Author Topic: X-Men 3 Post-Credit Scene Discussion *Spoiler Warning*  (Read 6423 times)

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
X-Men 3 Post-Credit Scene Discussion *Spoiler Warning*
« on: May 28, 2006, 08:04:42 am »
Okay so we all know that Xavier dies. He gets blown up by the Phoenix/Jean Grey. However as he is very powerful himself he implements his mind into the patient that doesnt have a conscience, but a living body. (you see that guy before when Xavier has a discussion about ethics with his class) BTW the Nurse that takes care of him is Mystique i believe.

I didnt like the fact that magneto still has a little power left. Whats that all about? I mean he got like 4 of those antigenes in his body. Hmm strange.

BEAST KICKS ASS, he works for the UN

OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men 3 Post-Credit Scene Discussion *Spoiler Warning*
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 11:59:50 am »
The woman looking after him is  Dr. Moira MacTaggart, not Mystique. He mentions her name during the ethics class.

I think the fact Magneto has his powers (plus the fact Xavier isn't dead) leaves open the possibility for more movies. Maybe the cure isn't as permanent as they thought. and despite being injected four times Magneteo is so powerful he's already getting some of his power back. The ending really left more unanswered questions then answered ones.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 12:18:32 pm »
right, we can probably expect some other mutants (Rogue) to get their power back as well.

also note the moral letdown of Xavier questioning the morality of putting a person's consciousness in a terminal patient, and then doing it anyway when his life was on the line.

one more thing: Xavier has the same voice after he's "transferred", hinting that the unnamed patient might be a twin brother (so they get to use Stewart again)
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 12:53:01 pm »
also note the moral letdown of Xavier questioning the morality of putting a person's consciousness in a terminal patient, and then doing it anyway when his life was on the line.

Well since we literally know nothing about this fictional process he might have only been able to do it because he knew the man exsisted, and he had to do it right before his death.  I think it's something he did more because he was worried about what the world was like when he was leaving. Phoenix was out of control, a new "cure" had been created and Magneto was gathering an army..

one more thing: Xavier has the same voice after he's "transferred", hinting that the unnamed patient might be a twin brother (so they get to use Stewart again)

One of the people I saw this with mentioned something along those lines. But the man they show has a much darker skin colour . And if it was his twin I think they would have indicated more of a connection when he was showing the video, maybe a slight pause in seeing his bnrother like thatt or something.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 02:29:37 am »
I really liked the part with Magneto at the end, best part of the entire movie.  It either shows that he somehow protected himself against the shots (armour, anyone?), that he's so powerful they didn't affect him, or that the cure isn't permanent.  The latter being most likely, that way they can bring Rogue and all the other mutants that lost their powers, back in future movies.

I really didn't get the thing with Xavier though, they either should have properly killed him, or not bothered at all.
And is it just me, or did it seem like no one cared that Cyclops was dead?   ???

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 04:47:12 am »
Or bothered to "kill" him to show a demonstration of his power. Despite he was basically vaporized, he managed to transfer his concious (assumingly) across a great distance and possess another body before actual death.

It still is a contradiction of his morality debate. So either war the scene was still pretty stupid.

"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 05:51:06 am »
Or bothered to "kill" him to show a demonstration of his power. Despite he was basically vaporized, he managed to transfer his concious (assumingly) across a great distance and possess another body before actual death.

It still is a contradiction of his morality debate. So either war the scene was still pretty stupid.

Haven't seen the movie and don't plan to, and the last thing I want to do is defend a Brett Ratner vehicle, but ... contradicting it is likely the point. Look, we can debate the good or bad of something all we want, but we never know where we stand on an issue till we're directly confronted with it. If Xavier possesses someone (which is an idea I'm not fond of to being with) in order to keep from dying after clearly pointing out the amorality of such an action, then that shows that no issue is so cut 'n dry that you can say for certain what you'd do when it comes to life and death.

Don't get me wrong: I still think it's dumb. But thus far, the moral ambiguity of Xavier's action is the deepest thing I've heard thus far about this movie. The rest of it sounds and looks like utter shlock.

