Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu inspired RTS (Personal Idea)  (Read 9469 times)

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Call of Cthulhu inspired RTS (Personal Idea)
« on: May 21, 2005, 06:10:17 pm »
I was poking around on Gamespot when I noticed the growing number of Lovecraft-inspired games. However, it seems that they are all confined to the FPS/Action/Adventure genres. Let's think outside the box here for a second. How about a CoC game, set not in the 30s or modern day, and not an FPS/Actio/Adventure title, but a *gasp* Real Time Strategy title set in the near future? Before you flame me or dismiss this topic, lemme have a moment or two of your time.

The End Times. Gives you chills, eh? How about setting the game during the end of the world, when the Old Ones have awakened and humanity is going to hell in a handbasket? This setting not only is the most unexplored, but it is also the one that offers the most fun and excitement.

Three different forces. Humans are a definite yes, since you basically can't have a game set on Earth without including something about us in there. The Mythos is set in stone, since it's always fun to play as the bad guys once in a while. Third, the Yithians. No, I'm not talking about the sissy cone-shaped bodies they inhabited in Precambrian Australia. I'm talking wayward minds that have come to Earth from the farthrest reaches of the universe inhabiting various bodies to capitalize on the End Times and uncover a way to rejoin their fellows in the beetle bodies of distant-future Earth.

Branching tech trees for each force that entwine. Humans can research the Human, Magic, and Machine Corps trees. The Mythos begins by building a temple to one of the Outer Gods, and follows along on their path of associated heroes, avatars, and units with Azathoth, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog Sothoth as the branches. The Yithians will follow along three disciplines of assualt from Land to Sea to Air, depending on your play style and the map environment.

How about having each force start off in a different situation? Being almost crushed and near defeat will put a damper on any civilizations day, so the humans both in the campaign and the multiplayer, will start off scattered across the map in small settlements. This takes away the advantages bestowed by thier superb defenses and forces the player to really get moving. The Mythos will usually start in a good defensive position with plenty of time to act. Given their slow nature, they'll need it. The Yithians will have no fixed bases, and can begin anywhere on the map. With no buildings, the Yithian hero units are used to call down dropships with reinforcements. This really emphasizes their assault-based mobile nature.

Resources will work differently for each race. Humans gain requisition (ala Warhammer 40k) by conquering new territories and building fortresses on them. Materiel is gained by building depots on top of supply dumps. Mana (For magic tech tree units and technologies) is automatically gained by conquering new territories that have ley line nexi on them. Build a research station to gain it faster, while an Sanctum Arkanus will generate it even faster. For non-magic using players, the mana can be converted into artifacts that, when dropped into a territory, will double the speed of requisition generation in that territory. The Mythos uses Horde resource, which is generated faster by having a bigger population. When a unit is killed, you gain a refund of Horde back to build others. Power is generated by corrupting ley line nexi and building an Eldritch Pillar over them. Power is used to summon avatars, heroes, and charge up Outer God manifestations. Yithians gain requisition by killing enemy units and controlling territories.

Whoo...I'd go on, but my fingers are tired. How about a little feedback? Good idea, bad idea? Come on, anything!

There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu inspired RTS (Personal Idea)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 03:06:12 am »
Sounds good but shouldn't it be a very dark game?

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 01:33:13 pm »
Of course, it would be incredibly dark. The humans should understand that they have little to no chance of winning the war, while the Mythos, being what it is, would simply be assured of their ability to crush out humanity's resistance. The Yithians would be optimistic, seeing as in how they know that after the End Times, they will once again rule the world undisputably in their beetle-like bodies.

The campaign stories would be much more character-driven and dramatic than others. Think Warcraft 3 but on a whole new level. For example, in the Human campaign, the remnants of humanity slowly realize that they owe their existence to the experiments of the Elder Things and that their systems of faith just might be derived from the dreams of Cthulhu as interpreted by major religious figures. Just a thought.

Offline TheBlindIdiotGod

• Breakout Battler
  • The seething chaos at the center of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 08:36:31 pm »
Very interesting!

However, I feel that it lacks perhaps some of the more, well, Lovecraft feel to it. Then again, a RTS is hard to adapt Lovecraft into. Yet it has an endearing quality to it. A few suggestions from humble me.

The Humans using magic? I don't buy it that well. Consider Sanity. Infact, integrate sanity into the game. Remember that most magic comes from the Mythos itself. Units can sacrifice sanity for certain forms of magic. In fact, have Mythos beings erode sanity with mere presence and abilities. This is a big imbalance, but then again, the Mythos should be painfully slow moving, but show at least be able to form rudimentary derfense. In fact, they should have to rely entirely on the recruitment of cultists, either from their Human opponents, civilian Bystanders, or some cannon fodder that can be bought. Somewhat similar to Warcraft's undead, the Cultists are the backbone as they are truly necessary to keep the Mythos moving, and coming in a few varieties, can provide defense. The Mythos also has a trump card, the ability to summon one of the three main Outer Gods Shub Niggurath, Azathoth, or Yog-Sothoth. This is the equivalent of summoning the Keeper in Dungeon Keeper. It is an endgame. This is what the Humans and Yithians want to prevent. Of course, it will take an ungodly amount of time for the Mythos to do this. Abilities to summon lesser manifestations of the GOOs, such as the Black Man, the King in Yellow, ect. should also be allowed, as should such one-shot creatures like the Hounds of Tindalos and such. Backbone servitors should be the shoggoths, the byakhees, and the dimensional shamblers. Ghouls should be kept as an independent race, along with other "bystander" such.

