Author Topic: More advanced editor ideas (inclueds a game)  (Read 3239 times)

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
More advanced editor ideas (inclueds a game)
« on: June 02, 2006, 12:44:31 pm »
OK, a few of you may have seen theese I did a while back:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=4672.0
(motion tweening, sound layering, alliance creator)

And I recently had another idea, although this time it's slightly more complex.

Now, we know there will be meta games in spore, and I like nothing better with any game I own than to make a map for it, putting in several triggers and making my own game using the original game as an engine of sorts.

Now, this is VERY far fetched, and probably won't happen, but it would be an amasing addition for the game by meens of expansion or seperated editor (like the ones you can download for sims to make pictures and the like)

So lets basicly call this a meta-game creator.

You would have a world designer, triggers, creature list, objects, things like that in menus, and basicly a very large, blank space.

You would start with a star, possibly able to add more but not as big, and start by creating a small solar system.

By going onto one of the planets, you would be able to place decorations such as blown-up space-ships, giant skelitons, stuff like that.
You could then put in pick-up-able objects and give them code-names, or place creatures in cirtain places.

You would have a trigger editor - the backbone of this editor. With this you can do almost anything; focus the player's view, change terrain on planets, change the weather, spawn new enimies and objects and veicals, add objectives, you name it, you can do it.
You could put positions in the game, just like little markers that if the player goes past it triggers something to happen. You could also have triggers to fire when you enter the solar system or the planet with the UFO.
Also, I don't see why you couldn't have a trigger that allows you to go into 3rd person using your own creature or veichal (on foot/wheels sections, anyone?) or have effects like in AOE.

The editor itself would probably be complex and need some getting used to, but theres no reason why it couldn't be about as easy to use as the game itself.

Now what you would do with this is make a little story based around a solar system, save it and export it. Once exported, you could load it on web-sites for download or just let it be downloaded into peoples games automaticly.

Obviously, they wouldn't fill up peoples games, only be dotted around the galaxy, unless of cource the player wanted them to fill the game up.

Now this would probably be a bit of a pain to implement but it would add way more creation on the players part.
You wouldn't even have to nesserserily export it, you could play it yourself, and it could even become an advanced movie-maker of sorts.

Now alot of this would probably work with the ones I mentioned before, especially the animator for cut-sceenes. You could put special position for the NPC's to go to and have the game tween inbetween the positions.

NOW, although this is very unlikly it dosn't meen we can't enjoy the idea, so post here what type of story you would make if you were given this editor!

I'l post mine later, if you have questions just ask...

Offline Fatalfist

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: More advanced editor ideas (inclueds a game)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 01:00:12 pm »
the way i see the game is that it is this tool your talking about exept for maybe like the triggers ..but from what i see the game is bilt around being able to make what ever you want and how with out needing seperate game tools that arnt in the game itself

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 02:24:36 pm »
the way i see the game is that it is this tool your talking about exept for maybe like the triggers ..but from what i see the game is bilt around being able to make what ever you want and how with out needing seperate game tools that arnt in the game itself

No, this tool would be more in-depth, you actually place everything exactly where you want - the actual game is left to chance.
This would be for people who actually want to make their own games but don't have the skills to make the source code and everything needed.

Offline Fatalfist

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 02:40:29 pm »
ah so in essence a sandbox of a sandbox :p it probly wouldnt be so hard to do the warcraft3 editor may be a rough example of the style but with spores ability to create every creature/building/planet/etc from scratch.
 it would lead to very interesting games that will would be very happy to see being made as it seems to impres him more what ppl do in his games then actualy making it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 09:40:36 pm by Fatalfist »

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 02:49:37 pm »
That would be pretty cool. So would it be kind of like make your own missions/maps? Like C&C Worldbuilder or Warcraft 3 map builder? I agree, it would be a tad complex, but since mapmakers already come with a lot of games, I assume they are fairly easy to add. They can be ignored, of course. The only trouble I see is how to control when a player gains access to a custom map. In normal games, you enter them through choice. So, these types of things would be limited to one solar system. It would increase the dreaded file size, but there could be an on/off function. Also, it could dramatically increase the story-making capability. Truth be told, if this was in an expansion, I'd buy it, and I'm not one for expansions.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 03:02:12 pm »
yes, sandbox of a sandbox - un bound by many of the constraints of spore.
Will would probably love to see what people made.

