Author Topic: The Loricentii - Cdr_Cherel's creature  (Read 6881 times)

Offline Cdr_Cherel

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
The Loricentii - Cdr_Cherel's creature
« on: May 15, 2006, 06:09:12 am »
This post is the extended version of the premiere of my first and only creature: the Loricentii, originally posted at "The Imagination Game" thread.

The Loricentii
[/size]
(from Loricatus + sentio, in Latin)
[/size]

The loricentii (plr.) are a race of intelligent beings who live underwater, deep in a planet with no emerged land at all. These creatures can not be found in great numbers, but they are very social and always live in small groups. In the early ages, before "burning mixture" was discovered, these used to live near thermal cracks deep in the ocean, which gave them the warmth they needed.

As they are herbibore, their culture was based on seaweeds, which they have also used for many purposes as Loricenti history progressed. For instance, back in the early ages, seaweeds were used for manufacturing weapons, and tools. Later in the Awakening Times, two rare classes of seaweed where discovered to have fluids which, when mixing, would result in a heat source ("burning mixture"), allowing the Loricentii to expand their civilization and further social evolution, to the modern times. In these times, seaweeds were also used for purposes like "farming" oxygen. This oxygen was used by Loricentii to create their first exploration vehicles: steel capsules working like balloons to get to the surface and beyond by heating oxygen.

Let's take a look at Loricenti biology:

As it can be seen here, the Loricentii are totally armored beings. That means they are rather slow, but strong. They do not need to be fast to hunt, as these are herbibore, sothey need their armor to be protected from predators. the only unprotected parts in the loricentii are the tentacles and manipulators. They have 20 long manipulators they use as their primary motion organs, allowing them to swim at decent speeds, but forwards only. In order to turn, they have to rely in using the fin in the end of their body, although they can't match the maneuverability of many other species in their planet.

As a mean of further protection, they can drop one of these manipulators, with will keep moving on its own, to confuse an enemy while the Loricenti runs away. It will grow again in some time, so no permanent damage is suffered.

They have 8 more manipulators in the shape of short tentacles behind their head. These are mainly used for accuracy purposes in delicate activities, as long manipulators can also be used to wield weapons and general purposes. Obviously, due to that fact, their numerical system is based on number 8.

Loricentii are very sensitive, in spite of their armored body. They can feel water currents and pressure changes around them easily, due to their senses in the gills and forward organs. Their vision is very poor, however, as they belong to a deep dark habitat. Their vision organs are very protected behind its armor, where multiple light-sensing small elements build a single image for the loricenti's brain. In fact, it works like a huge eye, with the hole in armor being the pupil and the multiple little eyes being the cells in our own eyes.

I think that's enough for an introduction.

I'll give Loricentii stats for all elements seen in the sporepedia, in a scale from 1 to 5:

Power 4
Speed 2 (good topspeed, bad turning rate)
Stealth 1
Senses 3 underwater, 1 in another environment
Social 4

Besides all this, we will know a bit about loricenti early tecnology:

First of all, we will see their about their buildings, as we can look at their settlements down in the deep seas.

This is a very small loricenti settlement. it is composed of three standard buildings and an oxigen farm. Each of these building has room for no more than 5 or 6 loricentii, as they live in small groups. Here we can see a inside of the huts and an oxigen farm, so we can understand how do they work:

As you can see, this buildings are accesed by the floor, and have rounded shapes. This way, they can stand much stronger water currents, which are not uncommon in the loricentii home planet
The loricentii use to build this kind of buildings since they keep hot water inside, allowing the loricentii to make a much better use of the "burning mixture" they use to heat their environment. This is acomplished by the rounded inside, and the floor entrance, which prevents hot water to leave the hut as it is kept in the top of the room.

The oxygen farm, which is the highest building of these two, is shaped this way in order to store the oxigen the seaweeds keep producing. As I mentioned previously, this oxigen is used for many purposes by loricentii, like fueling balloons.

And now, about vehicles, this is how a standard Loricenti steel balloon looks like. I will provide you with an inside and outside view:

please note how heating mixture is used to propell the craft after it reaches the water surface. As in every loricenti craft, the pilot is suspended in the water inside the command pod, grabbing special points inside the pod with its tentacles, in order to keep himself stable. While all rear manipulators are used to keep the pilot in his place, only four of the forward tentacles are used for this purpose, as the other 4 must be free in order to command the craft. The craft is accesed through a door below the loricenti pilot, allowing him to leave the craft when it "lands" again on water, as its upper, oxygen filled area, remains emerged.

