Author Topic: a question that must be asked  (Read 7221 times)

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
a question that must be asked
« on: May 17, 2006, 07:31:40 pm »
Remember that in the origanal GDC 05 video they show your creacher in the water and they said that you can bring a species to sentence and everything wile still having a animal live exclusively in the water? Now what I have noticed is that they have said absolutely nothing about this during e3 and no one that I recall have asked the question of creachers in watter, also it was not showed during any of the videos. Could it be that they took this part out of the game? or is it that they just were not don with that part and seance no one asked they did not tell anyone. Anyway does anyone have an answer regarding this? anyway it gets you thinking.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 07:33:42 pm by 7LES »

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
Re: a question that must be asked
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 07:37:16 pm »
It is strange that Will's creatures all began on land instead of water, but that could have been only because of the presentation. But I don't think anyone actually knows anything about it.

Offline QReaper

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Knowledge is a weapon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 07:56:46 pm »
Probably presentation purposes. But, I do recall that the willosaur was in the water, and that he walked out to get to land. But, let us remember that that demo started at creature phase, not tide pool. So it would be on land if he had legs on it.

Offline liveoctopus

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 07:58:48 pm »
We don't really know where his creatures began, since he was either loading savestates or creating creatures from scratch with infinite DNA points available (and showing procedural walking is more interesting than procedural swimming, since it's probably much harder). Presumably, if you transition from microbe to creature in game, you still start in the ocean. It is odd that we saw no ocean at E3, though. But there's really no reason the ocean environment wouldn't still be in the game, wouldn't make sense.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:01:09 pm »
i think that they wouldn't take out something as big as water creatures, i think it would be essential to the game. At e3, there was more focus and emphasis on the creature editor and stages and also the space stages, and u didnt hear much about the other stages. In the coming months, i hope they put up more screenshots of these other phases in the game, to show you the true scope of the game
Under construction

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 09:06:38 pm »
I think that it will be in the game i just think it is strange that they did not even mention it, they mentioned the stages they did not show like tribal and stuff but they did not mention that you could live in the water.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 10:04:24 pm »
I suspect (hope) that water is like flying and the space stuff, not much is being shown so as to maintain the element of surprise and discovery when the game is released.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 03:19:57 am »
yeah or it could still be buggy and they didnt show it in the e3.
or maybe that they wanted to show more of the creature and space stages because they thought that's what the people would be more interested in and absorbs them into the game more.
Under construction

Offline Vinnie

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 08:32:06 am »
I think this is the reason that there isn't a clear release date yet... there is a lot to be done (It is a big game  ::))

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 11:42:50 am »
Probably this is the most unfinished stage, because it is difficult to create a civ that is so different from ours, think on vehicles, buildings, how they use the fire, etc.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 02:00:47 pm »
The last bit of info on this was from GDC/e3 05 time. That info was - "Yes, underwater civs are possible, blah blah blah"

So until we're told otherwise, Yes. Underwater creatures and civs are in.

"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 03:09:10 pm »
the underwater stage is obviously in the game (based on the main spore trailer shown at e3 06) and i would assume underwater civs are in as it seems that expanding upon the idea of underwater civilizations would be fairly easy, being practically identical to land based civs, and i believe it was once mentioned that land based civs could build domed cities underwater, so why not have a water based civ? wouldn't the city be the same as a domed city only without the dome?
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline mccarty181

• Tempest Top Dog
  • yes I have a thing for rodents...so what
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 03:13:58 pm »
the underwater stage is obviously in the game (based on the main spore trailer shown at e3 06) and i would assume underwater civs are in as it seems that expanding upon the idea of underwater civilizations would be fairly easy, being practically identical to land based civs, and i believe it was once mentioned that land based civs could build domed cities underwater, so why not have a water based civ? wouldn't the city be the same as a domed city only without the dome?

it would and for underwater tribal you don't have to give them fire or weapons there all options in the menu so they dont exactly need fire to advance although it would help
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 04:27:03 pm »
I think they will have weapons, and an equivilent of fire. They'll probably have exactly the same structure as surface civilisations, only things not compatable with underwater life will be changed. Rather than a firepit, you might have a little tiny underwater volcanic vent, or something that resembles a hot-spring (discovered by jabbing stakes into the floor, finding a warm current). I dunno, just random uneducated ideas. xD
Though for some reason I can imagine a primitive underwater tribe relying on basic shields to take out large carnivorous fish, or carrying little detached anemone instead of clubs or spears..

I get the mental image of an underwater civilisation being anchored to the floor, too, just to simplify things. Whilst they can swim, the buildings are anchored to the ground, and the people of the species prefer walking on the seabed rather than swimming up and around in the open 'air'. Still, what the hell do I know? Expectations dont mean a great deal just yet.

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 03:22:48 am »
Isn't it up to the player what the fire would look like?  Guess it depends on how far we can customise the tools they get at tribal stage.
Book, book, book