Author Topic: Episode 48 Posted  (Read 3529 times)

Offline Dr Dozzy

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Episode 48 Posted
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:37:38 pm »
Today I have a real treat as I finally managed to figure out a way to mix boardgames with video games as I got a chance to sit down and chat with Mark Kaufmann, Vice-President of Days of Wonder and makers of several successful boardgames as well as the new the Ticket to Ride: The Computer Game.

Mark and I talk about how he got into this business, what it takes to startup a boardgame company in North America, why they're jumping into the computer game market, as well as much more. Enjoy!

Gaming Steve Episode 48 Program
  • 00:04:57 Interview with Mark Kaufmann from Days of Wonder, makers of many boardgames as well as the Ticket to Ride: The Computer Game.
  • 00:50:43 It's the same old story ... so many games, so little time.

Get the Podcast from this page (54 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 48 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 06:00:17 am by Gaming Steve »

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 48 Posted
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 12:57:57 pm »
When I posted episode 47 on the forums it looked better, j/k  ;)

I've been thinking about trying that Ticket to Ride game ever since he did a review. I like board games

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
  • If we can dream it, we can do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 01:43:00 am »
Fantastic Episode Steve, really interesting, one of your best episodes.
Of course some people here are not that interested in board games, but as your show is called GamingSteve and not VideoGamingSteve I think a bit of board game coverage is a good idea. I hope you can get another interview with someone in the boardgame industry.
I will definitly buy Ticket to Ride (or Zug um Zug as it's called here and the Z is pronounced like a ts sound ;) ), should've bought it long ago, but somehow I still haven't ;)
I would really like to check out the PC/Mac game, but I run Linux :(
I hope you can relax a bit at the moment, because as we all know, Eł is just around the corner ;)
Life, don't talk to me about life.
                 -Marvin, the paranoid android

Offline cptrootbeer

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 06:00:08 am »
From your logo:  GamingSteve.com games, life, everything.

I think you did well with this show.  I know some people only like video games, but I don't mind when you put board games in there.  It is still quite interesting.  The Days of Wonder approach to computer games is also unique enough to warrent special attention.

Offline Kyle_1223

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Was adopted by PatMan33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 09:56:39 pm »
I love how steve talks about Oblivion, i also listen to Chatterbox and they dont talk about oblivion. Keep up the oblivion talk steve!

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
  • If we can dream it, we can do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 02:34:53 pm »
Soo I played a few online matches on daysofwonder.com (it's free hooray !) and this game (even the slow, soundless, not working that well with dial-up Java game) is awesome !
I just won my first game online and will buy the board game (though I don't know which edition to get, any suggestions ?) and probably the PC game tomorrow. It's addicting, it's intense, it's always different and it doesn't take long to finish one game.
Everything you said about this game is right Steve !
If you want to have a closer look at the board game head over to boardgameswithscott.com, a fun video-blog thingy and check out episodes 11 and 14. Scott explains the rules and what he thinks is so great about this game.
I hope Steve can tell us something about his favorite board games besides Ticket to Ride in a future episode :D
Thank you Steve, for showing me this great game and bringing me back to board games.
Life, don't talk to me about life.
                 -Marvin, the paranoid android

Offline Thetyrant

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
    • Ashen Empires
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:17:52 am »
*first post*

Its been a long time since i have played board games... Settlers of Catan was totally my gateway to board/card games. And it is still my favorite board game. There was even the german space game that the same company did. But i cant remember the name. But im busting out settlers this weekend to play.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 11:37:12 am »
Welcome to the fora!

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 03:50:22 pm »
I bought the CD version of Ticket to Ride and I love the game. Thanks for the review and the recommendation Steve. I wrote my own little review about it too:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=4548.msg136094#msg136094