Author Topic: "I saw it first" -- how will downloading from the main database work exactly?  (Read 11371 times)

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
You guys are freaking idiots. This game is not an MMO dummies!

You make a creature/plant/building/planet and it is stored in a FILE and uploaded to the INTERNET and you never touch it again.

If people download it, it is added to THEIR game and does NOT reflect on you at all. If you destroy your planet after it was uploaded, hundreds of people will still have it stored on their computer.

Think about it like this. If you buy a gameboy, and Nintendo goes out of business, does the gameboy disappear? No!

Unless some sort of multiplayer mode is implemented there won't be any pvp interaction.

no need to get so upset, I think what most people are talking about is the question of whether or not updated versions of your planet are constantly uploaded to the net, then redownloaded by others so that they have the most current version OR if it just downloads it ONCE and never again(assuming planets are downloadable) we know its not a MMO, it has been said MANY MANY times, on a side note, we also know its NOT an RTS  :D

Offline Dust

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Bugs from Starship Troopers... LONG LIVE THE HIVE!
    • View Profile
It tracks what exists and if you destroy it, its marked as destroyed for you.
Evolution?
Cross-breed?
Research?
Combat Tournaments?
Heck yea, Spore is the best game ever!

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
personally I don't think you download planets, although I may be/probably am wrong.
It tracks what exists and if you destroy it, its marked as destroyed for you.
thats also what I think, you download a planet/creautre/building once and then you mess around with it in your game, and will not be affected by what anyone else does to it in their game, so regardless of whther the guy down the street destroys planetA, it is never uploaded again so it will never overwrite your version

Offline Dreyfuss

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • The Nezumi
I'm thinking more along the lines of the game tracks what systems you've seen and what you've done to them, so if you found a system created by another player, it'd be in the state it was in the last time you downloaded it.  If you did nothing at all the game makes no notes on how you acted toward that system, and continues updating it normally.  The moment you have any interaction with the system, the game records that action, marks such-and-such system as being manipulated and doesn't upload new versions anymore, and then turns the system over to the computer, applying the AI that came with the system the last time it was updated and continuing from there.  In other words, as long as you don't mess with a paticular system, it will keep on updating as the player who owns it advances, but if you do anything to it (such as messing with the natives' genes, blowing up planets, etc.) the game "turns on" the AI that player molded by his playing style and cuts off any further updates, making the creatures on the system continue to behave normally, but still be affected by your actions, instead of suddenly reverting to their old form during the next update.

I think there should also be an option to "create new galaxy" where the game adds another galaxy with the newest versions of all the planets you blew up so you can have fun with those creatures again.

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
You guys are freaking idiots.  This game is not an MMO dummies!

You make a creature/plant/building/planet and it is stored in a FILE and uploaded to the INTERNET and you never touch it again.

If people download it, it is added to THEIR game and does NOT reflect on you at all.  If you destroy your planet after it was uploaded, hundreds of people will still have it stored on their computer.

Think about it like this.  If you buy a gameboy, and Nintendo goes out of business, does the gameboy disappear?  No!

Unless some sort of multiplayer mode is implemented there won't be any pvp interaction.

That's a bit harsh. We still have 18 months of these discussions to look forward to, you will have to be careful that you don't do yourself an injury if anymore silly questions appear  ;)

I can see where the OP is coming from but nowhere has it been said that you can upload planets, only stuff you create in the editor which is creatures, buildings and vehicles so the question is mute however over the next few weeks we will get a lot more info from Steve which will help us hopefully.

I can't see planets being things you upload / download as it would be harder to avoid instances where 2 planets exist in the same space. What I mean is with the stuff we know you can download it appears in some sort of storage area (a guess) and you choose where to plonk it. I guess the same could be done for planets but I can't see that being the case though we are all guessing here so you never know.

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
You guys are freaking idiots.  This game is not an MMO dummies!

Who said it was?

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
yeah solidmetal u tell them!! ;D

Offline Dust

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Bugs from Starship Troopers... LONG LIVE THE HIVE!
    • View Profile
there was no need for that
Evolution?
Cross-breed?
Research?
Combat Tournaments?
Heck yea, Spore is the best game ever!

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
i know im just bored and spore depressed

Offline Sporeaholicomg99

• Galaxian Guru
  • u laf cos i different. i laf @ u cos u all da same
    • View Profile
In every case my friend the player will find the planet as it was downloaded from the database unless of course he has already tampered with it. in which case he will find it as he left it.

going back to this whole MMO thing it is a completely no multiplayer game. anyone who understands the concept of parallel universe knows what i mean your universe cannot be changed by anyone but yourself there is no intervention by any other players. the computer simply downloads the species/buildings/vehicles/planets it needs to complete the ecosystem

And whats there is yours to manipulate as you wish

EDIT: sorry for the poor grammar it should read 'it is a completely non - multiplayer game just in case low lifes resort insulting based on my use of basic grammar just a bit of a rant there lol
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 02:13:54 pm by Sporeaholicomg99 »

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote my last post.  Just ignore it...

You fools!  ;D

Offline ripperrim

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
i also thought it would just download creature types which really makes alot more sense than the whole planet.

Offline Spinal232

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • For LUEshi!
    • View Profile
thats what i was thinking as well
…./|,-‘`ŻŻ`\(o)_\,----,,,_…………
…( `\(o),,_/` Ż : o : : :0 `-, ………

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Well, from what I've heard and read, you do download all the other creatures that are uploaded (maybe not all, but enough) so that they can populate any already generated worlds.
But when Will went to another solar system in the video, he said something like "this is where you're seeing worlds created by other players". That planet was where that player's creation was born.
So I guess when you visit certain other zones, hell maybe all of the others zones, you'll run into other player-made civilizations and "their" planets.

I don't know. I'm having a real brain freeze for Spore today. I think I told so many people about it, the knowledge took a break and went on vacation.  ???
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
I think it only does the whole planet if the sentience on it. Otherwise it's either barren or just randomly selected cretures (that form a balanced ecosystem) from various players.