Author Topic: Crazy Creature Content Conjectures  (Read 4528 times)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
Crazy Creature Content Conjectures
« on: May 21, 2005, 05:21:29 pm »
I just had to go with the alliteration :)

Anyways, I want people to post here what kind of natural defenses people would like to see with their creatures. For example, pincers and tentacles. Some of these defenses are basic so they will be included. However, please post creative defense systems for your species. Also, include a logical reasoning as to how such a defense can be possible in a creature.

Here is my idea: a laser beam shot through the eyes. I came up with how to make one possible after my science teacher said that a creature can not have laser beams. This was for a project, so, naturally, I proved him wrong. He did admit that it was a plausible explanation. The laser that the creature has is an excimer laser which pascically excites atoms and they in turn produce photons. The creatures optic nerve was electrically charged, like an electric eel, and puts out a couple hundred volts. The inside of the eyeball is filled with helium and carbon dioxide. The helium produces a red glow and carbon dioxide is used for more practical uses. It produces beams in infrared light. Thus, it can kill or carve rock. These elements are given to the eye through the lungs. The nerve stimulates the molecules and the photons bounce in the eyeball between a reflective retina and a semi-reflective iris. Once the light is finally released, it shoots off a very high powered beam of light whis is focused with the lenses of the eye. In theory, it should work, but the voltage the nerve produces may need to be increased.

Offline Sawtooth

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Creature Content Conjectures
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 07:28:15 pm »
The usual activities for an animal are eating and reproduction. Statistically, it will do more of the former, so I want to focus my defenses there. A trully superior species will be able to eat anything. Not simply digest any material, mind, but it should have the jaws capable of gulping down huge objects and the teeth capable of rending anything too large into smaller bits. Therefore, the organism must be built around the mouth! And if the organism has a giant mouth, what use has it for arms? None, because arms are only there to pick up food and put it in the mouth. Instead, a prehensile tongue that can launch out and grasp items of feeding interest...no! many tongues, a hydra's nest of tongues so that the organism can eat many things at once. In order to process that ammount of food, the organism needs an enormous belly, housed within a thick chitin shell to protect it. It can rest on a giant slimy foot for simple locomotion, it doesn't need to chase anything because it can eat anything and everything! If a predator attacks it, BAM! swallowed whole.

Imagine it, a whole race of giant snails with no eyes or ears, only a shell and a huge mouth. It can use the tongues for sensation, like those things in Tremors. Yes....yesssss. Behold the insatiable wrath of the great Devourer!

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 07:41:24 pm »
@the first post:
I would hate to be the creature that blinked while shooting the lazer out of their eyes. ;)

Anyway, mine would have its' defenses in its' tail. The tail would be equal, or 2/3 greater than the length of its' body, giving it flexibility and range. (I wrote about this in another thread about what your creatures would look like) The last foot of the tail is is rubbery in texture (texture as in it's what the skin is made of, not the color). At the base, and opposite sides of the rubbery tail are thumb-like prongs that stick about about 4-5 inches. The last 1-2 inches is a conical spike. At the base of this 'spike' are glands that secrete a nuero-toxic poison that the creature gets from eating plants with this poison in them. This tail is used like a whip when defending itself. The creature is a scavanger, but also an oppurtunistic hunter. When the creature is threatened, it will take a pose not much unlike that of a skunk, minus the scent. It will whip its' tail back and forth a few times, and if the threat doesn't back down, the creature uses its' tail to attack.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 07:43:04 pm by vbGamer »

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 07:57:02 pm »
Well, there's the obvious land based electrical defense, like that of an electrical eel.
But another ideal I had was a my version of a dewback. Imagine a hedgehog like creature, only instead of spines, it has gooey tendrils. A larger predeator attacking it would have it lodged in its throat, choking it to death, so other predators would be less likely to go after it as food. Smaller predators and insects would simply get stuck in the tendril, suffocating and gradually being absorbed, though primarily I imagine it as a herbivore.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 08:05:50 pm »
Fire-breath! It's plausible that a flying creature could have 'flight sacks' filled with helium (thus making it weigh less), which, when threatened, it expells through it's muzzle and ignites (ok I haven't worked that bit out yet), to form jets of flame.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 08:09:29 pm »
Yea but, wouldn't you then get some that tend to explode when they get excited?

Offline Dust

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Bugs from Starship Troopers... LONG LIVE THE HIVE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 10:43:36 pm »
Here is a WACKY idea LOL. Okay what if the creature released a gas which made its attacker hallucinate that it self is food and started eating itself.
Evolution?
Cross-breed?
Research?
Combat Tournaments?
Heck yea, Spore is the best game ever!

Offline Ketro Fett

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 12:10:24 am »
Fire-breath! It's plausible that a flying creature could have 'flight sacks' filled with helium (thus making it weigh less), which, when threatened, it expells through it's muzzle and ignites (ok I haven't worked that bit out yet), to form jets of flame.

Teeth made out of flint! :P

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 07:44:51 am »

helium can't ignite, but hydrogen will do the job the best and its lighter than helium.

Offline Xarionis

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 09:01:38 am »
OVerly flatuent creatures. Predators will be all "eeew."

Offline Pir0

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Dolphin Rave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 09:05:24 am »
My carebears will feature many different types of defense. One of them is taking out a katana and putting on a ninja gaiden suit. Ninja carebears will take over the universe!!!

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 12:35:12 pm »
well my pikmin will kick but with leaf weapons  ;D Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!