Offline Leng

• !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 12:51:19 pm »
but it wasn't being treated in a deep manner.  it was being treated with "oh here's a way Xavier can live!  yeay!  ..moral implications?  what moral implications?" *surreptitiously slides something under a convenient rug*

about Xavier being vaporized.  it seemed to me that he probably transferred a few seconds before.  at the time it seemed like he was in some sort of transcendental state, his compassion for the world granting him peace with his own death..  but no, in hindsight it was more like the brainless smile of a man with the IQ of a tapeworm, further ruining the moment.
I have been told

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 12:57:28 pm »
but it wasn't being treated in a deep manner. it was being treated with "oh here's a way Xavier can live! yeay! ..moral implications? what moral implications?" *surreptitiously slides something under a convenient rug*

Blame that on a director that's shining moment in production is the filming of a Jessica Simpson video from the Dukes of Hazzard movie.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 02:12:35 pm »
but it wasn't being treated in a deep manner. it was being treated with "oh here's a way Xavier can live! yeay! ..moral implications? what moral implications?"

We can make a fourth! If they do, then they don't need to explain themselves, if they don't.. well then it turns out to be a pointless scene.

Offline Leng

• !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 03:05:18 pm »
pointless yes... but if they don't make another movie then who cares?  you already paid your 8 bucks so they might as well have Patrick Stewart doing a love scene with Ian McKellan.
I have been told

c14dude

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 06:40:35 pm »
goddamn it! i just had to click this topic without seeing the movie first didnt i  >:(

Offline DMB

• Venture Conqueror
  • Braaiiiiinnnsss and cake!
    • View Profile
    • BobtheZombie's Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 10:41:26 pm »
but it wasn't being treated in a deep manner. it was being treated with "oh here's a way Xavier can live! yeay! ..moral implications? what moral implications?"

We can make a fourth! If they do, then they don't need to explain themselves, if they don't.. well then it turns out to be a pointless scene.
I remember a joke about this: X-men: The last stand: no really, its the last stand! honest.
Save Ferris. Save the World.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."Bob's Blog

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 08:40:00 am »
goddamn it! i just had to click this topic without seeing the movie first didnt i >:(

It seems it might just save you $8. Don't knock it. :)

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 10:39:00 am »

::)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 10:43:47 am »

::)

Hey, can't help it. If people are getting this riled up over a scene following the ending credits, something is amiss and maybe it's worthing waiting till DVD to see.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 10:47:58 am »
Okay so we all know that Xavier dies. He gets blown up by the Phoenix/Jean Grey. However as he is very powerful himself he implements his mind into the patient that doesnt have a conscience, but a living body. (you see that guy before when Xavier has a discussion about ethics with his class)

I totally didn't realize that was what happened.  Now it makes sense.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 04:32:31 pm »
And is it just me, or did it seem like no one cared that Cyclops was dead?   ???

Oh yeah, he died huh.... oh well, I never really liked him anyway, lets move on

Offline Leng

• !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 01:59:53 pm »
Moral implications? Prof X already said in his lesson near the start of the movie that yes, doing things for personal reasons may be bad but acting for the greater good is good.

Surely preserving himself, the leader and organiser of mutant resistance to naughty mutants and overzealous government officals then he's acting in the greater good.

yeah, but so is Magneto.  the whole reason Magneto is the villain is that he has noble goals, and simply doesn't care how many corpses he has to leave behind to reach them.  Prof X & co represent the "Pure" (IE, impractical) Good that constantly strives for compassion in both ends and means.. only now that's ruined because Xavier stole a man's body to further his own noble goals.
I have been told

Offline Leng

• !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 05:39:33 pm »
no, he really wants to make the world a better place. but like i said he takes the long view and so long as the "greater good" exceeds the body count in his eyes it doesn't matter. unfortunately the movies have never treated this with the depth it deserves, even though someone who saw the animated series can still recognize the same moral dynamic.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:29:33 pm by Leng »
I have been told

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 01:14:44 am »
I think we can be pretty sure that the scene with Magneto towards the end says that the cure was only temporary, as he shows surprise in his ability to move the piece just slightly. As for Xavier's taking over the new body...well, it does seem like quite the tradeoff. Die, or live via an immoral decision. Frankly I'd chose the latter.