Author Topic: Spore Spin-offs (Good or Bad)  (Read 7342 times)

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Spin-offs (Good or Bad)
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 03:22:31 pm »
I agree with the idea that any Spore spin-offs will be smaller scale, they'll focus on specific elements like the galactic diplomacy level and they'll expand on it. I really think that's the only way they could make spin-offs, you just can't get bigger than amoeba ----> galactic god. But you can certainly expand on any given phase in that scale. And I agree it's going to be more of a technological spin-off, not a conceptual spin-off.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 05:21:08 pm »
I'm sure they'll make the Singles equivalent of Spore...

Spore: Flirt Up Your Evolution

Get yourself your own nest and all the other creatures will flock to you! Have as much sex as you can with no eggs to worry about! I've never played Singles so I don't know much about how to make fun of it!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 05:23:56 pm »
The way I see it, if they make Spore right there sould be no need for spinoffs/expansion/whatever.

I mean, from what they have said about Spore thus far, there seems to be plenty of stuff... atleast for me.  :P

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 05:32:13 pm »
I would LOVE to see an RPG semi-based on the Spore engine. Something along the lines of Fable, but less linear and with more little details. Or, working on that, an MMORPG which is like Fable/Spore. With realistic skinning and stuff like that. Maybe you could use a smithing editor to make weapons and armour your own, with magic inbetween.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 05:33:59 pm »
The only realistic Spore spinoff (sporeoff?) I can think of would be the Spore premise applied to a completely different game. Instead of evolution, maybe racing? You make your car in a Sporelike manner. Something like that, but they've already discussed licensing the engine for other EA games, so I'm being somewhat redundant.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 05:43:56 pm »
Well, I see three major innovations in Spore, that I haven't even heard of in games before now.   The first is that "powers of ten" concept with the huge range in scale.  The second is the huge emphasis on player-created content created.  And thirdly choosing what content to provide the player based on how he/she is playing the game.

If we see a ripoff of Spore it would most likely mimic the range in scale, since I see that as the most obvious "amazing" thing about Spore. 

I could see some kind of SporeWar game where you begin as a lone soldier (Wolfenstein), then gain command of a small band of heroes(Rainbow Six, maybe X-Com), and eventually work your way up to command of larger groups(Starcraft-ish), entire armies(historical war games), nations(Risk?, Civ?), and perhaps even unto planets at war.  A few games have done a little of this, like Giant: Citizen Kabuto, but seemed to use it as a gimmick instead of focusing gameplay on it, but once (if?) Spore sells like hotcakes designers and publishers would probably be more receptive to this kind of idea.

If I was to make a prediction, I might take SimCity/SimCopter as an example and say that you will see action games that utilize the content made in Spore.  Accessing the huge DB of unique (and free for EA) content for an endless world of cities and monsters for an action game might be cool.  Spore of the Rings?  Need for Spore?  The Sims: Alien Planet???

scary.  that last one.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 06:15:14 pm »
Spore of the rings...

Now that'd be great

Spider: NOOO you can't do that 3 legged cow!
Cow:But i have to or else these giants cats will kill us
Spider: But the creature editor will kill us all!
Cow: I must.

*boots up the creature editor and turns the cat into a care bear*

Cow: I can't beleive we survived this... We must continue on our quest to throw the creature editor into the waters of Lake Watery.

lol

Will Wright did say he's been working on spore for years now and theirs still another year till its released, so spin offs won't be coming out fast.