Author Topic: "With that being said....."  (Read 17411 times)

Offline WhiskeyKnight

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
"With that being said....."
« on: May 13, 2006, 03:51:04 pm »
Okay Steve, I like your show and everything but you've got to cool it on the "With that being said....." thing you do about every two minutes. It is seriously getting on my nerves. You say "With that being said....." literally about 15 times a show. For whatever reason it was especially bad in these e3 podcasts. The thing is, you use it so often, but you don't even use it correctly.  "With that being said....." is generally used as a prefix to some sort of criticism or praise, with the intention of qualifying. Essentially it is used to soften the impact of of whatever comes immediately after the phrase is used.

Example: "Crysis had the best realtime graphics I've ever seen. With that being said.....the gameply is pretty mediocre for an FPS in 2006."

Anyway I like your show, you do some of the best interviews of any gaming podcast on the net, but just chill on the "With that being said" thing.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Re: "With that being said....."
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 03:58:19 pm »
Geez, Everybody has this sort of tick when explaining their thoughts and ideas. Will Wright has "Um.." Steve has "With that being said..." I have "Now..." many teens have "Like..." Some professors have "Well..."

Your definition of that phrase is one single use for it, it is also used to change topics (the way GS does).

example: "I thought the Wii had fantastic launch titles. With that being said, lets talk about Sony's PS3 and its new controller."

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 04:00:47 pm »
Everyone has something they say alot, its not that big a deal. Lighten up on poor Steve. ;) He's a busy busy guy.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 04:13:15 pm »
Whoa, settle down. Doing a Podcast isn't as easy as you think, and a phrase that somebody repeats a lot is the least of their concerns.

You know, I don't get people like you. The ones who go up to somebody and say "Oh, I like all the work you've done. Except for this thing." And then go on and on about why they disliked that one thing.

Why did you even waste the time to sign up for an account merely to criticise Steve for saying "With that being said"?

Offline Rizniik

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Taeknahdian Space Intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 04:14:01 pm »
Everyone has something they say alot, its not that big a deal. Lighten up on poor Steve.  ;) He's a busy busy guy.

Don't forget  cool cool guy

And i like him saying that,  it fits to his personallity.

All Hail STEVE!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 04:17:47 pm by Rizniik »

Offline WhiskeyKnight

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 04:21:09 pm »
Just offering some constructive criticism.

Didn't realize that was so offensive.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 04:39:43 pm »
I apologize for going to much on the offense.

But I don't feel like that was exactly constructive criticism, since it doesn't really affect the quality of the show much. I realize that opinions may vary, though, so I'm sorry for my reply.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 04:47:00 pm »

For both Whiskey and Sensei!

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 05:43:37 pm »
Geez, Everybody has this sort of tick when explaining their thoughts and ideas. Will Wright has "Um.." Steve has "With that being said..." I have "Now..." many teens have "Like..." Some professors have "Well..."

Your definition of that phrase is one single use for it, it is also used to change topics (the way GS does).

example: "I thought the Wii had fantastic launch titles. With that being said, lets talk about Sony's PS3 and its new controller."

They creator of GT: HD (Who ever was doing it at the Sony keynote)
Kept saying the equivalent to "um" after almost ever word he said. I don't speak his language, but I still noticed it

People just do things like this to give them time to think, even Steve. Its better then dead air when they collect there thoughts

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 08:04:48 pm »
I do realize that I sometimes say certain phrases a bit too often, and I try to resist saying those phrases...

With that being said (oh I couldn't resist) try doing a show after walking on your feet for 10 hours straight, carrying several pounds of recording equipment, interviewing people on-the-fly, on a show floor that is so loud that you can't hear yourself talk after only a few hours of sleep. Yes it is fun playing video games, but fighting through a crowd of 60,000+ people while trying to do all of this is exhausting, so I might repeat myself a bit.

If you feel that you can do better, please do so. Otherwise I will do my best to try to not repeat that particular phrase too often.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Rizniik

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Taeknahdian Space Intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 02:17:03 am »
I do realize that I sometimes say certain phrases a bit too often, and I try to resist saying those phrases...

