Author Topic: Is the PS3 the new DS?  (Read 20192 times)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
Is the PS3 the new DS?
« on: May 13, 2006, 06:00:09 am »
Ok, Ok, I've read A LOT of Sony bashing (And I agree with a lot of it)

But I thought I would play devils advocate, and ask: "Are we wrong?"

Steve touched on this a little in his last pod cast. Everyone thought the DS would fail, but it did great. Do you think there is any chance that PS3 might turn out to be the next DS underdog story?

Or do you think we were all right the 1st time, and Sony will get knocked of their throne?

Step back from your camps and think about it

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
Re: Is the PS3 the new DS?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 06:28:02 am »
No, is still my response.

Nothing of what they're doing is innotive or original.  It's all taken from either Nintendo or Microsoft, and in most of these cases, offers a vastly stripped down version for a much greater price.  They're not doing something like Nintendo is by completely reinventing the control scheme, they're doing a tilt sensitive controller, ala Kirby's tilt and tumble on the GBA.  Is it original?  No.  Is it going to be fun to use?  Probably not.  I could see it maybe being useful for flight sims, but what they showed of it looked clunky and difficult to use, even if a lot of games did offer an option to do something with it, I doubt I would even ever use it.

But I don't think any of this is going to affect Sony anyway, they have their legion of fans that will buy it no matter what, for any price.  But this certainly isn't anything like the DS were they were offering a completely new game experience.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 08:15:54 am »
Well... the DS wasn't 600 bucks... it was priced so that enough people could buy it to make it a success....

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 10:15:27 am »
The PS3 is not the underdog... 

Offline Damned_Zombie

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 10:36:58 am »
...the PS3 is the hotdog.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 11:50:58 am »
I personally thought that the DS would succeed. And, I was right, with good reason too.

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 02:33:09 pm »

According to forums, they are

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 02:45:35 pm »
The DS was never the underdog. It was made by the company that has owned the handheld games market since it was first devised.

PS3 is in a slightly similar position, but Sony's knowledge of console games isn't as extensive as Nintendo's knowledge of handhelds. Plus, the PS3 lacks the things that made the DS such a success - a low price tag and lots of innovation - and instead embodies the things that made the PSP fare significantly worse than it - a high price tag, and a lack of innovation.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Fink

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 02:50:43 pm »
Ok, Ok you win. And I'm on your side

I just wanted to post this so I have my bases covered in the one in a million chances the PS3 does everything they say it will  :P

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 03:22:20 pm »
We will have to wait and see.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Engineer

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 04:19:37 pm »
This forum has such tunnel vision.  I think a lot of other forums on this subject do, too.  We all seem to be completely convinced that the PS3 sucks, sony gaming will die, and nintendo and Xbox will just split the remains.  I mean, I think that too...but come on.  Sony may lose a little ground due to bad decisions.  But, seriously folks, they're not going anywhere.  I think the PS3 will do just fine.  It just may not be as dominating as the PS2 was.
Never Stop Inventing.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 04:21:36 pm »
Most people think that Sony will probably come out on top this generation again. But lose a lot of ground to Microsoft and Nintendo.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 05:05:16 pm »
This forum has such tunnel vision.  I think a lot of other forums on this subject do, too.  We all seem to be completely convinced that the PS3 sucks, sony gaming will die, and nintendo and Xbox will just split the remains.  I mean, I think that too...but come on.  Sony may lose a little ground due to bad decisions.  But, seriously folks, they're not going anywhere.  I think the PS3 will do just fine.  It just may not be as dominating as the PS2 was.

Don't insult the forums man. We're all rational human beings.

I'm sure that only the serious Sony fans will get a PS3. By the time it comes out everyone will have already gotten an Xbox 360 and a Wii for a much cheaper price. I'm also sure that only a select few will be impressed with Blue Ray and HD DVD techs, but that won't make the majority of the people in the USA spend up to $600 (not including games/controllers/memory cards/what have you) on a game console, especially considering that the major market for games are kids and young adults. Anyone remember when they had like $700+ to blow on video games growing up?

Sony has pretty much given up on gamers and went for the "we're a household multimedia" and is mostly targetting people who want a swiss army knife for a rediculous price, and has pretty much tried to skip an entire generation in the gaming market. How can you expect to market HD DVD and Blue Tooth when pretty much no one has it and it won't catch on for a few years?

And did anyone notice any big difference between The PS3's graphics and the Xbox 360's graphics this year? Me either.

I rest my case.

P.S. Some of the good news is that there is a lot less console-exclusive stuff this year, so if you are looking forward to the PS3, or if you want an Xbox 360 or a Wii, there's a pretty good chance that if it's third party it might get onboard all systems. Especially if it's from EA. =)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 05:09:13 pm by Jecrell »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 10:32:02 pm »
Sony wont die there really are enough people out there that will in fact sony into the gates of hell if sony choose to lead them there. They will take a hit maybe come the generation after this they may wise up and try and undo the mistakes they made then again maybe they wont and before you know it they are where Nintendo was with the Gamecube trying to scratch out an existance on what IP's they have and with so much stuff going cross platform that wont be much. Still sony wont be unseated any time soon be a long time before Sony fall they are that power they will probably learn from there mistakes before it kills them.

Still the Nintendo fanboy in me can still dream.

Offline mini.boss

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 11:54:44 pm »

According to forums, they are

Assumptions like this are so rediculous. What did you do, read 2 negative posts about the PS3 price and then form the idea that everyone on the forum thinks the PS3 will fai based on thatl?  This is just like the Wii name fiasco, just because someone complains about a product doesn't mean they don't think its not worth owning. People may question the price but the PS3 will succeed just fine.

As for the DS. The idea of it being the "underdog" was completely media created. Lets get real, the chances of a $150 game system with franchises like Mario, Metroid, Pokemon or Zelda actually "failing" is next to impossible.

Seriously, don't get so suckered by peoples emotions. Blanket statements based off one guy's complaint just ends up pissing off the rational people.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 08:10:51 am by mini.boss »