Author Topic: Maxis Printing Service! (idea)  (Read 15420 times)

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
Re: Maxis Printing Service! (idea)
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 01:32:40 pm »
Cool would be if you had a profile name. And then when u get a card it says: Created by: Detoxicated
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 01:36:51 pm »
Cool would be if you had a profile name. And then when u get a card it says: Created by: Detoxicated

And if you could add your own backstory to the creature.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 01:38:47 pm »
You can print them on your own!
GameSpy: Still PC only?

WW: Well, actually we are going to go on all platforms, but we will come out on PC first. We will even come out on cell phones and stuff. One of the things in the game is that as you go around and encounter things… creatures and plants, or whatever, you make trading cards of each thing. That is the metaphor for the database -- trading cards. So you can collect your cards. You can print them out. You can now play your own card game. That might be like the cell phone part. That stuff is so light. It's more about collectability as opposed to interaction. Every creature in the PC game is three or four megabytes. But the cards, that is the database that the player is building.
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2006, 01:41:30 pm »
How would that hurt the community? On other games can you print out cards? No. Then why should they HAVE to let you print out cards in Spore?
It limits the creative freedom of the user. I'm might want to print out card with extra text or modify them in a other way.

The community get hurt actually in several ways. First we you must understand that a community may potential to grow and express new ideas is what i value. So anything that limits any of this thing accrual hurt the community in depend of want other community's allready have. But i can somewhat understand if you do no like to express you self creatively. You might find you think you ar not good enough or simply to lazy to do anything. That OK. But i do no think that is should have any effect on how other want to use Spore.

And even if you can not print your own card from the game it would just be a artificial limitation. Print Screen could easily be use as a work around the no print limitation. So in the end it would only hurt the majority of players that do no know that mush about computers.

For me the biggest reason why i do not like the idea of a "EA printing monopoly" is that it conveys the message that you are not smart enough or trustworth enough to use this tool.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 01:54:03 pm by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 01:42:27 pm »
You can print them on your own!
GameSpy: Still PC only?

WW: Well, actually we are going to go on all platforms, but we will come out on PC first. We will even come out on cell phones and stuff. One of the things in the game is that as you go around and encounter things… creatures and plants, or whatever, you make trading cards of each thing. That is the metaphor for the database -- trading cards. So you can collect your cards. You can print them out. You can now play your own card game. That might be like the cell phone part. That stuff is so light. It's more about collectability as opposed to interaction. Every creature in the PC game is three or four megabytes. But the cards, that is the database that the player is building.

Oh, right, I did read that. Thanks for the quote. So yeah, Will states that not only can you print them out and put them on a cell phone, but also that there is actually a card game behind it.

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2006, 02:02:18 pm »
How would that hurt the community? On other games can you print out cards? No. Then why should they HAVE to let you print out cards in Spore?
It limits the creative freedom of the user. I'm might want to print out card with extra text or modify them in a other way.

The community get hurt actually in several ways. First we you must understand that a community may potential to grow and express new ideas is what i value. So anything that limits any of this thing accrual hurt the community in depend of want other community's allready have. But i can somewhat understand if you do no like to express you self creatively. You might find you think you ar not good enough or simply to lazy to do anything. That OK. But i do no think that is should have any effect on how other want to use Spore.

And even if you can not print your own card from the game it would just be a artificial limitation. Print Screen could easily be use as a work around the no print limitation. So in the end it would only hurt the majority of players that do no know that mush about computers.

For me the biggest reason why i do not like the idea of a "EA printing monopoly" is that it conveys the message that you are not smart enough or trustworth enough to use this tool.

Yes but what I'm saying is that not being able to print doesn't take away any creative freedom, you never had any creative freedom to print anything in other games. If Spore didn't have the creature editor then there would be no creativity involved whatsoever so dont think of not being able to print creatures as a limit to creative freedom, but think of the ability too print them as a way to enhance your creative freedom. Face it too, most people would not be able to make quality prints of the cards.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2006, 02:23:30 pm »
That argument dose not hold. You could take away everthing from spore and give the player a empty box. But no one would buy and their would be no community. So you see by limiting the freedom the player have you will actually hurt the community even if no other game gives you that freedom.

