Author Topic: Maxis Printing Service! (idea)  (Read 15837 times)

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Maxis Printing Service! (idea)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 12:23:08 pm »
Yeah because computer ink isn't made for that sort of thing.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 12:25:39 pm »
Well i hope they do not try to limit my ability to print cards or export 3D models. I think that this could severally limit the creativity of the users. Is OK to have some "official" printworks or something but it should not limit the user to do want ever he wish with his contante. I see all ready today a dangerous trend bought on by micro transactions and other interstests that try to limit modding simply because they feel that they can not make money out of it. I do not want a society where all Art and Culture is produse by a elite of copyright holders. To withhold a simple feature like card printing i think is very bad.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 12:28:07 pm »
Well i hope they do not try to limit my ability to print cards or export 3D models. I think that this could severally limit the creativity of the users. Is OK to have some "official" printworks or something but it should not limit the user to do want ever he wish with his contante. I see all ready today a dangerous trend bought on by micro transactions and other interstests that try to limit modding simply because they feel that they can not make money out of it. I do not want a society where all Art and Culture is produse by a elite of copyright holders. To withhold a simple feature like card printing i think is very bad.

They probably WONT let you do that. They could let you print the cards, or even have them print them, or package the cards and sell them in stores, but not export 3D models. Why? Because that is a tool that would need to be licenced, and if they didn't, then companies who sell their software that makes 3D models and costs thousands of dollars could possibly sue Maxis for monopolising the 3D modelling industry.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 12:32:53 pm »
They wouldn't be monopolizing anything and they wouldn't need to liscense it.  In theory they could provide it for free and nothing is wrong with that from a legal standpoint, though they might want to make some money off of it.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 12:36:11 pm »
Well lets just pretend what your saying is true. Then look how these models would make artists lazy. Every game mod that would come out would look like it was made in Spore which would get on everybodys nerves.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 12:38:45 pm »

They probably WONT let you do that. They could let you print the cards, or even have them print them, or package the cards and sell them in stores, but not export 3D models. Why? Because that is a tool that would need to be licenced, and if they didn't, then companies who sell their software that makes 3D models and costs thousands of dollars could possibly sue Maxis for monopolising the 3D modelling industry.

What? I do not get at what you are saying? Should i not develop new technology and be able to use it if can out compeat old technology? Is industry protectionist ideas like this i want to stop. If i industry can not survive because something better comes along then let it die! I am so tire of government trying to save old power structures when is really the future that need saving!
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 12:40:20 pm »
Well lets just pretend what your saying is true. Then look how these models would make artists lazy. Every game mod that would come out would look like it was made in Spore which would get on everybodys nerves.

Have you spent any time in modeling software? In making games? Videos? Movies?  Its a hard job, while this might be a useful prototyping tool, no one would use this for a final model.  Like anything else it could be a tool but there is a lot of things missing which would make it useful for a complete design outside of Spore.  While Maxis probably won't release these tools, it wouldn't hurt the industry if they did.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 12:42:50 pm »
Yokta: Umm right. What would you want to use SPORE models for in other things? The only thing I think they should be able to be used for if they can be exported is to make movies with.

mrrodgers: While I haven't spent time with any of those things, think of how many stupid people abuse things and ruin them for other people.

But anyways, BACK ON TOPIC.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 12:58:39 pm »
Yokta: Umm right. What would you want to use SPORE models for in other things? The only thing I think they should be able to be used for if they can be exported is to make movies with.
First is Yokto.  :P

Second. Yeah movies would be one use. It could be very fun to see what the community could come up with. 3D printing would also be a option (Even if most do not have the equipment.) Someone would maybe be interested in creating a game with their models.The use of this models are only limited by the creativity of the user. Who knows what creative stuff you could do with your model? If is easy to implement (And they have allready done 3D print) i see no reason why it should not be in the game.

And I'm not worry that programs like Maya will have not future. If you look at the spore you will see that it haves limitations of is own. Spore in many ways is a swissarmy knife but like a swiss army knife it not the optimal tool for every job.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 01:00:16 pm »
Sorry YoktO.

But this topic isn't really about the 3D models at all!

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 01:06:26 pm »
No is about a Maxis Printing Service. But that do ties in with the ability to export data from Spore. If EA (or Maxis) feel that they need a monopoly on the ability to print then i feel that their actually hurting the community.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 01:10:41 pm »
How would that hurt the community? On other games can you print out cards? No. Then why should they HAVE to let you print out cards in Spore?

Offline Penguin

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 01:21:53 pm »
I think it's very likely that Maxis will release official rules for the trading card game. Will Wright is too smart to not do that.

I've always like trading card games, but I never really got into them because you have to waste tons of money on buying them. Yes, games are fun, but spending so much money on a single game just to have a tiny bit more variety in your deck is just plain stupid. It's worked so far because little kids are too stupid to realize that all that money could have bought them a ton of different games rather than wasted on a single one that they'll eventually grow out of and then they just have a pile of painted pieces of paper that are good for nothing.

And that's exactly why I'm very exited about the Spore trading card game, because you don't have to buy the cards! Sure, Maxis might sell official prints, but you won't have to buy them. Even if they don't include a feature in the game to print them out, you can simply take a screenshot and print them out yourself (if you really really wanted physical cards). Will Wright's not an idiot, he knows there's no way to stop people from printing their own cards, and I doubt he would even want to. The whole point of this game is about expressing your creativity, so I think it's likely that they'll include a printing option built into the game. But, you'll definitely be able to download them into your cell phone and most likely some other mobile gaming device, like a DS or a PSP, because that'll allow you to play the card game electronically. Personally, I'd much prefer that format, and I guarantee you most people will.

And if there's people out there who for some reason believe that throwing their money away on cards is the best way to spend their money, then by all means, buy the official prints (if they do make them).

However, a physical card game version will be very limited compared to the electronic version. In case you didn't notice, there's going to be millions of planets that you can visit in Spore, which you could never finish in your entire lifetime. That means there's an endless supply of cards. How exactly do you expect to carry around a deck of 10,000 cards or more? With a handheld device, it's no problem.

Offline BobFromReboot

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 01:26:35 pm »
I think your missing the point. It wouldn't be to have every card out there. Just imagine, your collection of cards would be completely different from the collection of cards that the person your playing has.

Offline Kyyp

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Multipass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 01:28:43 pm »
The thing is, they COULD do this, but they won't.
The card system is just for telling the creatures stats/basic info.
There is no game behind it.