Author Topic: just wondering  (Read 3115 times)

Offline verm_pat

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
just wondering
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:50:23 am »
i was wondering, if you download an creature from another player, will it be exactly the same as the original? since its al procedurally generated, doesn't that mean that the creature can be quite different? or am i just completely wrong here?

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
Re: just wondering
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 01:10:40 am »
It should be exactly the same :)  It will even try to mimic the person who created it from what we've heard
Book, book, book

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 07:50:27 am »
It's like DNA: the Spore database contains DNA-like files, and when you download one of those files, your computer 'decodes' that file into the creature. So if everything goes right, there shouldn't be any differences, just like every human looks basically the same :)

Offline verm_pat

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 08:30:18 am »
lol.. ok that would be the way i like it :P

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:44:50 am »
Basically, their method of decoding and algorithmically producing the creature from the creature file should be the same as yours. Therefore, given the same input the output will also be the same.

Offline Fatalfist

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 05:27:34 am »
i wonder how the creature database will be kept if itll just be in a seperate folder. id like to try removing it then shuting off the internet and starting a game id be the only species in the universe, almost pointless but would be fun to be able to directly control what and how many creature you let into your game. low amount and they would probly only be on your home planet leting you conquer the universe unchalleged

Offline striker121

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 05:35:07 am »
i wonder how the creature database will be kept if itll just be in a seperate folder. id like to try removing it then shuting off the internet and starting a game id be the only species in the universe, almost pointless but would be fun to be able to directly control what and how many creature you let into your game. low amount and they would probly only be on your home planet leting you conquer the universe unchalleged

The game can still create it's own creatures automaticlly to no real chance of that.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 05:37:18 am »
No it can't.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 05:55:14 am »
What actually happens is that the game comes pre-stocked with tens of thousands of creatures. The game can't make its own.

Offline verm_pat

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 08:38:19 am »
i agree, but i think there will be some sort of fail safe to prevent such a thing from happening.

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 03:24:39 pm »
i agree, but i think there will be some sort of fail safe to prevent such a thing from happening.

like what

i cant think of what else they could do
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline dafool

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 03:29:16 pm »
Error, file missing.
Just have the game check to see if the file is there when starting the game. If it isn't there then dont run the game. As for deleting all the creatures out i dont know how they could stop that. Probably in a similar way.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 04:08:14 pm »
Creatures you downloaded yourself would have to be placed in a certain folder, but wont all necessarily be used.
When a creature is used, its data could be integrated with the profile of the user who is playing, essentially 'merged' with the save-data of the current game. Users, families, households, they were all broken down into seperate folders in the Sims 2, the game would simply take a copy of said creatures data/file and throw it somewhere in your profile/game data, so that even if you completely delete the "downloaded content" folder for whatever reason you would feel inclined, the files your game is actually using, will be stored in your profile/personal game data.

Now, more to the point, why would a person feel inclined to delete creature-data from the game folders, when they are going to be so small in size? If you buy Spore, wouldnt you rather experiment IN game rather than experiment with what you can delete from the spore game directory to see what it messes up in-game (assuming the game even starts up once you do that)? If you want to mod, they'll probably have some out-of-game editors for you to toy with too, somewhere along the line.