Author Topic: Will there be a problem with the ps3 price?  (Read 9581 times)

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
Re: Will there be a problem with the ps3 price?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 02:28:17 pm »
Sorry, but if you're expecting PS3 games to look any better, or be cheaper then you've bought into Sony's hype train, and you will be burned.
From what little actual game footage we've seen of PS3 games, it doesn't even come close to the 360.  The only game that comes close is Metal Gear Solid 4, and even then it's not actual gameplay footage and isn't an accurate representation.  Even if the game comes out and looks just like that, try comparing it to Gears of War or Mass Effect.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 02:31:41 pm »
actually early ps3 games do not even come close to the full graphical potential of the system as they do not know the finalised specs and so cannot take full advantage of them.

ps3 specs are almost twice as high as the 360 and i do not think there games cost less and i am willing to spend more on titles such as motorstorm and warhawk and mgs4
Never mind your own business.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 03:22:30 pm »
In my opinion, the PS 3 will do just fine.

There are more then enough hardcore gamers and Playstations fans to deplete the first shipment(s), and once the price drops it will defiantly sell a lot of units. Not to mention the Blu-Ray player, while it may not be as big of a factor as the DVD was for PS 2, it will defiantly sell a lot of PS 3's.

It will take more time, however, for the PS 3 to be as successful as the PS 2. If it even has that kind of success. And Sony may not hold as big of a lead as they did this generation. Nevertheless, the Playstation brand is really strong and Sony defiantly ain't gonna discontinue it unless it sells no units at all.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 04:05:59 pm by Cool AN »

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 04:06:56 pm »
It's not the price that determines the success of a system it's the games.

Yep.

You do live in bizarro world where the SEGA Dreamcast won the console war, right?

Since when did Dreamcast have better games than PS2? Graphically yes but that's not the only thing that determines the quality of a game.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 04:42:19 pm »
actually early ps3 games do not even come close to the full graphical potential of the system as they do not know the finalised specs and so cannot take full advantage of them.

ps3 specs are almost twice as high as the 360 and i do not think there games cost less and i am willing to spend more on titles such as motorstorm and warhawk and mgs4

Don't believe the hype. Until you hear developers saying that the PS3 is twice as powerful then you can believe it, but most of them are saying that it's just as powerful as the 360. Then again Sony says their games are in 4D ::)
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

werechicken

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 06:28:32 pm »

Don't forget RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!!!!!!!

For those who missed it here is a summery of the Sony E3 presentation; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC6yQ&search=sony%20conference%201%20minute
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 06:31:41 pm by werechicken »

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 12:09:25 am »
Almost all developers have been saying there is next to know difference between the 360 and PS3.  Even Hideo Kojima said that the 360 would have no problem running MGS4 in real time.  Infact, the only people to be saying the PS3 is a more powerful system is Sony..  Odd that, isn't it?

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 03:24:03 am »
Actually John Carmack has said that the PS 3 has a higher peal performance, but it requires more work to achieve it.

So the PS 3 has the potential to look better, but you have to work harder for it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 03:26:39 am by Cool AN »

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Hiro Protagonist

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 09:38:40 am »

Way to spread misinformation. *golf clap* I'd like to know how you even came to that conclusion.

My biggest problem with the price of the PS3 is the blu-ray player. I'm not convinced it is a necessity for next generation gaming, and while I think making it standard in every PS3 is a viable business strategy to push their new format, I don't want them doing it on my dime.

Offline Hiro Protagonist

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 09:58:53 am »
Actually John Carmack has said that the PS 3 has a higher peal performance, but it requires more work to achieve it.

So the PS 3 has the potential to look better, but you have to work harder for it.

I've never read that, but I could believe it coming from Carmack. The difference is probably marginal at best, and it's really more what the developer can do, not what the hardware is capable of necessarily. Both systems will have their fair share of crap looking games and vise versa. Even though some people will argue it into the ground, I think it's pretty much a moot point. Both systems are going to have their own awesome exclusives that will be fun as hell to play. Arguing about graphical prowess is so tiresome, it's mind boggling why some people care so much.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 10:07:25 am »
Found the interview.

Anyway, the systems are also very different, so a direct comparison will not work. Both systems will have their own share of great looking games, though the PS 3 may still have a small advantage just going by numbers. Though this doesn't naturally mean all the PS 3 will look 10x as good as the Xbox 360 games.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 10:31:10 am »
Found the interview.

Anyway, the systems are also very different, so a direct comparison will not work. Both systems will have their own share of great looking games, though the PS 3 may still have a small advantage just going by numbers. Though this doesn't naturally mean all the PS 3 will look 10x as good as the Xbox 360 games.

Based on what he was saying, it doesn't mean they'll look any better at any point in the future. Going assymetrical is apparentally a nightmare to program for. When Carmack mentions 'sweating blood' and the like, that's a hugely bad sign. There are few better designers and technical programmers in the world than Carmack. So yeah, I thought it was a pretty major slight to Sony's position.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 12:50:39 pm »
well early ps3 games look amazing and the developers said that since they don't know the final specs of the system these games don't take full advantage of it so that is not the best a playstation 3 can look, and also simple logic says that the system is more powerful as it uses later technology which is betta!!  ;D

i am gonna wait a few months and see what happens
Never mind your own business.

Offline Kyyp

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Multipass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 01:23:58 pm »
That is true for any system though.
Look at the first N64 games then look at the ones that came out just before the GC was released.
There is always a big improvement from the first games to the last on any consle.
So yes, the PS3 games will improve, but so will the 360 and Wii games.
And 360 games and Wii game also look amazing too (if you say that the new Zelda and Gears of War do not look really nice then you are just blind with fanboyism, and cannot be reasoned with).

And please, don't even mention MGS4, as we haven't even seen any gameplay, just cutscenes, which ALWAYS look better than the actual game.

Offline cavalri

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 06:49:19 pm »
With the price of the PS3 being roughly equal to the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii combined, it's going to be a tough sell for Sony, especially in Europe where 600 euros is quite a bit more than $600 US. Most Europeans pay a lot more in sales tax than we do in the US, so you need to take that into consideration also. I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with the pricing figures.

Finding a currency converter with the rates current as of 29 May 06 we find that:

600 = $765.48 USD

425  = $790.44 USD

Now add tax onto that.