As for gaining access, there would be a lot of controll, I imagine:

You choose wether to download them or not, as well as the ammount included automaticly (like % of the galaxy - so, you could set, say, 5% of all solar systems in the galaxy to be meta games)
When you actually go to the solar system you would usually have some way of knowing there was a game there, and when you start there would normaly be a 'do you accept this mission?' type thing.
Then if you felt like it, you could go to someone elses website and download the missions that theyve made and play them in spore (they would be highlighted in the spore wiki or somet)

As for what you could make with it, it'd add a whole new level of possibility to the game.

Anyways, I might aswell start with what I think I would do in the game, as an example:

you enter the solar system and get a message from a race saying that they need help, accept or decline.
If you accept, you see a movie of your 'ship flying down to the surface of the planet, dropping the tracto beam and planting one of your creatures on the planet (the creature may be wearing a suit or not depending on what the player had made)

You then go into 3rd person controll and start exploring, there is a large derilict ship ahead.

When you get close enough, a swarm of small flying creatures zoom from the ship towards you and start attacking.

Once you've killed them all, another message comes through saying 'thankyou for getting rid of the bugs, please can you aid us with our ship?'
accept/decline

If you accept, another message says 'thankyou for the parts, fools' and the ship starts to lift off the ground, several small flying craft fly out of it.
Your ship drops a flying craft for you to use and several others come from your ship. You then basicly have to fight the other flyers. Once thats done, your mother ship shoots a beam at the other mother-ship and destroys it.

This drops some powerups or something, and then you are free to leave.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 02:15:18 am »
But stories like that require your creature to be a fighter. If your creature happens to be a peaceful small herbivore, it couldn't kill those bugs by itself, so you couldn't do that story.
By the way, what would happen if those bugs, or those other flyers kill you? Mission failed; try again? Or would it have larger consequences?

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 04:12:59 am »
But stories like that require your creature to be a fighter. If your creature happens to be a peaceful small herbivore, it couldn't kill those bugs by itself, so you couldn't do that story.
By the way, what would happen if those bugs, or those other flyers kill you? Mission failed; try again? Or would it have larger consequences?

Prolly just mission failed, but you would have to start from an earlier save point to re-try it. Your playing creatures could be killed, but the UFO you use could only go down to so much health before it escapes, so you won't loose your game.

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 06:51:12 am »
I'm prolly wrong, but it looks to me as if you'd rather play an action/ shoot em up type game instead of a sim game. Remember, spore is a simulation and creativity game. Making linear missions would just take away from that as everyone would be devoting themselves to that instead of the endless gameplay that is SPORE. Am I wrong?
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 06:58:13 am »
Actually, I prefer sim games to action, but I also prefer creating games to either of them, and I find action games are just easier to make than sim games. Heck, any type of game is easier to make than a good sim game. Besides, if you were making a game in a sim game, you couldn't really make a sim game, could you?

As for liniar missions, their meta games - theres allready stuff like it in spore, and theese wouldn't usually be very long due to how they would be set up. Once you've gotten into the UFO stage and actually started exploring space rather than just tera-forming, there isn't much majour creation to do.

I think it'd be awesome to create your creature, go exploring and find a tonne of stuff to do, stories everywhere - they couldn't be made in much depth anyway, so the player would still be able to create their own story based around what they see for the most part.

Remember, spore is a simulation and creativity game, what could be more creative than making your own mini-game?

Offline Myshuno

• Zork Emperor
  • WAHOOOO!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 07:26:04 pm »
Where is the game that this included?
Right on

Offline Sporific

• Battlezone Captain
  • Call me Jake. Jake Bond.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 10:27:58 pm »
Where is the game that this included?

Ditto.
LOL SPORE ON MAC.
"The surest sign that there's intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't visited us."
Quote from: lolasan
Procedurally Generate That!

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 02:05:35 pm »
someone will probably make a mod of this. ::)
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.