Author Topic: Will there be a problem with the ps3 price?  (Read 9586 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
Will there be a problem with the ps3 price?
« on: May 28, 2006, 07:18:03 am »
i am seriously worried because i hate the xbox 360 and the original and i love playstations but i dont care about the plasystation 3 price, i can easily afford it but i am worried that not enough other people will be able to buy this and they wont sell enough then game makers will lose intrest in the ps3 and so there wont be anygames for it

Never mind your own business.

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
Re: Will there be a problem with the ps3 price?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 07:36:58 am »
It's not the price that determines the success of a system it's the games.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:59:12 am »
but what if people just don't want to buy a system for that much?

i mean it is alotta cash, i did a bit of searching on the internet and found that, someone cared enough to make it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 08:10:13 am by Brutus_ »

Offline Kyyp

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Multipass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 08:43:19 am »
Most people I know (and myself) will not be buying one at launch.
They will either wait until the price drops significantly or buy one used.
While it is true that the games make the system, the game better be pretty damn incredible to jutify paying $600.
I could buy a Wii AND a 360 for the price of one PS3, so that is twice as many games available to me for the same price (and do not say that they don't have any good games, thats just fanboyism, every system has its good and bad games).
Do I WANT a PS3? Of course, I love my PS2 (which I also bought used).
Do I want it badly enough to pay $600? No
I am far more excited for some of the Wii and 360 games (SSB:Brawl and Gears of War) than I am for any PS3 game.

I am sure Sony will do just fine despite the price of the system.
They're a big company with a big fanbase.

Offline acidic dot

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 09:37:27 am »
Once I stopped to think about it.  Sony will sell the system at $600, when sales begin to slow they will lower the price, etc.  The 360 will be cheaper though, certainly before the first PS3 price drop the 360 will drop in price.

I can see the market share going either way at this point.  I do think it will be a closer race this time though.  Still very interested to see how all this unfolds, which won't be clear for some time.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 11:52:42 am »

Yep.

You do live in bizarro world where the SEGA Dreamcast won the console war, right?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 01:03:50 pm »
The easiest soloution to the problem is, stop hating the Xbox, just "because".
The biggest problem with the videogame industry is closed minded fanboys.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 01:42:32 pm »

Winter posted this a while ago, but I thik it needs to be brought back  :P

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 01:47:51 pm »
A lot of folks I've known don't actually -hate- certain consoles... they just don't particularly like them, but use hate as some kind of bad distraction tactic so they don't have to explain that their reasoning is nonexistent.
That wasn't a jab at you, Brutus. Just saying.

The PS3's price is a problem for me. I used to get my family to share in the price, but then we'd fight over the machine (back in PS1 days). Now, I really enjoy having my own so nobody bothers me for it.
But at 599 bucks? I can't enjoy that... that will almost certainly make my heart hurt if I bought that. It's not that I have better things to spend my money on (which I do, but that's not the point), it's that... I simply do not want to spend that much on a console. That's just ridiculous.
Not even for MGS4, which I really do want.

I won't partake at release, and neither will a lot of other people it seems.
This will probably cause Sony a few problems... but tough balls.  :-*

EDIT: Now I remembered one thing I meant to say.
The console is simply not that valuable. I cannot put such a price on it because Sony still needs to give me reasons other than technical power to buy it.
They'd better get some ace ad campaigns and game companies on their side soon. I don't mind buying the games and waiting 'til the price drops 200 bucks, even if that takes one or five years.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 02:13:26 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Kyyp

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Multipass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 01:51:09 pm »

QFT

I don't see why anyone thinks they have to make one console be the god of all consoles.
All 3 are good systems, they all have the pros and cons.
PS3's con just happens to be that it is ridiculously expensive.

werechicken

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 01:58:39 pm »
My new PC cost £600, and it's pretty damn good, If a top of the line PS3 is around £400 or mor, I can see allot of people going for the PC option

Offline Kyyp

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Multipass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 02:03:53 pm »
If I remeber correctly, they just left the price at 600 when they went to pricing in europe.
$600
£600
I remember many many people complaining about this on some of the other forums I visit.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 02:10:40 pm »

QFT

I don't see why anyone thinks they have to make one console be the god of all consoles.
All 3 are good systems, they all have the pros and cons.
PS3's con just happens to be that it is ridiculously expensive.

