Author Topic: Another Star Wars box  (Read 4825 times)

Offline WiiForever

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Another Star Wars box
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:32:00 pm »
I can't believe they're bringing out another trilogy box set. I mean they've had a bunch of laserdisc ones, a video one, and a DVD one. What more do you need? Lucas just can't get enough money.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
Re: Another Star Wars box
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 02:08:50 am »
These are the originals though.  The original, orginals.  Before they were all fixed up.
Doesn't interest me too much though, I'm one of the few people who actually thought the new trilogy was better than the original.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 08:59:25 am »
So now we've got a real capitalistic choice here! The original trilogy, the fixed trilogy that came in the 90's, the fooked up version on DVD(Hayden in ROTJ, what?) plus all of those on VHS and DVD as seperate ones! Aah, I love boxes. Everything becomes so organized.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 10:37:29 am »
Ahhhh, but you know, the same people (you, me, everyone) who are buying these AGAIN, will buy them yet one more time when they're released on HD-DVD.

Offline WiiForever

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 06:04:32 pm »
So now we've got a real capitalistic choice here! The original trilogy, the fixed trilogy that came in the 90's, the fooked up version on DVD(Hayden in ROTJ, what?) plus all of those on VHS and DVD as seperate ones! Aah, I love boxes. Everything becomes so organized.
That's the part I really loathe. Hayden doesn't deserve to be there. I prefer that other guy who I have no idea is. Must be a famous old actor. Don't know many of those. But still. Better than the whiney baby.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 08:13:24 pm »
I have the 1st release on tape, and if I want to watch them again, I'll watch them on tape

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 05:18:41 am »
I have the 1st release on tape, and if I want to watch them again, I'll watch them on tape
Of course, sound and image on a VHS might not be quite good enough for a home cinema system. There are lots of those these days.
I actually prefer the "middle" version. They didn't change anything, didn't add much and improved the quiality of picture and sound a lot.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 01:45:34 pm »
If these are the true originals with none of that Special Edition crap, I'll gladly buy them. The Special Editions were really frustrating for me and my closest friends. We were sitting in the theater, saw how they changed the Han / Greedo fight, and walked out right then and there. As cliche as it is to proclaim that scene an utter disaster in the SE editions, I'm going to reiterate: It was moronic to change that. Absolutely moronic, and it goes to show that Lucas's original masterpiece was made by accident for the most part. Empire and Return were well made by his handing over the writing chores to Lawrence Kasdan, who is an amazing writer.

Offline WiiForever

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 04:09:06 pm »
Irvin Kershener was an awesome director. He put the comedy in Empire strikes back. If you have the special edition DVD, you should check out the commentary for Empire. The parts with Kershner talking are hilarious. "stupid robot!" :D

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 10:43:51 pm »
Oh noes the Han vs Greedo f00tage! That's the silliest part of the entire fandom surrounding this movie. George Lucas is the director, he can do whatever he wants.  :P

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 01:08:27 am »
If these are the true originals with none of that Special Edition crap, I'll gladly buy them. The Special Editions were really frustrating for me and my closest friends. We were sitting in the theater, saw how they changed the Han / Greedo fight, and walked out right then and there. As cliche as it is to proclaim that scene an utter disaster in the SE editions, I'm going to reiterate: It was moronic to change that. Absolutely moronic, and it goes to show that Lucas's original masterpiece was made by accident for the most part. Empire and Return were well made by his handing over the writing chores to Lawrence Kasdan, who is an amazing writer.

You'll like the new Lego Star Wars game then.  Han shoots first.   ;)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 01:21:18 am »

You'll like the new Lego Star Wars game then.  Han shoots first.   ;)

Is there some more footage of that? I can't wait for it. I gave in and bought the 1st one for $20 because Hollywood video didn't have it to rent, and didn't want to wait for game fly.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 07:30:10 am »
Oh noes the Han vs Greedo f00tage! That's the silliest part of the entire fandom surrounding this movie. George Lucas is the director, he can do whatever he wants. :P

Oh, I agree. He can. But that doesn't mean that everything he does makes something better. Sometimes mucking around with things only cheapens them, in that scene's case. I'll put it to you this way: Lucas has said in interviews that the reason he wanted to change that is because he felt it could be perceived that Han murdered Greedo in cold blood. First of all, I don't know anyone that feels that way, and secondly, making Greedo shoot first changes that initial scene where you get to know the difference between Han and Luke. Sure, Han's the experienced one out of the two; but that's not a character trait. What IS, and what pisses people off about that change, is that Han shooting Greedo without Greedo shooting at him first is that it draws a clear line who Han is compared to everyone else in that show.

If you shoot at Luke, he'll shoot back; if you shoot at Obi-Wan, he'll cut your arm off. If you shoot at Chewy, he'll rip your arms off and beat you to death with them. But what none of those characters will do is attack first, make a preemptive strike. And Han is willing to do that. It's like Jayne said in SERENITY, "I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's going to start a fair fight." Same goes for Malcolm in that movie, and he was based (according to comments by Joss Whedon) on Han Solo to some extent -- and he shot the Operative with little to no reason other than considering him a threat.

To remove that scene or have Greedo shoot first makes Han like everyone else: Willing to defend himself if fired upon. But that's not what made him interesting.