Author Topic: X-Men 3  (Read 12241 times)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
X-Men 3
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:23:45 pm »
So has anyone seen it? Is it any good even with the new director?

I'm hearing mixed things

Offline DMB

• Venture Conqueror
  • Braaiiiiinnnsss and cake!
    • View Profile
    • BobtheZombie's Blog
Re: X-Men 3
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:07:48 pm »
I'm hoping to see it of the fact that its the final movie of the trilogy but Im hearing good reviews from it.
Save Ferris. Save the World.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."Bob's Blog

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 11:10:13 pm »
My best friend saw it this evening and called me with a review. His review consisted of begging me to keep my money and boycott the film. So yeah, not a rolling endorsement by any means. He proceeded to go off on the film for thirty minutes after that, growing more and more irate with Avi Arad and Brett Ratner with each passing comment.

Oh, and something about his left testicle being able to write a better script. Which I doubt frankly. So yeah, I'm not going to see it. I have never seen him go off on a film like that before, at least not for reasons of quality.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 11:41:02 pm »
I just came back from seeing it twice tonight. It's great.  Anyone who sees it, stay for the end of the credits there is a special scene there. I saw it with four friends and we both saw it twice.  It's definately a fun good film. I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a movie. I'm not even a big comic book fan, but I seriously left the theatre with a ear to ear grin. I thought it was great fun.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 05:14:31 am »
I just came back from seeing it twice tonight. It's great.† Anyone who sees it, stay for the end of the credits there is a special scene there. I saw it with four friends and we both saw it twice.† It's definately a fun good film. I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a movie. I'm not even a big comic book fan, but I seriously left the theatre with a ear to ear grin. I thought it was great fun.

Bolded for emphasis, as I'm fairly certain this might be part of the reason why my best friend hated the movie. He's a comic book fan and so am I. We've been in one way or another paying attention to the X-Men for almost two decades now. Some of the things he said they did in the movie would really, really piss me off. And it wasn't like how people got mad that Spider-Man didn't have his web shooters -- what they changed in X-3 were big things, like pretty major stuff.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 01:09:27 pm »
Meh

It was underwhelming to say the least.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 01:34:41 pm »
I saw it with four friends and we both saw it twice.

eh?

Anyway, I want to see this movie.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Twiggs

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 01:52:31 pm »
I want to see it for the sake of seeing it, as I have to watch all the superhero movies. 

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 02:14:44 pm »
I thought it was better then X2 but I hated didn't like X2. It's not the greatest but it's OK for a popcorn flick. If your a super x-man fan you  probally be disappointed. I want to talk more about it but I'll wait for more people to see it before I start throwing up spoiler warnings.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 02:37:15 pm »
I saw it with four friends and we both saw it twice.

eh?

Anyway, I want to see this movie.
shush. I was at the theatre for six hours before posting that it was.. sometime early in the AM. You know what I meant† :P
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 11:01:02 pm by Interitus »
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 02:52:26 pm »
The movie is worth seeing for two reasons;

1st, the action sequences aren't all that bad. Say what you want about the movie, but that was one hell of a finale, and not even the whole part of it, just like the last minute of it Involving person A, and person B. If you catch my extremely vague drift.

2nd, to see who dies, and how. I'll tell you, I even have been reading tons of things, including scripts of the movie, and one death managed to shock the hell out of me (not entirely sure how I missed knowing about it).

Other than that the movie is just as bland as the others. Rogue's supposed to be there to add some sort of emotional depth to the movie, but I just found her annoying. There were other moments in the movie that made me go "cool." when they happened, particularly involving Iceman, and Juggernaut are the ones I can specifically recall, Spike also had a really surpsingly/cool moment at the end. This movie also did well to constantly remind us of the scope of Magnetos powers, not always directly (him using them), but indirectly, as in, the military advisor explaining why they can't send tanks.. or airplanes.. or basically use anything within our extremely powerful modern-day military to stop magneto. Answer - He'd simply crush everything.

I don't recommend rushing to the theater to go see it or anything, but it was decent.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 03:02:49 pm by Feigro »
"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 02:53:15 pm »
I've started to be a comic book fan since I've started playing CoH.

Well, all I've gathered so far is that juggernaut and Colossus look off. Why couldn't they of done Colossus like they did in the last movie? He looked cooler.

Meh, anyway, my family and I are going to see it today. I know some about X-men. I've never read the comics, but I used to watch the TV show on Cartoon network (I herd that was close to the comics), and I've played both X-men ledged games

I guess I'm still a n00b, so maybe I'll still enjoy it  :D

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 02:58:35 pm »
Actually, Juggernaut looked surprsingly well, I was a bit skeptical at first seeing pcitures and trailers, but he actually played well in the movie. I think they undermined his actual intelligence a bit, but they definately didn't deny his strength. He's one of my favorite villians, and I think they did well to demonstrate the whole "Nothing can stop Juggernaut ones he begins moving" feel.

He could have done more... but I find myself saying that with anyone in any comic book movie. Cyclops could have done more in all of the movies, they really undermined the fact that he was the leader of the x-men, as another example. But I guess... they (people making the movie) can only do so much.

/shrug.

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 03:21:20 pm »
Well I've only seen a flash of him form the trailer. So I'm not sure yet, but isnít this what he is supposed to look like:

Maybe he just hasnít gotten his helmet yet, and thatís why he looks odd to me

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 04:06:09 pm »
He has the helmet in the movie, although it isn't the same shape, because people don't really have egg heads like that. The way he's drawn would be a bit hard to duplicate verbatim. I'm personally satisfied with how it came out. Like I said though, it looks best when he's in action, i.e. moving or smashing through a wall. When moving, he definately has the juggernaut feel to him.

I just wish they used him more. To basically sum up the movies biggest problem.. it wasn't long enough, the could have done so much more with just another half hour.† :P

Anyway, I never expect things to look exactly like the comic, or have the same feel. I mean seriously, expecially with the helmet people. Magneto, Juggernaut, their drawn really well, and look really cool. But you just can't duplicate the way the helmets look in real life, hence Magneto's looks kind of dorky. Sure there are different directions they could have taken with it, but I don't think there would have been anything they could do to make it look as cool as it does in a comic strip. Simply because the helmet needs to actually fit a person.

Basically though. The movie isn't great. But it isn't terrible either.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 04:08:50 pm by Feigro »