I never said anyone here feels that way.  Infact this about the one Gaming forum I've found to not have that kind of crap.  :)
I was just stating my opinion on the matter.  Too many people avoid certain consoles, just because.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 02:20:14 pm »
give in to the 360, it'll make you happy, or the wii or both. But going back to your original post PS3 will have games for it, I'm not sure if there will be any thing worth getting at first. In the long run i think the 360 or wii will be a better value. You said the price doesn't concern you so get a 360 now, a wii at Christmas and a PS3 a year from now and you should be fine as far as games go.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 02:25:50 pm »
i mean 400 pounds for a console is a bit much but xboxs just arn't a big enough improvment for me, i mean yeah you get snazzy graphics and stuff but they are ugly, cost more and the games are 20 quid more expensive, just not worth it, and also the graphgical improvement isn't massive, i mean its alot better but just not that much and i am saving up for a projector t.v and stuff at the moment so i just can't churn out that much money, i am a more casual gamer, rather than some extreme people and i would love to bost all the latest hardware but i just dont want all three that badly, and plus i feel like a bit of a nerd if i have 2 consoles so i am gonna pick one, maybe after looking at the sales of the ps3  i'll decide, anywhere where i can access sales information as it happens?

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 02:28:17 pm »
Sorry, but if you're expecting PS3 games to look any better, or be cheaper then you've bought into Sony's hype train, and you will be burned.
From what little actual game footage we've seen of PS3 games, it doesn't even come close to the 360.  The only game that comes close is Metal Gear Solid 4, and even then it's not actual gameplay footage and isn't an accurate representation.  Even if the game comes out and looks just like that, try comparing it to Gears of War or Mass Effect.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 02:31:41 pm »
actually early ps3 games do not even come close to the full graphical potential of the system as they do not know the finalised specs and so cannot take full advantage of them.

ps3 specs are almost twice as high as the 360 and i do not think there games cost less and i am willing to spend more on titles such as motorstorm and warhawk and mgs4

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 03:22:30 pm »
In my opinion, the PS 3 will do just fine.

There are more then enough hardcore gamers and Playstations fans to deplete the first shipment(s), and once the price drops it will defiantly sell a lot of units. Not to mention the Blu-Ray player, while it may not be as big of a factor as the DVD was for PS 2, it will defiantly sell a lot of PS 3's.

It will take more time, however, for the PS 3 to be as successful as the PS 2. If it even has that kind of success. And Sony may not hold as big of a lead as they did this generation. Nevertheless, the Playstation brand is really strong and Sony defiantly ain't gonna discontinue it unless it sells no units at all.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 04:05:59 pm by Cool AN »

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline dmngd

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • FOR AIUR!!!!1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 04:06:56 pm »

Yep.

You do live in bizarro world where the SEGA Dreamcast won the console war, right?

Since when did Dreamcast have better games than PS2? Graphically yes but that's not the only thing that determines the quality of a game.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 04:42:19 pm »
actually early ps3 games do not even come close to the full graphical potential of the system as they do not know the finalised specs and so cannot take full advantage of them.

ps3 specs are almost twice as high as the 360 and i do not think there games cost less and i am willing to spend more on titles such as motorstorm and warhawk and mgs4

Don't believe the hype. Until you hear developers saying that the PS3 is twice as powerful then you can believe it, but most of them are saying that it's just as powerful as the 360. Then again Sony says their games are in 4D ::)
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

werechicken

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 06:28:32 pm »

Don't forget RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER!!!!!!!!!

For those who missed it here is a summery of the Sony E3 presentation; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJElsNaC6yQ&search=sony%20conference%201%20minute
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 06:31:41 pm by werechicken »

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 12:09:25 am »
Almost all developers have been saying there is next to know difference between the 360 and PS3.  Even Hideo Kojima said that the 360 would have no problem running MGS4 in real time.  Infact, the only people to be saying the PS3 is a more powerful system is Sony..  Odd that, isn't it?

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 03:24:03 am »
Actually John Carmack has said that the PS 3 has a higher peal performance, but it requires more work to achieve it.

So the PS 3 has the potential to look better, but you have to work harder for it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 03:26:39 am by Cool AN »

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Hiro Protagonist

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 09:38:40 am »

Way to spread misinformation. *golf clap* I'd like to know how you even came to that conclusion.

My biggest problem with the price of the PS3 is the blu-ray player. I'm not convinced it is a necessity for next generation gaming, and while I think making it standard in every PS3 is a viable business strategy to push their new format, I don't want them doing it on my dime.