EDIT: I was reminded by Zneeezzz to talk about their size. Loricentii are nearly 1.5 meters long, living in a planet with predators the size of a small whale living near the surface, who could eat them without problems; and middle sized carnivores who could hurt Loricentii as they attack in groups.

Thanks for reading! and please, note that a being of this species is called a Loricenti, while Loricentii is the plural of this word.
I hope to get some feedback  :D

I will obviously answer questions
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 07:10:46 am by Cdr_Cherel »

It's not anger what makes us strong, but determination.
And determination doesn't require rage, only faith.

Do you know the Loricentii? Cdr_Cherel's creature. Have a look at it!
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=4464.0

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: The Loricentii - Cdr_Cherel's first creature
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 06:50:37 am »
Very nice!  :) In-depth and well designed. A good solution to the fire in water problem too. Add good pictures, and I think we have really nice creature thread here!  ;)

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:57:48 am »
WOW, I love the balloon thingy. Cool idea.

Great job anyway  8)

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:04:28 am »
whow, the inside of the creature gets really deep.. :D nice drawings!
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The Loricentii - Cdr_Cherel's creature
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 07:36:52 am »
Tres cool!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 02:33:50 pm »
Very thought out! I love the buildings.

Offline Evil Weasel

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • Crazy dancing weasel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 04:09:19 pm »
C'est très cool indeed! I love the internal detail you gave it, and I can't wait to blow its planet up in a couple years.  ;D
"25 legged tentacles with arms coming from thier arses don't interest me in the least (if that's your definition of originality)." ~Me

Offline Cdr_Cherel

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 04:58:16 am »
Thanks for the comments!

C'est très cool indeed! I love the internal detail you gave it, and I can't wait to blow its planet up in a couple years. ;D

They may not seem to be a real threat, as the Loricentii are peaceful beings. But don't expect it to be so easy. Evolution did not gave them a full armor for nothing.
They learn about its efficiency by experience, so Loricentii philosophy when it comes to warfare, is "defense is the key" as the army who wins is the last one standing. This can be seen too in the shapes of their vehicles and buildings, as a rounded shape is more likely to stand a hit and not be deformed than any other.
As soon as they realized galactic warfare was a threat, their planet was fortified both with underwater defenses and orbital stations. In addition, their Oxygen Research Stations (floating, huge balloon-like cites used by loricentii as a spacedock for these alien ships which may not be able to work underwater and as a neutral ground for newcomers to trade while keeping Loricentii cities safe and secret) are heavily armed. Obviously, while their weapons are nothing worth mentioning, metal, carbon and multilayer armors, and the recently discovered gravity shielding -still in the testing phase, which may result in a failure-, are the pride of loricentii military.

So, the Loricentii are not as deadly as the Torpals, but they are far from being defenseless.

The loricentii, while being a space fairing race, have not meet many races yet, although they capitalize exploration with their huge UFO, which is more like a traveling community than a small scout vessel. The Loricenti are as their armor seems to indicate, heavily defensive, and not very aggressive, as they expand as they need to, without any will for conquest.

I had drawings of all these things in the making, but I'm really busy with university, so you will have to wait, if you want to see them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:55:19 am by Cdr_Cherel »
It's not anger what makes us strong, but determination.
And determination doesn't require rage, only faith.

Do you know the Loricentii? Cdr_Cherel's creature. Have a look at it!
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=4464.0

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 07:36:30 am »
Wow, well thought out! Just one question though: how do they make metal? It seems a bit difficult under water...

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 06:03:48 am »
... I'm sueing for copyright infringement... Unless this is a tribute... In which case I'm still angry.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 09:10:59 am »
Nicely done write up and creature. The drawings are really good. Another creature artist joins the ranks.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 09:23:05 am »
... I'm sueing for copyright infringement... Unless this is a tribute... In which case I'm still angry.
Lorcentii is very similar to Axelgears more established creature's name. Off the top of my head, Loricatii.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 10:30:11 am »
don't beat me for this but...i never noticed
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline nuclearchinchila

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 12:22:35 pm »
I have to say this is on of the best thought-out and well-designed races on these forums.  The explanations for their spaceships, oxygen farms, buildings and everything are superb!  Great job.

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 12:50:28 pm »
Wow great job, the drawings are great, and the kind of biological cut-outs of the creature are a really good idea. I like the way they keep warm as well.

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0