Author Topic: Has anyone here installed Windows on the new Macs yet?  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Helvetica

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • L' OM
    • View Profile
Has anyone here installed Windows on the new Macs yet?
« on: May 23, 2006, 11:54:58 pm »
I was curious on how gaming performance was if you have.

Offline Tonjevic

• Scramble Skipper
  • Victori Jane Surn
    • View Profile
    • It's my muck-around space.
Re: Has anyone here installed Windows on the new Macs yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:09:57 am »
I haven't done it, myself -- mostly because I don't have an intel mac (or a mac in general). I hear, however, that they perform very well indeed.

-Understated elegance.

Offline The Dead Herring

• Dragster Diehard
  • Mmmmm grunge...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 02:50:24 am »
I haven't done it, myself -- mostly because I don't have an intel mac (or a mac in general). I hear, however, that they perform very well indeed.

Its quite interesting how the Mac Book Pro actally outperforms many similarly specced PC laptops in the Windows arena!

Offline Belial0166

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 11:50:10 am »
I havn't done this myseft... yet, but I work professionally with macs ( i recently installed an xserve with 3.5Tb XRaid, and 3 new intel imacs), so i have read quite allot about it. Performance seems to be much as you would expect from a well configured pc of similar spec. however since Bootcamp is still in beta, it is unsupported by every software provider including microsoft. i would recommend waiting until the end of the year when apple release MacOsX Leopard, which will include the full build of bootcamp.

It is also worth noting that apple has made no indication yet that future builds of boot camp will be able to run vista, it is an XP only dualboot at the moment.

Its quite interesting how the Mac Book Pro actally outperforms many similarly specced PC laptops in the Windows arena!

unfortunately many mac book pro owners have reported issues with poor build quality, including a variety of loud and annoying noises caused by vibrations in the fans, and also (more worryingly) overheating problems!

Offline psychodrive

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 06:34:37 am »
I really wish I kept more links around my hard disk so that I could provide proper sources for what I'm about to say. Try typing in "xp bootcamp game benchmark" into Google for starters.

I know ArsTechnica recently did a Macbook pro review, but I don't think that they benchmarked bootcamp, or gaming under bootcamp for that matter.

Okay, the pixies just informed me ArsTechnica ran a benchmark of Quake 4 using the Universal binary under OSX versus the win32 native version under XP using BootCamp, and XP outperformed OSX. You can find the benchmark here: http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/5/16/3997

Of course, the performance compared to an Intel PC, I'm not sure. In order to get the most out of it you'll have to dish out some fair $$$ to get the Mac with the decent video card anyway.
Yes, I play games. Really.