Author Topic: Your favourite graphic novels/picture books  (Read 10248 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Your favourite graphic novels/picture books
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 04:30:12 pm »
Go Dog Go, and the Spot the Dog books.

I... don't read many graphic novels.
I dont blame you. Anything which calls itself a 'graphic nove'l is usually elitist nerdy crap.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 11:18:35 pm »
I think I learned to read off of Asterixes and Tintins.  My Fiance is using the french Asterixes to teach her french.  They are a huge part of my childhood.  Glad to see they are not forgotten. -leeman

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 01:38:19 am »
I don't have that many graphic novels. My favorite would have to be In the Shadow of No Towers. It's by Art Spiegelman, so anyone who likes Maus might be familiar with it.  It's about his experiences living in New York on 9/11 and the changes he saw in himself, his family and his neighbourhood. I think it's a very unique perspective.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 03:24:00 am »
I dont blame you. Anything which calls itself a 'graphic nove'l is usually elitist nerdy crap.

Man am I glad you said that.

I hate the term Graphic Novels.They're comics, and if you don't like admitting that you read comics, then don't justinvent another name to try and pretend it's something it's not.

I love comics.

One of the great things about living in France is how comics are mainstream culture, and everyone reads them, it's not just fanboys.Consequently there isn't the dominance of superhero comice like we get in the USA and the UK.
I love superhero books, but it's good to see other genres doing so well.

Apart from my snitty attitude to the term graphic novels, I have to say that there are some great titles here, but my heart really warmed to see that Carl Barks got a mention.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 01:27:05 pm »
lol, your right Cruithne. Calling a comic a graphic novel is like calling a doll an action figure   :P

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 03:28:30 pm »
lol, your right Cruithne. Calling a comic a graphic novel is like calling a doll an action figure   :P
Or worse, a 'collectable miniature'.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

werechicken

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 06:42:24 pm »
Or worse, a 'collectable miniature'.
*Shudders* Anway has anyone here read Squees Big Giant Book Of Unspeakable Horrors?
If not here are lins to two pags (I can't post them as the mods would probably take them down for being too scary and evil
http://cheesebandits.net/comic/Simontest/Colouring/Images/TopShelf/Squee-Lesson_01_JVasquez.jpg
http://cheesebandits.net/comic/Simontest/Colouring/Images/TopShelf/Squee-Lesson_02_JVasquez.jpg

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 01:13:41 pm »
I think its amazing how good a job they do of translating Asterix into english. The jokes are actually almost totally different to the french ones, but theyre funny and they always fit the situation. You cant not like something as daft as that.

That's cool. The jokes are very well translated into Swedish as well. Fitting, witty and interpreted with care. I'm surprised, but I suppose it's because those who translate them realize that comics isn't just a kiddie thing. On a side note, the movie La Heine features a character whose nickname is Asterix. The subtitles says Snoopy. America(n public)... can't appreciate good 'peen comics.

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 03:02:04 pm »
Jeff Smith's "Bone" books are easily my favorite graphics novels.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 01:34:12 pm »
the real problem is that there Is a different between Comics and graphic novels or trade paperbacks.  Comics in America conjur up the image of thin, flimsy books that are telling a story in a serial manner whereas most graphic novels have a complete story within them and no ads for atari games.  I do agree that people say graphic novel to cover up the fact that they read comics but others use it because it differentiates the physical book they are reading and in my case, saying trade paperback doesn't mean anything as I grew up hearing the term Graphic Novel and I like the sound of it.  Do people actually call comic books (Spiderman Issue 427 with ads for fruit hostess pies and all that) graphic novels?  That sounds a little silly to me.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 06:17:53 pm »
Transmetropolitan.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 10:58:30 am »
the real problem is that there Is a different between Comics and graphic novels or trade paperbacks.  Comics in America conjur up the image of thin, flimsy books that are telling a story in a serial manner whereas most graphic novels have a complete story within them and no ads for atari games.  I do agree that people say graphic novel to cover up the fact that they read comics but others use it because it differentiates the physical book they are reading and in my case, saying trade paperback doesn't mean anything as I grew up hearing the term Graphic Novel and I like the sound of it.  Do people actually call comic books (Spiderman Issue 427 with ads for fruit hostess pies and all that) graphic novels?  That sounds a little silly to me.

The comic store I helped found used the terms 'comic,' 'graphic novel,' and 'trade' for technical reasons unrelated to a desire to avoid saying you're reading comics -- and our way of using the terms caught on with our customers.

A comic is an individual issue of a series or miniseries -- which is also known as a 'pamphlet' in industry terms. [Spider-Man #378 is a comic.]

A graphic novel is a self-contained work that requires no other purchases to complete the story. [Watchmen and V for Vendetta are graphic novels.]

A trade is a volume that contains numerous comics into one book but doesn't complete the story, requiring the further purchase of other material. [Ultimate X-Men Volume 4 is a trade.]

There are some complexities when you have books like Maus that are published in a single volume as well as two smaller ones. In the first case, it would be called the Maus graphic novel; in the other, Maus's first and second trades.

Overall, I think it works fairly well and everyone knew what we meant when we said the terms.

Offline acidic dot

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 09:06:07 pm »
I read a fair amount of manga.

Cromartie High School is hilarious.  I have the first 3 volumes of Genshiken just sitting here on my desk, and I still haven't read them.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 02:50:54 am »
Asterix.

I loved those. Always funny.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 08:41:20 am »
I read a fair amount of manga.

Cromartie High School is hilarious.  I have the first 3 volumes of Genshiken just sitting here on my desk, and I still haven't read them.

Genshiken is quite good and very easy to relate to if you have any connection to the anime / manga subculture. Lately, the manga that are the most impressive to me are Monster and Death Note. Those two are outstanding; I could not recommend them enough, but they are a completely different order from the ones you've listed so you might not enjoy them as handedly.