With that being said (oh I couldn't resist) try doing a show after walking on your feet for 10 hours straight, carrying several pounds of recording equipment, interviewing people on-the-fly, on a show floor that is so loud that you can't hear yourself talk after only a few hours of sleep. Yes it is fun playing video games, but fighting through a crowd of 60,000+ people while trying to do all of this is exhausting, so I might repeat myself a bit.

If you feel that you can do better, please do so. Otherwise I will do my best to try to not repeat that particular phrase too often.

I say keep it up Steve. I as many others love your work!!!

Keep it up buddy

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 11:35:25 am »

Kept saying the equivalent to "um" after almost ever word he said. I don't speak his language, but I still noticed it

People just do things like this to give them time to think, even Steve. Its better then dead air when they collect there thoughts

Was it Japanese? Eto... and Ano... are the japanese er... and um....

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 11:36:45 am »
GULAG!

Sorry Steve, thats my new favorite word.  :)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 06:30:10 pm »

Was it Japanese? Eto... and Ano... are the japanese er... and um....

Yeah, it was in japanese. I'm not sure what he was saying, just that he said it ever 5 sec. Go re watch the sony keynote (if you can, lol)

Offline mik

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • The Fanboys
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 07:58:19 pm »
GULAG!
LOL. Yeah, that was pretty amusing last episode.

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 10:25:06 pm »
Podcasting is hard work, I just got started myself, thanks to quite a few people for inspiring me. Sometimes, "comfort" words just come out. I think Steve has a fantastic podcast, and has some of the "most realistic views" on the gaming industry. Granted I don't agree with every word Steve says, I think, that he has a great and informative show. It's better than half of these other podcasts, where people think thier opinion is the only one that matters. For example (I won't mention names) "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII think that this is the best game, because IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII have a podcast." You all know those types ;)

Gaming Steve is the best gaming podcast, bar none, whether or not I agree with him or his guests on all points. Keep up the good work Steve, and thanks for the inspiration :)

I'll end on this note

Like Pilot said, GULAG is the best word, ever.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 09:00:27 am »
I use 'That said' as a transitional phrase much the same way that Steve uses 'With that being said," and I recognize that I use it often even in posts on here. The reason I do it is simple: It's a transitional phrase. And it's better to make it sound more rational than simply going 'um' and so forth, which is sloppy in verbal discourse; and there are many others that can be used in text that aren't nearly as satisfactory at getting across the transition.

And yes, Japanese use 'ano' a LOT. I used to hear that hundreds of times a day to the point that I sometimes catch myself doing it.

Offline NRG753

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 06:52:47 am »
hahahah thanks to this thread, he's now self-conscious about it :D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 06:58:18 am by NRG753 »

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 07:06:29 am »
hahahah thanks to this thread, he's now self-conscious about it :D

I know, he counted the whole show.

I didn't mind it in the first place, every broadcaster who does a "radio" show uses transitional words that help him/her collect thier thoughts. I started cracking up when he commented on it. It's ok Steve, if you ever quit saying with that being said, it will be a sad, sad, day for computer speakers, and iPods/mp3 players everywhere.

Offline interman

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 01:34:07 am »
etcetera, not ekcetera.

I still love you though.

Offline banaapje

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 08:44:46 pm »
I reckon it's an "internetborn" virus, because after listening after a couple of his shows I found myself using the same cursed phrase...

With that being said, I quiet enjoy using it ;)

Offline Bkeela

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 05:05:13 pm »
I don't mind Steve's idiosyncrasies one bit.  People with the gift of the gab like Steve depend upon many superfluous phrases and cliches.  It lubricates and pads out what they speak.  The show would only be ten minutes long if he used language in a strictly efficient manner.

Brits and their love of the word 'literally' is abused often.  Most cases the word is not needed at all within its context.

Offline Dragon_Reborn

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
    • AxI Studios
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2006, 07:57:13 pm »
It is seriously getting on my nerves.
Who cares?
Luke Smith of 1up Yours: "The road the Fanatsy land is paved in virgin's blood."

JOIN AXISTUDIO'S FORUMS!