Author Topic: Spore Boxart  (Read 39608 times)

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Spore Boxart
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 06:37:04 am »
It looks great!

If I was designing it though, I'd have the (a) screeny of the micro-stage goop with an amoeba in the middle and when it wraps around the back it turns into a starfield with a UFO in the middle!

Actually I'll make one after my exams this week.

Expect it on...Friday? hopefully I'll get time.

I'd love to see others' ideas in the meantime ;D
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline piratestrangler

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 08:22:32 am »
i got one, i dont know it sounded pretty cool to me.

it could show like two bacteria, each on the opposite sides from eachother, and its like those evolution charts and it shows several pics of them evolving leading up to them meeting eachother head on pointing futuristic guns at eachother.

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2005, 09:27:01 am »
I'm not changing it. Make your own. The T logo WAS slapped on there ;).
EDIT: And I got the petri dish/ "From goo to galaxy" from someone else's post in the forums. I'm not meaning to steal credit from them.
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 09:31:38 am »
Thought i'd try my hand at it...didn't come out as well as I'd hoped:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 09:41:50 am by Borogove »
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 09:40:54 am »
I think it looks good.  :) But it looks a little more like an advertizement than boxart.

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 10:39:26 am »
Agreed, looks like it would make a nice poster, but for boxart I think title needs to be larger perhaps?

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2005, 12:14:46 pm »
Yeah, larger and more centered.
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 12:58:34 pm »
And I got the petri dish/ "From goo to galaxy" from someone else's post in the forums. I'm not meaning to steal credit from them.

Yep, I take credit for that slogan.  I originally posted it here:
http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=543.0

I'm flattered that you used it for your box art though!

:-)

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 06:33:23 pm »
That would be sweet for a poster Borogove,
I wouldnt be suprised if Maxis cam and stole it, it looks very porfessional.

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 08:16:04 pm »
I'd be. Maxis can make their very own damn poster without using the same graphics in their website intro. And they'd have more insider stuff they can fill the poster with.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2005, 03:55:27 am »
I think it's required by law to have an ESRB rating. "That" being every game produced since the system was invented about 10 years ago.

Nope. It's not! But everyone does it, because if you don't, your game won't seem as professional. That, and most companies greatly approve of ESRB ratings.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2005, 05:38:30 am »
Probably not by law, but required by Walmart.
Which might as well be law for game publishers.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline tomberg

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2005, 08:13:45 am »
bam
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 08:32:22 am by tomberg »

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2005, 08:36:30 am »
Thats alright, some tips though -

-- You could turn one set of the fishy things the other way round to make it look cooler
-- Dont use the paint to edit picture
-- use similar sized creatures in the centre, perheps the 2 legged verson would have been more suited to this than the microbe?

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2005, 02:40:38 pm »
Here's a few thoughts on boxart --

Personally, putting anything specific on the front, like the Willosaurus, doesn't seem too smart. People going by the games aisle in the store will see it and say either, "Ooh! Dinosaurs!" and look at it, or "Ugh. Dinosaurs." and avoid it.
Hell, I've done similar things myself because "judging a book by its cover" is the only way to spare money for something that you know you want. When generally browsing a store with several games I've not seen before, I'll slowly eliminate the ones that I don't want and work down until I see a few that look interesting.
I'm not saying I'm exemplary or anything; I'll just assume that others could do the same.

I think the time has come to do something simple with boxart. Since everyone else seems keen on blasting the front with images of main characters, guns, soldiers storming a castle, weird symbols, and stupid crap like "Sequel to the game of the year." like anyone gives a damn, I'd be more drawn to something very plain and simple. Something with contrast.
Hell, Black and White caught my attention immediately (even though it was partially behind a cardboard display of some movie nobody watched) with its black box and white title text. Maybe Spore could do the same.

Then there's the backside. If you're drawing the attention of a complete stranger, someone who knows nothing of the game, you'll have to be smart with your words and sell them with the stuff on the back, or on one of those front parts that fold over (like the Pirates! box).
Probably have a few pictures of examples of creatures, maybe a large collage of many creature examples faded into the background, with pictures here and there to show some editors and areas of gameplay.
Text would have to detail that you make your own creatures using a simple and easy to use editor, and explain what this whole "from spore to galactic god" deal means. They'll have to know by the time they reach the last couple words, that this game involves many different genres of gameplay as you live out the evolution of something you make.
And of course, mentioning the "procedurally generated texturing, animation, worlds, etc." in such a way that a passerby taking a quick glance could understand what it means. Wording it wrong could leave them thinking, "Hm... big techie words. It probably won't run on my computer." given that the minimum and recommended specs on the sides of the boxes have been consistently wrong for the entire time I've ever had my PC.

That's just what I think. I might show you what I mean later.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom