Author Topic: Harry Turtledove and SciFi book recommendations  (Read 15291 times)

Offline 5ive

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
Harry Turtledove and SciFi book recommendations
« on: May 26, 2006, 07:17:00 am »
Hey Steve and others. I just finished Ender's Game--which I absolutely loved--when Steve recommended In The Balance on on the show. I picked it up and am really enjoying it. I'm really starting to get back into fantastical fiction in a big way, but am wasting a lot of time money on Amazon on books that I don't enjoy. The best Science Fiction and Fantasy is awesome, but it can be hard to find; there is so much pulpy crap out there.

I picked up Starship Troopers (all right, not great.) People seem to love the Wheel of Time seriess, but Eye of the World bored me to tears. Same with Illium. Though I loved the first Dune book, they get pretty tedious later on.

I'm crazy about Neal Stephenson--Cryptnomicon and The Baroque Cycle are in my Top Ten. I really, really enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. I gobbled up Asimov from the age of 14 to 17.

I would love to hear some recommendations. Any other recommendations, Steve. What are people enjoying?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 07:54:07 am by 5ive »

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Turtledove and SciFi book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:20:00 am »
After I finish Dune, I finding Starship Troopers, and then starting that series. I have missed 100 years of books, so I have to catch up.

Edit: What the hell was I saying?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:50:16 pm by Cool AN »

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 07:21:12 am »
I don't mean to be impolite. The subject of this topic is fine, but I think it should be in the Books section. Maybe one of the Mods could swoosh it over there? M'Lady?

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 08:16:08 am »
Has been swooshed... :)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 08:44:58 am »
Has been swooshed... :)
Knew I could depend on you. :)

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 01:06:42 pm »
Maybe time for a little Phillip K Dick? His short stories are wonderful and trippy and often have these really weird and gripping ideas. The novels are not that good. Worthwhile yes, but even though they are short, PKD was never made for writing that long. Essentials are Ubik, Do Androids Dream of Electrical Sheep and A Scanner Darkly(movie soon!)Then of course there's Clarke, in the same vein as Asimov. Not my favourite though.

My recommendation for sci-fi is to try and get collections and anthologies with many different authors. Not only can you just flip past the stories you don't like, since there's another one twenty pages ahead, you also get a great selection of authors to check out.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 08:42:39 am »
Robert Forstchen's Lost regiment series. It starts with Rally Cry. Its quite good if you like alternative history kind of stuff.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 06:34:54 am »
Try some Gregory Benford or Stephen Baxter.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 06:36:43 pm »
My two cents: (Mine aren't really uber-fantasy science fiction, they are more of a genre I call Sci-fi thought experiments)

George Orwell: 1984, a must read.

Ray Bradbury: The Martian Chronicles, kind of out there, but a good read. The Edgar Allen Poe chapter is my favorite. Also Farenheit 451.

Kim Stanley Robinson: Red Mars, Blue Mars, Green Mars. Like a near-future political/scientific thought experiment spread over 2000 pages. Very good read.

Douglas Adams: If you haven't heard about him, you've been living in a cave. ;)

Offline Naronto

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 03:10:29 pm »
Iron Sunrise- Charles Stross

A very interesting book with so many perspectives all inter weaving in a very exciting climax
"The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. "
Larry Hardiman

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 12:08:21 pm »
Jonothan Straneg and Mr. Norrel is fantastic, one of my all-time favourite books.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

c14dude

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 08:18:58 am »
Brian Lumley

if you in to the scary HP mytho's, i highly recommend the Titus Crow series

Offline Naronto

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
Priestess of the White-Trudie Canarvan

Good read
"The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. "
Larry Hardiman

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 03:18:38 pm »
lol he only posted 1 post what if he cant find his topic anymore XD

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Dragon_Reborn

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
    • AxI Studios
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 06:01:17 am »
You need to get Revelation Space and Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds.  IF you like those then read the trilogy of Revelation Space and his novelettes, the "Diamond Dogs and Turquoise Days" if only for Diamond Dog's
Luke Smith of 1up Yours: "The road the Fanatsy land is paved in virgin's blood."

JOIN AXISTUDIO'S FORUMS!