a bleak apocalypse. You have gone backwards from the Civilization stage all the way to the Tribal. Now you have major upgrades from weapons of the first time around (instead of bows, think guns.) Now you have to reestablish order and Civilization on your planet. Interesting story, sadly i doubt that there is a chance in hell for there to be all of the game mechanics for this to happen.

I dont think that can happen,hopfully it can,If not somethinglike your city/or one of your citys are the only one left after a huge fight with a U.F.O/or a neighnouring superpower.Rebuilding the citys of ((Insert you creatures name))

Offline White Owl

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Birhak my creation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 06:59:54 pm »
Well if you really want a bunker on the game just build one on the in game builder

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2006, 01:14:50 pm »
Yeah but would they work properly,Infact can you give you city buildings armour,then you could do it.

Offline White Owl

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Birhak my creation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006, 01:48:40 pm »
Well we never know untill we play. But that would be cool to build buildings with armour they might cost more tho

Offline LoneWolf

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 02:01:29 pm »
Maby you can decided what part is armoured and how much of it is so if you can get a bit of the building as a subteanian then you armour the top part heavily.

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2006, 06:31:03 pm »

Yea, I mean, someone only calculated the possible moves/outcomes of a chess game to be (I think) 1064, more than all the atoms in the universe.
Exactly.  1064 is a long way from infinity.  I can think of many numbers greater than it e.g. a google = 10100.  I'm curious, does the figure 1064 include the set of impossible board states?
Book, book, book