Author Topic: A BRAND SPANKING NEW SPECIES: Meet the Ghulos!  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
A BRAND SPANKING NEW SPECIES: Meet the Ghulos!
« on: May 17, 2006, 06:49:05 pm »
The Ghulos is based off my favorite mythological creature, I hope it's unique enough for you elitist bastards ;)

The Ghulos is a mammalian primate living on the planet Nihelios, a planet whose unique orbit leads to long nights and shorter day periods.
Basic Physiology
The Ghulos follows a humanoid bodyplan, however, their bodies are very lean, with an emaciated appearance being the norm. Males, on average, stand about 7 feet tall. They have broad chests and shoulders, narrow waists, and long, powerful arms, much longer than their legs. Their hands and large, and four fingers, with sharp black claws. Their skin comes in a variety of colors, ranging from paper white, to grayish, to a cobalt blue color. Their ears are pointed and forward facing. Their mouths are wide, with thin lips, and full of dagger like teeth. Their noses are often small, however, their sense of smell is highly developed. Their hair is almost always black. They have large, highly developed eyes, which reflect like, giving them a yellow, luminous quality. Their gait is often hunched, as they switch between bipedal movement for walking and run on all fours.

LifestyleThe Ghulos is a social creature, and most often lives underground in caves during the day. The caves they inhabit have bioluminescent fungi, which the Ghulos have cultivated for years to light their homes. The Ghulos also cultivate edible fungi, which they suppliment their carnivorous diet. Although the Ghulos feed on prey that lives in the caves, at night, they often go out and hunt larger beasts, in swift moving packs. The Ghulos's long arms and sharp claws allow it to climb, and they often climb up trees to pounce on prey, or clamber to the ceilings of caves to pick fungi. The Ghulos mate for life, and give birth to a single child at a time, although rarely twins are born.

I'll be adding more later. COMMENTS APPRECIATED. Drawings would be appreciated too, for you ARTSY-PANTS types.

Offline Tark

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Woof
    • View Profile
Re: A BRAND SPANKING NEW SPECIES: Meet the Ghulos!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 07:04:02 pm »
Interesting concept. Could use some more elaboration, however. Ooh and a drawing too ;D

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 07:07:34 pm »
Drawings would be appreciated too, for you ARTSY-PANTS types.
Yeah.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:43:28 pm »
someone will draw it, gec06 will probably
Under construction

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:50:32 pm »
They sound cool. Kind of makes me think of bat people for some reason. And on the subject of artists, whatever happened to Dake? He said he was back, then disappeared again.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 05:48:51 pm »
 really it reminds me of fish people though because of the blue skin and razor teeth,and you don't have to call the people who everything original elitist bastards even though i think you were being Sacastic. people will acept yor creature as long as its not an exact copy of somthing...well most will accept it me included. for the drawings, why don't you try,no one knows your creature better then you and if its a horrible drawing try again or post it and wait for somone to draw it better, there are kind people like that on the boards. beside all that its good, give more info soon.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 01:46:20 pm »
A brief Evolutionary History of the Ghulos!

The Ghulos had a very uneventful evolution, evolving from fish, to amphibians, to quadrapedal predators. Eventually, they became brachiating hunters which would pounce upon prey that happened to wander beneath them. However, a cataclysmic event in their solar system caused their planet to be bombarded with large amounts of Ultra-violet radiation for thousands of years. The ghul-ancestors that fled to the caves survived, as did ones that eventually developed an immunity to the irradiation. Over time, the Ghul-ancestors that hid in the caves eventually developed sharp senses, as they would only leave their homes during the night, where the radiation, although still much higher than Earth, was tolerable. These cave dwellers eventually developed tools, as to minimize the amount of time it took to kill, retrieve, and prepare prey outside. Eventually they built crude, competitive societies inside the caves, and even began building small personal shelters to defend what little property they had. After many years of evolution, another cosmic event caused the day to become shorter than the night. The ancestors now had much more time to hunt, and thrived, while the offshoots that decided to stay in the sun, encumbered by their thick, radiation proof skin, were hunted to exctinction by their agile cousins. The Ghulos still have some traits remicent of their past ancestors, such as their tough skin, and powerful immune system which actively weeds out cancerous cells.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 05:45:27 pm »
I love how you people say you're really interested in it and when I post more information you don't ****ing read it  ;)

Offline catnip18

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 06:09:39 pm »
wow that's a good creature

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 06:25:42 pm »
^_^ Swearing gets attention! Woot!

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 08:26:35 am »
OOC: Which is your main Creature, The Squillisks or the Ghulos?

///Salutations! I am Jameli Hota, Diplomat from "The Three". We would be honoured if you would join O.T.H.E.R., Alliance of Wisdom, Stength and Justice.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 11:49:48 am »
(The sacow are my main. I haven't posted about them yet. I won't accept the invite because I haven't fleshed out the Ghulos enough yet, sorry.))

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 03:38:32 pm »
Bubububububububuh?

