Author Topic: Interstellar War  (Read 10770 times)

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
Interstellar War
« on: May 21, 2006, 08:34:41 pm »
I've seen lots of ideas for using terraforming tools and deadly creatures as weapons, but no one seems to have talked about fighting a conventional mechanized war, so here is how I would approach a war in the space stage:

1. Make landings of combat vehicles on the enemy planet, and fight more-or-less like it was the civ stage. The vehicles would go about doing the "grunt work" of the battle while I keep the UFO flying low just behind them to provide supporting fire. The plan is to keep the enemy occupied with the nearby vehicles, while my UFO stays untouched, blasting away anything that's too much for the vehicles. (With the UFO as my "avatar" I get to be part of the action, a general on board his command ship, and what could be cooler than that?)

2. Better yet, if we're allowed to drop a city on a hostile planet, go to the far side of the planet, and drop a heavily industrialized city to crank out an army of vehicles to then storm the enemy's cities. Then fight just like the first strategy, but with a larger force. (Loosely inspired by typical RTS play.)

These conventional millitary strategies are less costly than using terraforming as a weapon, more reliable than breeding primitive battle-creatures, and leave virtually no damage to the planet's environment for colonization after victory.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Interstellar War
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 08:57:31 pm »
But meteors are fun...

I think you're right though, unless destructive weapons/terraforming tools have very little cost I would imagine your method is fairly effective.

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 09:08:06 pm »
I think that that is right on point. It could involve battles wiht orbital defenses, bombing runs by air vehicles and posibles amphibious landings.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 09:12:14 pm »
I"m very sad to say (very sad indeed) that I don't think any of this will be necessary...

It seems that our UFO is the only space vehicle we have, and the only one needed to take a planet.

I myself would prefer as you said, orbiting space weapons, landing troops and vehicles on the surface...  imagine Starcraft, but we have to find a landing zone first.

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:22:24 pm »
Well no troops because those have been denied outside of tribal...
but since you can abduct creatures why not abduct some vehicless and drop them off on a planet to wreak havoc? It is perfectly feasible.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Noxx

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • "Dave...You didn't wash your hands, dave"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 09:29:43 pm »
So the "War of the Worlds" type of invasion is out? :(

I wanted to land tripods and blast everything into dust.

Also, the troops are out for sure?, I've heard nothing on them.

Edit: And what about war in space between ships?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 09:31:24 pm by Noxx »

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • web - music - art :: kxmode
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 09:35:01 pm »
Two words: Genesis Effect. *evil grin*

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 09:36:02 pm »
but since you can abduct creatures why not abduct some vehicless and drop them off on a planet to wreak havoc? It is perfectly feasible.
That's the idea. ;)

It seems that our UFO is the only space vehicle we have, and the only one needed to take a planet.
Yes, but perhaps tactical use of planetary vehicles to support the UFO could get the job done faster, and take hits instead of the UFO. If it turns out the UFO tends to get banged up in the game, this strategy is going to start making more sense.

I myself would prefer as you said, orbiting space weapons, landing troops and vehicles on the surface... imagine Starcraft, but we have to find a landing zone first.
I hope they implement that... maybe in the expansion *drool*

Offline Noxx

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 09:37:04 pm »
Two words: Genesis Effect. *evil grin*

So you want to make a liveable planet more.....liveable?

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 09:42:51 pm »
SPOCK   It literally is Genesis.
KIRK   The power of creation -
BONES   But dear Lord, do you think we're intelligent enough to - Suppose, what if this thing were used where life already exists?
SPOCK   It would destroy such life in favor of it's new matrix -
BONES   It's new - Do you any idea what you're saying?
SPOCK   I was not attempting to evaluate its moral implications, Doctor. As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy than to create -
BONES   Not anymore! Now we can do both at the same time! According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out: here comes Genesis; we'll do it for you in six minutes -

Offline Noxx

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 09:49:00 pm »
BONES   But dear Lord, do you think we're intelligent enough to - Suppose, what if this thing were used where life already exists?
SPOCK   I was not attempting to evaluate its moral implications, Doctor. As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy than to create -
BONES   Not anymore!  Now we can do both at the same time!  According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out:  here comes Genesis; we'll do it for you in six minutes -

I didn't know it could destroy too. (I never saw that episode, I should check it out)

Offline radeon_chao

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 09:53:21 pm »
Can you control your vehicles like in 3rd person?  Like with your creature.

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 09:53:55 pm »
BONES   Not anymore! Now we can do both at the same time! According to myth, the earth was created in six days. Now watch out: here comes Genesis; we'll do it for you in six minutes -

I didn't know it could destroy too. (I never saw that episode, I should check it out)

I don't think he meant it could destroy, I think that what he said was that if you use the Genesis device, it would create a new atmosphere that would not be suitable for the creatures that are already in the planet.

Offline JakeCourtney

• Vanguard Venturer
  • The Godfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 09:56:35 pm »
Yes, I too would of liked giant space battles.

Offline Toshipaine

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 09:59:27 pm »
I don't think he meant it could destroy, I think that what he said was that if you use the Genesis device, it would create a new atmosphere that would not be suitable for the creatures that are already in the planet.

Exactly. Basically you kill all life already on a planet to make room for your lifeforms.