Author Topic: Ideas, Suggestions, Rants, Discussion, Speculation on Spore *Updated*  (Read 10715 times)

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Alright, since we seem to be THE Spore community, let's pitch in and start coming up with some ideas for features and gameplay additions that would enhance the experience for all of us. Of course this topic will flourish after Steve's podcast, but we can still go ahead and start right? If Steve's invitiation to the interview with Will meant anything, it is that Will is watching this forum, and our ideas and suggestions could matter. Besides, this will let us vent our anticipation for this game in a very constructive manner. Ready? Go!

...I'll post some ideas later, and get some from my other posts, right now, let's see what you guys think.

EDITL Updated for Steve's new info.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 07:59:51 pm by Tal »

There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas, Suggestion, Rants about Spore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 03:10:48 pm »
ok here my idea: organic weapontry. I will have a bee gun and snarks ( snarks :) ! I just love saying that), also I would genitly mod creaters into killing machines that I will rain down on to the un suspecting citys of others! MUHAHAHAHA

but still if I were will I would alow the possablity of the later of the three and if all possible the first two

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 03:16:01 pm »
Well,
Steve seems to be excited, and mentioning all the cool aspects of the game...
So, I pretty much have faith in this game. Evolution, creature modeling, etc, it all seems pretty darn nice.
I'm gonna bet that you can have multiple space ships (which was my only really big concern) so I'm pretty comfortable right now.
The only thing that would just add icing to the cake would be to increase the player accountability.
I guess what I mean is, if I was exploring and had a tendency to wipe out planets, I'd like other races to start fearing me.

I really suppose I just want the AI actions, and interations (especially at the galactic level), to seem plausible.
Wars of culture would be an awesome example. If the AI is advanced enough to handle that, I think I'd be one happy guy...
Silver_Kiwi

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 03:20:06 pm »
Hmm, so if you go around blowing up planets like a trigger-happy madman, other species will fear you as Silver Kiwi, The Planet Blower-Upper? Or if I went around making peace with all other cultures, then even warlike beings will give me a chance? That is an awesome concept...

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2005, 03:20:25 pm »
 I never thought of that. its a pretty good point, man this just makes me want to posdcast more :)

edit: this was about Silver Kiwi's idea

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 03:54:24 pm »
I guess the only other thing I can think of would be the abilty to customize certain members of your species.
Somehow make a certain creature of yours the "leader."
Pretty obvious dynamics in the tribal stage, but it would be great to have things like social classes in the city stage.
Nothing fancy, maybe just 'leader,' 'high grand warriors,' 'everyone else.'
Again, realistic AI would be pretty cool for something like this...
If I land on a planet and the first thing I do is find the leader and kill him... well, I suppose the high grand warriors wouldn't be too happy... ;)

I dunno, random ideas like this would just add some detail to the game, make your species feel even more unique.
Silver_Kiwi

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 05:25:51 pm »
Very true. Assuming that your critters have varying stats within the norms you set for them in the multi-cell stage, you could pick the best of them and elevate him to the status of leader. But this could have cool game effects, such as, picking a strong leader would make your creatures pretty independent of you, and they might not follow orders well. Pick a weak leader, and the species becomes entirely and wholly yours. Imagine killing the leader of Kiwi's aforementioned planet, then elevating the weakest (mentally) of the warriors to leader and having your race establish a puppet regime in the newly-lead government.

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 05:38:03 pm »
I suggest that they add a way to make different parts of your creature lighter of heavier or somehow change your creatures center of balance (without adding or taking away actual parts of the creature).
This would allow you to have more control over how your creature moves. It would be an important feature if, for example, you wanted to recreate a character from a cartoon in the game and have it move the way it does in the show (even if it wouldn't move that way in real life). You could change the creatures weight distribution or center of balance so that it would move closer to the way you wanted it to instead of in a realistic way.

It seems like the development team wants you to be able to create anything you want in the editor so hopefully they include a features to allow for some of our less realistic ideas.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 05:46:26 pm by Bios Revision »

Offline Pir0

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Dolphin Rave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 05:38:37 pm »
To be able to kind of make your own system of government :D!

I would make weird laws like if any of my Oreo species steals they will be dunked in milk, split in half, then eaten by a giant head called Steve.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 06:11:45 pm »
Some of you guys seem to be on to something very interesting.
The whole bit about your populace of creatures having somewhat varying stats and only picking the best reminds me of natural selection.
A big part of the evolutionary process is natural selection, though I think that's uaually in mating. In this instance, I think it would be interesting if you had to manage mating within your civilization slightly (I'm assuming that's how population builds, or perhaps it just steadily increases with houses).
Do you see a small family of creatures with absolutely no potential? Feed them to the volcano. Keep only the best and potentially strongest for the roughest, toughest army. Or whatever you're into.
Want the smartest? Remove all the more brutish types.

