Author Topic: "I saw it first" -- how will downloading from the main database work exactly?  (Read 11364 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
Just a few things of confusion here on what version of the multiuniverse you get.

We know for a fact that what you upload never changes based on what others do to it. So if you upload your planet with your loveingly crafted race on it, and somebody else vaproizes it, your race will unharmed in your version of the world. But what about for a 3rd person.

Let us say there are 3 players.

Player 1 creates and uploads planet "A" to the universal database.
Player 2 and 3 download the database and get planet "A" added to their universes.
Player 2 finds planet "A" with his UFO and blows it up, player 3 doesn't search that part of the universe that day.

A day passes and the database uploads/downloads itself with everybody.
Player 3 finally finds the star system that contains planet "A" When his UFO arrives, will he find planet "A" or space dust?

Next scenerio:

Player 1 creates Planet "B"
Player 2 downloads the universal database, adding Planet "B" to their world.
Player 1 later decides that planet "B" was a mistake and vaporizes their own world, then uploads the data to the server.

When player 2 visits player 1's star system, will they find planet "B" or stardust?

Last question
Player 1 creates planet "C"
Player 2 downloads the database. He finds planet "C" and vaporizes it.
Player 1 (who's planet "C" is still intact) playes his game awhile, adds some new species and civlizations to the planet, and re-uploads it to the universal server.
Player 2 downloads the universal server's data again to update his world. He visits the star system of player 1 again.

Will he find the space dust he left behind, or an un-blown-up and updated planet "C"?

I don't thinky anybody really knows these answers, but I think its a good topic of discussion. Steve, do you have any information you could share on this subject?

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Fireblade

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
My understanding is:

Scenario A:

Player 3 finds the species (is sharing planets confirmed?) just fine, doing its thing. They each have their own copy of the species, so what happens on player 2's computer doesn't effect player 3's.

Scenario B:

Player 2 should find species/planet B just fine, unless for some reason it was downloaded again by player 2.

Scenario C:

I would hope the game tracks these things! Player 2 should find a nice asteroid belt, instead of a whole new planet.

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
Well, as far as I know, there is no manual uploading. It's all automatic. Also, the creatures get stored in a creature database apart from the planet database.

Realize that the game has to download creatures to inhabit YOUR planet. That means creatures from someone else's planet must be taken and put on yours. Therefore, in scenario C the creatures would be uploaded and could potentially be downloaded to populate a random planet.

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
If creature (and planets?) are shared, I don't think it would affect the local copy. Suppose someone had a planet with a 9 billion year old start (it's about to go nova in a billion years). Player A downloads it, and plays on it. It wouldn't be too much fun if the origanal planet was pulled into a black hole, or sent flying into another star when player A loads thier game up.

It'll probably be like this:

- Player A creates a planet, a nice desert world with huge cliffs.
- The planet is uploaded into the planet database. (Perhaps as an early stage planet).

Think about this side sceanrio now:

- It becomes a wildly popular planet, so popular in fact, that maybe 30,000 players use it. The client side has their planet in various stages from multi-celluar to space stage. One planet happens to be too close to a star that goes NOVA. If this planet were to "update" back into the database, then there'd be 30,000 unhappy players.

What probably would happen is this:

- 30,000 players download the planet, and one person destroys it.
- 29,999 players still get to enjoy that planet.

It would probably be the same as species, and the database schema might look something like this:

[ MASTER PLAYER CREATION TABLE ]

Player_ID   Planet_ID  Species_ID

Player_ID - The player who created the content.
Planet_ID - The ID of the planet this player created.
Species_ID - The ID of the species this player created.

[ TABLE FOR PLANET ID 42093 ] (I think it might be better to create a new table for each planet just so the server doesn't have to sort through millions of records every hour.) Not sure how they'll do this though...

Player_ID - Foreign key for the user database. This let's the player know who used their planet.
Planet_Stage - What stage of development the planet is in.
Planet_Status - Alive/Dead (with the cause - star went nova, destroyed by a UFO, black hole, etc.)
Num_Creatures - The number of creatures on the planet

The player could see something like this:

23423   Tribal   Alive         50
10092   UFO   Alive         13
10849   Animal   Alive         55
31342   Cell   Alive         3
00182   N/A   Dead (Pulverized)   -

They'd see that one planet didn't make it, but it doesn't affect the origanal planet. Think about it, if late into the lifecycle of the game (7 years down the road let's say), someone could come along, and blow up every single planet in the game (maybe in the millions - you never know). Or, someone has hundreds of popular planets in their universe, and when their universe dies, all those planets would die. Or how about this - your species might thrive on your planet, but die on another. If it dies there, everyone dies. That's not fun. It's a gamebreaker, since it makes other players not want to play (or even download planets/species).

I think the database is going to serve as a storage database, not as full fledged game data that updates everyone's computer to remove any destroyed planets. In other words, client side, you might still have a planet or species that's been destroyed elsewhere.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 07:39:18 pm by vbGamer »

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
If that is the case, then does that mean you will never EVER encounter a planet that has been vaporized...unless of course you yourself vaporized it? (and even then, you'll be the only one to see that planet as vaporized?)

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Dust

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Bugs from Starship Troopers... LONG LIVE THE HIVE!
    • View Profile
Its what you see and have tracked as destroyed and not destroyed, its that simple.
Evolution?
Cross-breed?
Research?
Combat Tournaments?
Heck yea, Spore is the best game ever!

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
brings up an interesting point, becaus eif you remeber, in the GDC presentation Will finds a Solar system with only one planet and says something like "Well there must have been an accident" meaning either
A. he previously blew the planet up
B. planets CAN undergo natural planet killing catastrophies
C. AI UFO's do exist(or at least AI controlled superweapons)
 ???

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
^ Or the game downloaded a solar system that contained an exploded planet that was destroyed by another player.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
Or maybe the Amish got there first. Hmmmmm ???

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
^ Or the game downloaded a solar system that contained an exploded planet that was destroyed by another player.

hmmm will the game really download entire star systems? I only though it would download player created creatures/buildings etc.

Offline Dust

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Where did you see that Areku???
Evolution?
Cross-breed?
Research?
Combat Tournaments?

Offline Dust

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
This isn't something to worry about as the Devs will know how it works, as long as it works i'm okay with it.
Evolution?
Cross-breed?
Research?
Combat Tournaments?

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
hmmm will the game really download entire star systems? I only though it would download player created creatures/buildings etc.

I feel like I heard that somewhere, although I might be wrong.

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Where did you see that Areku???

see what? I was just replying to Bios Revision's post, I was just stating that I didn't think the game would download entire solar systems

This isn't something to worry about as the Devs will know how it works, as long as it works i'm okay with it.

exactly

I feel like I heard that somewhere, although I might be wrong.

that would be cool, although in a finite universe, I don't see how continuously downloading star sytems would work, I always assumed you had a game with all planets already defined, and the game populated them with creatures/building made by other players

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
You guys are freaking idiots.  This game is not an MMO dummies!

You make a creature/plant/building/planet and it is stored in a FILE and uploaded to the INTERNET and you never touch it again.

If people download it, it is added to THEIR game and does NOT reflect on you at all.  If you destroy your planet after it was uploaded, hundreds of people will still have it stored on their computer.

Think about it like this.  If you buy a gameboy, and Nintendo goes out of business, does the gameboy disappear?  No!

Unless some sort of multiplayer mode is implemented there won't be any pvp interaction.