Offline Hiro Protagonist

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 09:58:53 am »
Actually John Carmack has said that the PS 3 has a higher peal performance, but it requires more work to achieve it.

So the PS 3 has the potential to look better, but you have to work harder for it.

I've never read that, but I could believe it coming from Carmack. The difference is probably marginal at best, and it's really more what the developer can do, not what the hardware is capable of necessarily. Both systems will have their fair share of crap looking games and vise versa. Even though some people will argue it into the ground, I think it's pretty much a moot point. Both systems are going to have their own awesome exclusives that will be fun as hell to play. Arguing about graphical prowess is so tiresome, it's mind boggling why some people care so much.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 10:07:25 am »
Found the interview.

Anyway, the systems are also very different, so a direct comparison will not work. Both systems will have their own share of great looking games, though the PS 3 may still have a small advantage just going by numbers. Though this doesn't naturally mean all the PS 3 will look 10x as good as the Xbox 360 games.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 10:31:10 am »
Found the interview.

Anyway, the systems are also very different, so a direct comparison will not work. Both systems will have their own share of great looking games, though the PS 3 may still have a small advantage just going by numbers. Though this doesn't naturally mean all the PS 3 will look 10x as good as the Xbox 360 games.

Based on what he was saying, it doesn't mean they'll look any better at any point in the future. Going assymetrical is apparentally a nightmare to program for. When Carmack mentions 'sweating blood' and the like, that's a hugely bad sign. There are few better designers and technical programmers in the world than Carmack. So yeah, I thought it was a pretty major slight to Sony's position.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 12:50:39 pm »
well early ps3 games look amazing and the developers said that since they don't know the final specs of the system these games don't take full advantage of it so that is not the best a playstation 3 can look, and also simple logic says that the system is more powerful as it uses later technology which is betta!!  ;D

i am gonna wait a few months and see what happens

Offline Kyyp

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Multipass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 01:23:58 pm »
That is true for any system though.
Look at the first N64 games then look at the ones that came out just before the GC was released.
There is always a big improvement from the first games to the last on any consle.
So yes, the PS3 games will improve, but so will the 360 and Wii games.
And 360 games and Wii game also look amazing too (if you say that the new Zelda and Gears of War do not look really nice then you are just blind with fanboyism, and cannot be reasoned with).

And please, don't even mention MGS4, as we haven't even seen any gameplay, just cutscenes, which ALWAYS look better than the actual game.

Offline cavalri

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 06:49:19 pm »
With the price of the PS3 being roughly equal to the Xbox 360 and the Nintendo Wii combined, it's going to be a tough sell for Sony, especially in Europe where 600 euros is quite a bit more than $600 US. Most Europeans pay a lot more in sales tax than we do in the US, so you need to take that into consideration also. I don't know what they were thinking when they came up with the pricing figures.

Finding a currency converter with the rates current as of 29 May 06 we find that:

€600 = $765.48 USD

£425  = $790.44 USD

Now add tax onto that.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 12:51:19 am »
seven-hundred-and-sixty-five U.S dollars
Giant enemy crab
Riiiiidge Racer!

I'm taking bets on what the final nail in the PS3's coffin will be.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 01:15:51 am »
How about a superior version of Grand Theft Auto IV coming out on the 360 as the same time as the PS3?
Superior, if you're willing to pay for the DLC anyway.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2006, 02:38:09 am »
seven hundred and sixty five dollars!!! oh my ****ing god, that is rediculous, i hate being ripped off and that is a major ripp, i refuse to pay almost 1000 dollars for a console, that is just ****ing rediculous, right i am gonna go put a order on a wii and a 360 or somthing but unless they say "we have just lowered to price" i am gonna stick with somthing else, maybe i should just forget consoles and get a amazing pc

Offline The Dead Herring

• Dragster Diehard
  • Mmmmm grunge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2006, 02:20:46 pm »
Look this is a dumb debate. If the PS3 doesn't sell **** at that price tag, they they will be forced to lower the it. Perhaps Sony are trying to say that their system is superior by giving it a higher price tag.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 05:45:38 am »
Look this is a dumb debate. If the PS3 doesn't sell **** at that price tag, they they will be forced to lower the it. Perhaps Sony are trying to say that their system is superior by giving it a higher price tag.

Quite honestly, lowering the price tag should the console sell remarkably not well would seriously hurt Sony. They are already taking a massive hit on this thing as it is, and their financial situation doesn't make them dropping the price an especially strong possibility. I mean, yes, they will inevitably, but not till they've lined up a means of getting the components for much cheaper than they are now.