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 05:45:52 pm »
taadaa! its finally done! (compared with how bad the first pictures were coming out, i think this one turned out rather nicely) :D

(i'll upload a bigger version next time i use a better comp)
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 06:53:50 pm »
Cool! Thanks Ghost!

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 04:50:16 pm »
Ghulos Religion: Throughout most of Ghulos history, one religion has dominated over all society. The Ghulos believe in a central diety, who has created the universe and everything in it. However, this nameless diety is rather busy, and never looks over his creations. So, the creator creates two different genders of a species, and when they eventually die after going about a full life, these creatures become Deities as well, who watch over and protect their offspring. The Ghulos, although they acknowledge that all other life on their planet (and others) has two guardians, only worship their guardians, known collectively as The Pair. Ghil, the father of all Ghulos, and Rana, the mother of all Ghulos. Ghil is said to be the embodiment of things considered "manly", such as hunting, smithing, and warfare, while Rana is said to be the embodiment of fertility, agriculture, and art. There is little organization in the religion, communities simply create their own shrines and worship when they feel is right.

The religion is also tied in with the Ghulos's government. Thousands of years ago, all Ghulos nations were wiped out and conquered, and were solidified into a single empire, ruled by a single Emperor. This Emperor is said to have been a soul, crafted from the elements of the world by Ghil, and given life by Rana, in order to be raised to unite the Ghulos. When the soul was mature, it was implanted into the unborn baby of a young peasant couple. In time, this child grew, and was said to be a great warrior and leader, and, eventually, went on to raise an army that caught the world off guard and established a strong, and more peaceful rule(there was still small amounts of war by rogue dissenters.). It is also said that this one soul has been every Emperor since this event, and that when the old emperor dies, the soul inhabits the body of his son. If the emperor has no son, it will inhabit the body of his daughter, and if the Emperor is completely without children, it is said to inhabit the body of a random man or woman. Thus, the empire has five special priests, each named after a sense,, who travel the world and attempt to sense who the soul has inhabited. This person is then crowned as emperor.

Also, the Ghulos have a belief in the afterlife. Due to their harsh evolution and lack of food, it was common for them to eat their dead. Eventually, this developed into a religious ceremony. The eating of your ancestors became a sacred ritual, as it was said that by eating them, their strengh was transferred to those who partook of the feast, and their soul was free to leave the body and join Ghil and Rana in their travels about the world. However, if a body could not be eaten, due to infection or death by poison, it was considered to be insulting to the spirit of the dead. Thus, the body would be burnt as quickly as possible, so they do not grow impatient. If a body is left to rot, it is said that the soul inside becames angry and vengeful, and when the body finally decays into nothing, the soul is released and will cause havok for all it meets. However, the Ghulos also believe in punishment of the wicked in the afterlife. The souls of the wicked, when the body is destroyed, are freed from the corpse, but are not free to roam the world, and are instead trapped where they have died, destined to view the world change as they are helpless to watch what they knew became meaningless as time goes by.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 05:03:28 pm »

like i said i thought  it looked like a fish but now it looks like some zombie but that makes since since its called ghulos
keep up the info
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 06:28:18 pm »
Thought it sounded pretty bat-like to me before, and the picture enforces that image. Zombie bat-man?
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 12:20:02 pm »
I totally stole this from Balth. I might fiddle with it later.

GalactiPedia Entry:
The Ghulos

Full Name: The Ghulos Empire
Founded: Over 2000 years ago
Successor State to: Various kingdoms and city states.
Political Affiliation: To themselves, eh.
Predecessor to: None so far.
Languages: Ghulos, Borrabessian(A sign language designed to communicate with the sentient Borrabes, a beast of burden on Nihelios that lacks proper vocal speech capability)
Government: Dictatorship, lead by Emperor.
State Motto:"Strength through Sacrifice!"
Head of Government: Emperor, current incarnation named Asymth Dia'ouhl.
Capital Planet: Nihelios
Capital City: Citadel City, a city built around the imperial palace, a massive skyscraper fortress known as the Citadel.
Currency: Ghulos Imperial Krihl, Standard galactic credits used in trade.
Main Exports:Various metals, various meats, weapons, and culture(music)
Main Imports: Spacecraft parts, silver
Technology: FTL travel, cryogenics, cybernetics, electromagnetic drive weaponry, ionic weaponry, laser weaponry, cloning(although only used on livestock).
Military Spending: 60% of taxation money.
Capital Punishment?: Encouraged
Corporal Punishment?: Encouraged
Self Sufficient?: 96 percent
Energy: 25 percent geothermal, 60 percent fusion, 10 percent fission, 5 percent fossil fuel.
State Religion: No official church organization, but 97% of the populace believe in The Pair.
Independence Recognised By: All in Contact.
Territories: The Nihil system, various surrounding systems, colonies on Olympia.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 07:17:43 pm by Xarionis »

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 12:32:25 pm »
I doubt harnessing fission is possible yet maybe I am wrong and it could be done one day.

Anyway very nice :).

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 12:41:45 pm »
We have fission now.

That's how atomic bombs and nuclear power plants work.