Of course, there's the whole deal about keeping the creature files small. Adding stats to creatures would probably put it up a bit. Probably not much... don't know. Again, I know little about programming.
But besides that, who says the creatures have to retain stats when uploaded? Randomize it every time within limits.

I think that'd be interesting. Doesn't sound very likely to be another one of Spore's many details, but whatever.
For the thread.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 06:33:22 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Zoston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 07:01:41 pm »
Oooh, I really like the idea of being able to manipulate induviduals of your race. I think it would be loads of fun creating a hierarchy, could be simple to. In B&W2 there's a naming well that let's you turn normal random citizen into important ones, I'm thinking you can do the same in Spore. And then once a creature is named you can call up this little menu where you have all these little icons of each creature with their names, and you can move them around and attach lines to them saying "is subservient to", "Is the master off" or "is equal to" and then you could name the actual ranks yourself and design special 'uniforms' for them. And you could then watch your creatures as they would go around reporting to each other according to the hierarchy. So if you made this very strange round table hierarchy you'd see them constantly going to each other and nothing would ever get done. While with a simple pyramid one you'd see all your creatures worshipping the one leader. ^o^
You'd ofcourse also have the ability to asign things like command over certain militarial platoons or over the church/temple or even your entire nation's commerce. I'd love to see something like that. ^o^

Crazy? Yes, but in a good way  ::)

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 07:05:53 pm »
That is pretty awesome. Being able to influence your creatures' culture would be cool. Then, as you conquer the world with your species, you could write it down and eventually have an entire book of stories based on things seen in the game. Integrate my litte writing box, and these stories could be shared with everyone that encounters them.

In the Wired article, Will mentioned something about aquiring new civilizations. Maybe that means you can enslave the other species or cause them to join your side? It would be very neat to have control of civilizations developed by the computer. Then you could sort of warp their culture to resemble yours, very neat idea.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 07:36:38 am »
Here's another one. Believe it or not, I had a dream about this. (Yay, Spore dream.)

How about some kind of really suped up boss-like creature somewhere on the planet? Could be underwater, or somewhere on land.
The boss creature would maybe have a randomly generated appearance but within certain requirements so that it is big and pretty strong.
It would take a fair sized army of troops and/or vehicles to take it town. When killed, it could give you a resource reward or powerup or secret tech or whatever.
I mean, imagine FFX's Earth Eater somewhere on your planet. You build far away from it for now but make sure it doesn't approach. When you have enough troops and tanks, go knock him on his ass and feast on his brains.
Maybe the boss could even be a super genmodded version of someone else's creature, put through some kind of "boss filter" as it downloads.
I figure there could be one per planet, or every few planets. Or something. Eh.

Just rambling there.

Also, how about little hidden treasure caches around the planet? I don't know how deep the water goes on planets, but if it goes down into underwater canyons, you could have a heck of a time exploring and finding little treasure or resource bonuses. Or maybe they'd be up on top of a mountain somewhere. Or in a forest. I figure they could just be wherever, a few of them generated only once.
I know there only seems to be a money resource, but... maybe they could get a thing that makes your creatures extra happy for a while? Temporary powerups? Secret tech?

Yeah, just more rambling. Elaborating on insane ideas from dreams can be difficult.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 01:56:31 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Ameg

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 12:02:19 pm »
I wonder if different individuals of the same species could evolve seperatly. My first guess would be yes because during the GDC demo, Will's city was attacked by another civilization of his same creature (right?). We also know that other tribes of the same creature exist. I wonder what sort of fun we could have with this with the UFO. Abduct a herd of a species and divide them onto two different planetary environments to see the different turn outs. Then put them back togethor and see what happens.  :D

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2005, 01:07:17 pm »
Here's an idea, how about having the ability to betow upon your creatures natural abilities in the multicellular stage? Regeneration would be cool, it would make your critter heal faster and make infantry in the city stage more durable. I read an article about the giant octopus and how it will eat its own tentacles sometimes in times of captivity or stress. So, abilities could have behavioral effects. For example, you abduct one of my landsquids and check on it it captivity and it might be chewing on its tentacles or something. Or when you're laying siege to their landsquid capitol, the normal citizens panic and begin biting themselves in the stressful state. Just a thought.