Offline dawolffman1

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2006, 07:06:58 pm »

Quite honestly, lowering the price tag should the console sell remarkably not well would seriously hurt Sony. They are already taking a massive hit on this thing as it is, and their financial situation doesn't make them dropping the price an especially strong possibility. I mean, yes, they will inevitably, but not till they've lined up a means of getting the components for much cheaper than they are now.

Good point. Remember how Microsoft didn't want to lower the price of the Xbox because they were already losing money on each console sale?

But otherwise...

I personally will not buy a PS3. 600 bucks is too much, period, and it's been hinted by Sony that games could be as much as $80 USD each. Suppose there's a holiday bundle of PS3, a game, and an extra controller. I'm guessing this will be about $700 USD. Expensive, yes, but not extortionately so, and it's not so high that it won't sell out. (Let's face it, Sony fanboys will make that a certainty.) Or, you could buy a 360 bundle, with a game and a controller, for $500 USD (and probably a lot less, since it's a smart business move to lower the price right aat the launch of the other two consoles.) Or, you could buy a Wii bundle for a LOT less, probably like $300 or $350 USD. There are great games for all systems, sure, but the pricetag attached to the PS3 and games could give a lot of people pause. No, scratch that, it WILL give a lot of people pause.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2006, 01:51:41 pm »

Good point. Remember how Microsoft didn't want to lower the price of the Xbox because they were already losing money on each console sale?

But otherwise...

I personally will not buy a PS3. 600 bucks is too much, period, and it's been hinted by Sony that games could be as much as $80 USD each. Suppose there's a holiday bundle of PS3, a game, and an extra controller. I'm guessing this will be about $700 USD. Expensive, yes, but not extortionately so, and it's not so high that it won't sell out. (Let's face it, Sony fanboys will make that a certainty.) Or, you could buy a 360 bundle, with a game and a controller, for $500 USD (and probably a lot less, since it's a smart business move to lower the price right aat the launch of the other two consoles.) Or, you could buy a Wii bundle for a LOT less, probably like $300 or $350 USD. There are great games for all systems, sure, but the pricetag attached to the PS3 and games could give a lot of people pause. No, scratch that, it WILL give a lot of people pause.

What I find interesting is how many people have started taking up the rallying cry of "It's all about the games!," will state that each system will have awesome games on it, and yet will still purchase a PS3 before the other two. That makes zero sense to me, unless you're simply that interested in watching another confusing MGS movie. ;)

Offline cpugeek13

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2006, 03:40:15 pm »
I think its unfair to fans of ps-only games like FF and MGS. Imagine if you had to pay $670 to play the next Zelda game. Thats the dilemna a lot of ps fans are facing now  :-\

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2006, 04:11:33 pm »

But otherwise...

um... the regular wii is 250 us dollars. ::) and for a christmas deal maybe 200.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

werechicken

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2006, 04:33:08 pm »
I think its unfair to fans of ps-only games like FF and MGS. Imagine if you had to pay $670 to play the next Zelda game. Thats the dilemna a lot of ps fans are facing now  :-\
actually there is a final fantasy game coming out for the Wii

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2006, 05:00:13 pm »
um... the regular wii is 250 us dollars. ::) and for a christmas deal maybe 200.

Nintendo hasn't released an official price point yet, but they have said it will be less than $250. It'll probably be in the $200-$250 range.

actually there is a final fantasy game coming out for the Wii

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/finalfantasycrystalchronicles/index.html

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2006, 06:41:34 am »

You know what the solution is, don't you? Don't buy it. So long as Sony has the most successful platform and has such close ties with Square Enix or Konami, you're likely to never see a core Final Fantasy or Metal Gear title on any other console. The solution is to make the PS3 so unsuccessful that the 3rd parties actually decide to jump ship and at least go cross-platform with their games from now on. Because honestly, 3rd party support is the ONE major selling point Sony has always had going for them and it's seen them through two generation and now they've become pricks. So force game developers hands by NOT supporting their PS3 content. That's really the only thing that will bring about a change.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2006, 11:34:59 am »
that already started happening. solid snake in SSBB, and a final fantasy game for the wii is in the works. baby steps, but steps none the less.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2006, 02:21:27 pm »
that already started happening. solid snake in SSBB, and a final fantasy game for the wii is in the works. baby steps, but steps none the less.