More later, perhaps, I must retire.
For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings : stamp down the wretched & the weak : this is the law of the strong : this is our law and the joy of the world.

THE BOOK OF THE LAW
Aleister Crowley, dictated from Aiwass

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 08:48:54 pm »
You my friend read my mind on the summoning of the Outer Gods. Here are my ideas on the manifestations:

Azathoth- This manifestation calls Azathoth to Earth, and therefore, destroys anything and everything, including your own units, within sight. Nothing can stop this power except for a Null field or if the Priest doing to summoning is killed before the ritual is complete.

Shub-Niggurath- Summons the Black Goat of the Woods itself, in a controllable unit form. Rolling over any attackers, nearly impervious to damage, and armed to the teeth with wondrous powers, Shub-Niggurath is a force that can end wars in the blink of an eye. Her major powers allow her to spew forth a wave of pods that sprout into Dark Young upon hatching, and allow her to transform into a well-defended and nigh-indestructible fortress upon death.

Yog Sothoth- Need suggestions for him...

Offline TheBlindIdiotGod

• Breakout Battler
  • The seething chaos at the center of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 06:09:07 am »
Yog Sothoth's summoning would be the opening of the Gate. Which would mean, a preset cinematic in which there really is no stopping it. Yog-Sothoth himself  isn't all that useful, but since he is the gate, that means all the other GOOs awaken when he does. Would render the other manifestations obsolete, as this one is the real trump card. I suggest a slightly lower term GOO or Outer God. Like Cthugha. His awakening would mean serious burnination and time warping. Try programming that.
For they feel not. Compassion is the vice of kings : stamp down the wretched & the weak : this is the law of the strong : this is our law and the joy of the world.

THE BOOK OF THE LAW
Aleister Crowley, dictated from Aiwass

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 01:49:34 pm »
Interesting thought that...I had something more in the idea of a moving unit that allows you to select all sorts of weird time and space-distorting effects. Lets you slow down time to kill enemies faster, or speed time up around it, allowing you to age enemy units to death and make your units more powerful due to the experience that comes with time. This could also cause your production buildings in the area to build units super-fast. Maybe an ability to tear open the Gate and release a random Old One or horde of dimensional shamblers to attack the enemy.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 07:01:53 am »
So...when do we start?

I can do concept art and textures!

;D
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 10:04:18 am »
Oh so, this is a project now? Really, I don't think this would ever happen. It could be the most fun RTS ever, and a publisher wouldn't even think about touching it. Lovecraft isn't mainstream enough for an RTS, though there are barrels of weird and/or lame action/adventure/horror games that will end up in the bargain bin. This is what I predict for the new Lovecraft games. They'll be yout usual, run of the mill RE4 ripoffs that will never succeed. However, this RTS would propably kick all kinds of ass. Just a thought.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 11:19:06 pm »
Great idea.  There aren't enough dark games.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 04:34:46 am »
Yeah, the lack of bleak games dissapoints me. I loved seeing my entire squad getting blasted to bits in Brothers in Arms at the beginning, and I wanted to play through the entire game just to see how they got there. Knowing that your character dies at the end doesn't decrease motivation, it makes you want to know more about him, how he died, and what he dis along the way.

Humans may end up losing the war and being completely wiped out, but that doesn't make the last battles any less cooler. It's good to know that you were a thorn in the enemy's side, if even for a little while. As for the Mythos, the player knows that he's going to be the victor in the end of the campaign, but the fun is in fighting all the battles to get there, destroying human base adter human base, each time knowing that you're that much closer to victory. The Yithians really are more detached. They have the ability to pull out and leave at any time, but they instead risk the bodies their minds inhabit to reconnect with their lost bretheren.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 07:37:28 pm »
Maybe we could do something from an Elder Thing perspective?  They would be a natural ally for the humans due to somewhat similar psychology, and old rivalries with the rest of the Mythos.  Maybe you could have one of the older, less degraded forms awakening and going "the Shoggoths did WHAT??", and thawing out a few of his companions.  They'd start with a pitiful population that would expand rapidly, although they'd have to constantly struggle to maintain genetic diversity in order to reproduce.  I actually already had an idea for a game focusing mainly on them, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a turn-based 4x game.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 02:24:06 pm »
The Elder Things are really, irrevocably extinct. More than likely, the shoggoths carried the day in the last city, and there are too few of them left to do much of anything. So, any other ideas on this topic?

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 03:05:16 pm »
well some of the awakened elders from the novel could still be alive, and there are bound to be more frozen in caves.  a key point is that they are able to rapidly reproduce until they reach an ecologically stable population.  maybe a key blancing point would be the need to maintain a viable gene pool, since many clones would be vulnerable to contagions and potentially health defects.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 07:57:55 pm »
These are some great ideas. Keep on churning them out, I enjoy reading them.