Poll

How did you feel about "Celda/Windwaker?"

Angry when you first heard, but better when you actually played
Angry when you first heard and still angry when you played
Okay about it when you first heard and great when you played
Absolutely pissed and predicted that Zelda would be forever destroyed in their hearts
I DONT CARE. I LOVE NINTENDO NO MATTER WHAT!

Author Topic: Old Stuff: Celda  (Read 5681 times)

Offline WiiForever

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Old Stuff: Celda
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:02:49 pm »
Yeah that was a shocker for many, me included. Kinda reminds of how people thought, and still think, of the name Wii. It's cool to look back on this stuff.

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
Re: Old Stuff: Celda
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:11:29 pm »
I don't understand the hatred of windwaker, and at the risk of being flamebait, i will defend it. Appearance aside, it had the best gameplay of any of the zelda series, IMHO. The sailing experience was excellent. It was also one of the few games where the music never got on my nerves no matter how many times I heard it.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:14:19 pm »
E-gads talk about dragging up stuff from the past. I never played it so I can't answer your poll. I don't think I can remember what I thought when I first saw it.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline WiiForever

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 10:22:09 pm »
I don't understand the hatred of windwaker, and at the risk of being flamebait, i will defend it. Appearance aside, it had the best gameplay of any of the zelda series, IMHO. The sailing experience was excellent. It was also one of the few games where the music never got on my nerves no matter how many times I heard it.
Allow me to clarify myself: it was a shocker, but the game was awsome when i got it. Can't say I wasn't upset when I first heard about it. Otherwise I'd be a hypocrite.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 10:22:17 pm »
Why are you calling it Celda? Or did you just hit c instead of z?

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 10:26:02 pm »
Where's that elusive 'Z' key?

I really enjoyed Wind Waker. I think that too many people judged it on it's cell shaded animations. Actually though, if you actually played through the game, I think it was fantastic. The facial expressions of Link were priceless. It wasn't as good as OOT, or A Link to the Past, but it was still a fantastic game. I'm pumped for Twilight Princess.

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 10:31:39 pm »
"celda" was the nickname for it because its graphics were cel-shaded.

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:32:48 pm »
"celda" was the nickname for it because its graphics were cel-shaded.

Ah, makes a lot more sense now :)

Either way, I thought it was a terrific game.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 12:09:53 am »
The graphics never bothered me, I was a huge fan of Jet Set Radio, and thought the style of graphics really suited the game.  Of course, I love the realistic Zelda, but I have no problem with them taken a different approach every now and again to mix things up.  Take something like Pokemon, it's on it's fourth generation of games now and it STILL looks exactly the same as it did 10 years ago, slightly nicer seudo-3D graphics, but still the same old style.

Oh, and the Windwaker itself was a great game, it told the story much better than any of the previous games.  The one problem with the game was it's difficulty level.  Far too easy, I finished the game fully, never dying once.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 12:16:20 am »
I think I remember how i felt now: I was disapointed, that it wasn't a grown up link they had shown at E3 the year before. I did like the way it looked, but I never got around to playing it.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 12:29:35 am »
i agree snowblind. i am all for games testing out other iterations.

we all know we love the gameplay of zelda; i've loved it since the original one. we also all know we love the lore and story of zelda; again, most have loved it since the original one.

so why not return to the roots every now and again? the original zelda featured a somewhat diminutive and dwarfish link. he was as wide as he was tall (granted, a design limitation) and had something of a cartoony feel. this style was built upon and revisted in many forms, including the very powerful SNES version. we all saw this link was cartoony, and it still looked good.

when i was in high school nintendo came out with ocarina. wow, what a difference? this zelda was quite realistic in scope. it's like they took the game and altered it not just into three-dimensions, but in style as well. i was pleased as it was yet another zelda game. who wouldn't want it? but we all have to note that this game, like the adventure of link, was a deviation to the series.
yet it was this game that the second generation of console gamers played first. that's right, many of them flat-out missed the SNES version, let alone the NES ones. this was the only zelda they knew! can you believe that? the tragedy...

so wind waker comes out. a return to the diminutive cutsey squished style of the series. and people freak out! it's pretty easy to see why. most who had only played ocarina and thought it was a "big boy" game when they were in elementary/middle school were now in high school/college, and weren't mature enough to deal with playing a game that looked, dare i say it? "kiddie." this is a good time to say what the ****? were it not banned from the boards.

so people freaked out about the cartoon look of wind waker, when zelda always had a cartoon look.  sure, i was at first taken aback, but once i played the game i realized how awesome tastic it was. twilight suggests it will return to the preferred ocarina take on the game. but we can tell that some elements from majora and windwaker have entered into the design for twilight. look at the tattoings or spirit forms. do these not scream windwaker zelda art?

now that that tirade is over with, i am very appreciative of a game that can redistinguish itself with a new version. wouldn't you want to try out a version of halo that was... well... not so "realistic?" i would. i would also want to play a very realistic mario while we are at it. that would be a mind-**** indeed. but at the same time, i'm quite content with the worlds created. in fact, the thing that pisses me off about mario is a lack of continuity. each iteration seems to have the same gameplay, but suddenly enemies dissapear, or skills swap. i want a mario that encompasses everything. i want my raccoon mario on a yoshi. i want to wall jump, pick up shells, shoot fireballs, and wear a frog suit. i want to see goombas and koopas, not weird fat things with red noses, or duck creatures that are just a head, or those accursed pianta (sp? i dissasociated them from my mind) people. ~shudder~ /end digression

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 02:59:32 am »
I was dissapointed only in the sense that I wanted something Like we all saw in that video of Link fighting Ganondorf that looked f-ing sweet. Still I didn't hate the game or anything for it and anyone who tried the it looks kiddie therefore is crap line on me got a smack upside the head. Although i only played the game briefly on my friends gamecube it was still fun and looked cool.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 06:47:08 am »
Where is the "I always loved it" option?

Why do people always hate the things that I like? I like the name "Wii"
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 09:09:35 am »
Being the blind Nintendo Fanboy that I am, I never ever had any problem with it.

Offline Paradox

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 09:15:16 am »
I was actually in the transition of turning from Sony to back to Nintendo, through bouts of 4 player Smash Brothers, and multiplayer snake on Timesplitters 2. I actually quite liked the style though and even now I'd rather have it over Twilight Princess' realistic graphics, it all seems so long ago now.