Eh, not really. Kojima is a self-proclaimed Nintendo fan, but he's also said that MGS is a PlayStation game for ... well ... ever. And he tends to be pretty honest overall, even if his loyalties are a bit out of whack IMO. And Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles II -- whatever the hell that expanded title is -- isn't such a step as it is a proponent of the status quo. We've already seen it on another Nintendo platform, doesn't mean the core FF is coming over; in fact, Square has said that FF XIII wouldn't even run on the Wii, so they haven't any interest in developing for it outside of the CC series.

Is strange though that they developed Mario Hoops for the DS. That still weirds me out.

Offline dawolffman1

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2006, 07:40:22 pm »

Eh, not really. Kojima is a self-proclaimed Nintendo fan, but he's also said that MGS is a PlayStation game for ... well ... ever. And he tends to be pretty honest overall, even if his loyalties are a bit out of whack IMO. And Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles II -- whatever the hell that expanded title is -- isn't such a step as it is a proponent of the status quo. We've already seen it on another Nintendo platform, doesn't mean the core FF is coming over; in fact, Square has said that FF XIII wouldn't even run on the Wii, so they haven't any interest in developing for it outside of the CC series.

That's the thing though. The PS3 has a few AAA titles in the bag, (MGS, FF) granted. But, I think that even beyond the fact that many smaller 3rd party developers want to spread their games out over as many consoles as possible, high development costs for the PS3 could push many of them toward the 360 exclusively. (I'm excluding the Wii for the sake of argument, since although many games could theoretically be ported to Wii, the controller might make this difficult. Don't rule it out though.) And, if the PS3 doesn't sell as much as previously anticipated, the smaller market could reduce profit margins for publishers and developers even more. Which leads to less development on the PS3, which leads to less console sales, which leads to less profit, which leads to less development... you get the idea.

It's my opinion that (for the US market at least; the Japanese market is a whole different beast, and I don't think Europe is a big enough market at this point, at least for consoles.) the PS3 launch will be a "make or break" moment. If they don't sell enough at launch, that crucial second wave of top-notch titles the next holiday season (2007) might not be so top-notch.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2006, 12:12:55 am »
dawolffmam1 it's not the PS3 launch they have to worry about it's the how it sells after April or when supplies are more available. Yes if the PS3 doesn't sell out on launch or at least by Christmas it will be terrible for Sony, but most likely there will be people who must have the PS3 at whatever cost, ie E-bay. It's the months after when the hype has died down that will really help or hurt Sony. Everything else you said is fine I just have to nit-pick from time to time
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2006, 12:17:53 am »
The PS3 and Wii will both definatly sell out at launch, I think almost every new console has.  Definatly something as big as the PS3 will, but I don't think that's the make or break moment.  All the hardcore Sony fans are going to get it as soon as possible, no matter how much they have to pay.  It's after the innitial launch that's important, when the more casual fans have to decide which console they should bother buying.  Are they going to pay the $600, and god knows how much for the more expensive games?

In Japan, it's certainly not going to be a problem, the PS3 is going to do fine there no matter what.  But in America/Europe, etc, I think they're going to start to seriously lose sales to Microsoft, especially now that most of their exclusive titles are gone.  Final Fantasy and Metal Gear are really about the only ones left.  Even Assassins Creed seems to be multiplatform..

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 12:46:54 am »

Re-read what you quoted. "Bundle."

As for the actual topic of this thread, I've been reading the PS3 debates religiously since they started, and I have to agree that Sony is going to lose ground in the next console battle...But I'm buying a Wii and using my computer for all the other games I play, so I tend to stay out of these debates.  :P It just doesn't concern me THAT much.

Offline Twitchy

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 03:52:37 am »
It's hard to believe that the PS3's high price won't cause problems for Sony if you've read what many of the game developers and analysis predict. I know that I certainly won't be changing my PS2 for a PS3 if there are two other consoles that fulfill my gaming needs for a significantly less price.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2006, 11:15:51 am »
That's the thing though. The PS3 has a few AAA titles in the bag, (MGS, FF) granted. But, I think that even beyond the fact that many smaller 3rd party developers want to spread their games out over as many consoles as possible, high development costs for the PS3 could push many of them toward the 360 exclusively.

Perhaps. The asymmetrical format of the PS3 -- of which I have NO understanding whatsoever, but if it concerns Carmack, it should concern everyone -- is definitely going to push up development costs. But that's only true if you're trying to design a game that's going to take advantage of every bell and whistle. People could easily compare the graphics in FF XII and Disgaea and assume that the latter was released on a differen platform, a weaker one in fact. Is Disgaea a huge system-seller? No. But the fact that it singlehandedly brought Nippon Ichi to the notice of gamers around the world does suggest that it made significantly more than what they invested in its development. My point being that developers will have the discretion to spend as much as they like when producing games regardless of the platform, and if they think the PS3 will end up in more homes in the end, they'll develop for it. They'll likely wait to release the game till later in its lifetime -- which is why we're seeing as many AAA titles as we are hitting the PS2 the end of this year, since the installed base is huge -- and increase their odds of having a niche hit on their hands.

That said, I think you'll see some of the more ambitious small studios on MS's machine for the simple fact that they will want to include all those graphical goodies but they may want to achieve that level without going bankrupt. Crytek, for example, might simply keep Crysis on the PC since FPSs naturally belong there and never bring it over due to the fact that developing for the PC is likely still easier overall. [That is, unless Sony or Microsoft can make it worth their while to bring it over.]

(I'm excluding the Wii for the sake of argument, since although many games could theoretically be ported to Wii, the controller might make this difficult. Don't rule it out though.)

I think you'll only see porting from the PS3 or 360 to the Wii from the bigger developers. The controller would make it so challenging that many devs are going to turn lazy and not even bother.

And, if the PS3 doesn't sell as much as previously anticipated, the smaller market could reduce profit margins for publishers and developers even more. Which leads to less development on the PS3, which leads to less console sales, which leads to less profit, which leads to less development... you get the idea.

Only if they're dumb enough to retain the game on the PS3. If the PS3 were to monumentally fail, I'm sure Konami could convince Kojima that a port for MGS 4 would make sense and he'd likely send it to the 360 despite his utter distaste for ports. I don't think that'll ever happen, however, seeing as some of the guaranteed buyers of the PS3, even if it were to turn into an utter disaster, would be the 3.5 million folks that purchased the previous MGS games. Same could go for the Final Fantasy series. What I think you're going to see though is that more original IPs will get launched multi-platform due to the sheer necessity of capturing an audience. That, or they'll bounce between the PC and 360.

It's my opinion that (for the US market at least; the Japanese market is a whole different beast, and I don't think Europe is a big enough market at this point, at least for consoles.) the PS3 launch will be a "make or break" moment. If they don't sell enough at launch, that crucial second wave of top-notch titles the next holiday season (2007) might not be so top-notch.

I think the US market might be more hesitant to purchase immediately and wait till the big games land on the system, so I'm not sure I agree. I believe Japan will prefer the Wii over the PS3, but the PS3 will sell well there, mostly because it's only graphical opponent is a no-show there. Europe is an underutilized market. There's a lot of potential marketshare there waiting to be tapped, but most console companies screw Europeans over so much price-wise that it's hard to know where it would be otherwise. But with the PS3 clocking in so high in Europe, I can't see it doing well there; the Wii might do all right, since it will have some good stuff and be far more affordable, even if Nintendo's European branch has pissed people off for a while now.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2006, 04:18:24 pm »
I'm not sure if this has been brought up... but the PS3 is meant to be more of a cheap Blu-ray player than an expensive gaming machine. So this into Hi-def make sure to get one.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2006, 04:39:01 pm »
then why in hell is it in trhe console wars?

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2006, 12:40:18 am »
I'm not sure if this has been brought up... but the PS3 is meant to be more of a cheap Blu-ray player than an expensive gaming machine. So this into Hi-def make sure to get one.

That's one of the things that's really putting me off.  I have no interest in blu-ray, or even HD-DVD for that matter.  I don't see either format going anywhere, and I'm glad Microsoft decided not to include an HD-DVD player with the 360 - because it's about the only thing in the PS3 that's making it so damn expensive.  I don't feel like upgrading my movie collection every time a slightly better format get's released.  Okay, so we can have the entire Lord of the Rings movie collection on one disc, but that doesn't help gaming in any way.  The easier and cheaper format usually wins out anyway, I don't think DVD is going anywhere for a long time.  It's just another one of Sony's better media formats, like betamax or UMD.

And what about HVD?  When that becomes widely available it's just going to make blu-ray/hd-dvd pointless.  It stores 10x the amount of blu-ray, at 1.8 terabytes.  And then what will come after that?  Maybe it's just me, but DVD suits me just fine for now.