Author Topic: Harry Turtledove and SciFi book recommendations  (Read 15156 times)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Turtledove and SciFi book recommendations
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 11:21:32 am »
I stayed up to around 4 am last night reading Starship Troopers. What a great book.

I just finished the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, it is a great series of books, though I thought the ending could be better.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Blarg

• Krull Slayer
  • HE'S BACK IN BLACK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007, 02:04:49 pm »
I just finished the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, it is a great series of books, though I thought the ending could be better.

Me also. Great book, Terrible ending.

Better to live like there was a God, then die and find out there isn't than to live like there wasn't a God then die and find out there is.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 02:29:19 pm »
Just got the last Harry Turtledove book in Le Grande Big Series.

Looking forward to reading it.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 08:24:50 pm »
Does H.P. Lovecraft write a lot of alternate history type books? I think I heard someone mention that, and if anyone could recommend a particular alternate history book I'd be grateful. I've already read Kim Stanley Robinson's "Years of Rice and Salt" (Really great, recommend it).

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 08:29:55 pm »
What Mr. Turtledove is missing, in my opinion, is an alternate evolution book in which cephalapods came out of the water as the insects and amphibians did, and evolved intelligence about a million years before primates did.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2007, 02:32:28 pm »
He only does alternate history I'm afraid. Not alternate pre-history. What he in your opinion lacks is irrelevant.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 09:09:29 am »
What Mr. Turtledove is missing, in my opinion, is an alternate evolution book in which cephalapods came out of the water as the insects and amphibians did, and evolved intelligence about a million years before primates did.

Why not write this yourself?

Maybe I'd like J. K. Rowling to write erotic fiction in Hogwarts, but I doubt she'd do it.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 07:17:16 pm »
Just finished Turtledoves Conan of Venarium. Pretty good actually. Takes a look at Conan's early origins.