(Note that a empty box can be a wounderfull tool for expressing you creativity but if i want a box i buy a box. No some game made by EA that claimers is a full game.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2006, 02:43:07 pm »
Nobody is forcing Maxis to even have cards. What if somebody made a really good videogame where you could build awesome castles and such and then have  the company ship you a scale model of it for a fee, would you be upset that you cant print out the blueprints yourself? No because you still made the damn castle in the game and they could do a better job building the castle then you could.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 02:48:01 pm »
What if i can make it cheaper?

Can you tell me why a monopoly is good for the consumer?
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 02:50:35 pm »
How is them able to sell something thats theirs a monopoly?

Lets just forget about the whole them not letting us print thing and say they gave us the choice to print it ourselves or buy packs of cards at stores with random cards and order custom cards for a bit more money from maxis. After realising the quality of the cards that Maxis prints, only stupid people who think their "indy" would print the cards.

Offline Oberic

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2006, 03:02:22 pm »

The cards in the spore video that has Robin Williams.. Will Wright talked a little about the cards in the sporepedia and he pointed at the bottom of the card that looks kinda like a willosaurus. the card had a player name at the bottom, it was.. Jenna *something*. So yes, your creations will have your name attached.

And he said things about being able to use the sporepedia cards for a card game, so we'll see what happens when it happens.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2006, 03:07:06 pm »
How is them able to sell something thats theirs a monopoly?

Lets just forget about the whole them not letting us print thing and say they gave us the choice to print it ourselves or buy packs of cards at stores with random cards and order custom cards for a bit more money from maxis. After realising the quality of the cards that Maxis prints, only stupid people who think their "indy" would print the cards.
So is theirs? That your argument? It was not they how made the creatures and objects. It was players! Sure the players used their tools but that dose not make it players creatures the property of Maxis or EA. If anyone own the Copyright is should be the player not the company that makes the tools!

And you also assuming that the printing quality the player use is so mush worse then what EA can provide. I may have a very good printer that may compeat with what EA have compared to quality. Or i might find someone who can do the job cheaper then EA with the same or better quality. And what happens if EA discontinue the production? Where shall i get my cards then? What about EA not printing the cards i want (Witch would probably be the creatures and objects i have made my self) what then?

And let make my self clear. I'm not against EA provining the severice of printing card. But i am against them limiting thins so that only they can do it!
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline J3rkfish

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2006, 03:10:57 pm »
After realising the quality of the cards that Maxis prints, only stupid people who think their "indy" would print the cards.

Or people who dont want to waste their money.

At the end of the day a card is just a piece of paper with information on it. If I were to get into the card game and I had two options:

1) Go out to the store and spend money for a Spore Booster Pack with X amount of cards. OR
 2) Hit the print button and get twice as many cards for free in less time then it would take to go to the store.

I'm pretty sure I, and many others would go for option 2, especially if pritned cards work in game, which the WW quote seems to support.
I personally don't see the big whoop about the card game. I'll be too busy creating creatures, worlds and managing galaxies to get excited over a trading card game.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2006, 03:13:32 pm »
I think the card are more a fun idea. A idea that can be ruined by big biz.  >:(
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2006, 03:14:45 pm »
So is theirs? That your argument? It was not they how made the creatures and objects. It was players! Sure the players used their tools but that dose not make it players creatures the property of Maxis or EA. If anyone own the Copyright is should be the player not the company that makes the tools!
They could easily put something in the end user agreement when you install the game.

And you also assuming that the printing quality the player use is so mush worse then what EA can provide. I may have a very good printer that may compeat with what EA have compared to quality.
This game isn't meant for people with freaking printing presses in their houses, people who buy this game are most likely casual gamers.

Or i might find someone who can do the job cheaper then EA with the same or better quality. And what happens if EA discontinue the production? Where shall i get my cards then? What about EA not printing the cards i want (Witch would probably be the creatures and objects i have made my self) what then?
What happens if EA shuts down the Spore servers? The production of anything is never permanent. As for what cards you want, I've stated several times that they would have to let you pick the ones you want custom printed as well as the ones that they put in the packs of cards.