Author Topic: Underwater Civ Wishlist  (Read 30412 times)

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater Civ Wishlist
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 02:25:01 am »
argh, I'm gonna try not to kill anyone :P

As we can clearly see there is a water creature on the pictures Hydromancerx took from E3 and I think they are there but I'll shut up as I spent all of my day yesterday defending the cause that aquatic and flying creatures are there but still people like to be pessimistic so I'll avoid posting anything more on this topic and let the pessimistic people have their fun :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 04:18:27 am »
argh, I'm gonna try not to kill anyone :P

As we can clearly see there is a water creature on the pictures Hydromancerx took from E3 and I think they are there but I'll shut up as I spent all of my day yesterday defending the cause that aquatic and flying creatures are there but still people like to be pessimistic so I'll avoid posting anything more on this topic and let the pessimistic people have their fun :P

Dragon, we're not being pessimistic, just critical. If we all banded together and remained entirely positive about the game, we'd be pretty useless as fans.

And if you're referring to this picture:

You can see that the shark has legs...Meaning that it can both swim and walk on land. Thats the kind of life I think will exist for underwater species. Like whales, dolphins, and all other more advanced sea-life. Otherwise, players who are using aquatic creature would be at a severe disadvantage.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 05:41:39 am »
well i think that they have it in the final version but it just wasn't shown in the e3

I doubt it.
"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 05:47:00 am »
The way you people think, it's CONFIRMED that Luigi won't be in the next Smash Bros game. You're nuts.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 05:51:37 am »
The way you people think, it's CONFIRMED that Luigi won't be in the next Smash Bros game. You're nuts.

Yeah, just because they don't talk about it doesn't mean it isn't there or being developed.

"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 06:05:22 am »
But Hydro said there were flippers in the Creature Editor at E3, so maybe they įre in

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 06:37:08 am »
And we've seen creatures with fins.  It seems only natural that aquatic creatures and hence civilizations are in.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline derella

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 07:40:41 am »

Dragon, we're not being pessimistic, just critical. If we all banded together and remained entirely positive about the game, we'd be pretty useless as fans.
I don't think everyone should be sycophantic fanboys, who never question design decisions... But criticism with nothing to back it up is just silly.

Otherwise, players who are using aquatic creature would be at a severe disadvantage.
It's been stated in the past that if you made your civilization aquatic, the rest of the game would adapt to that.. So no, you wouldn't be at a disadvantage, unless that statement is no longer true.

Judging from the E3 videos...  They have taken underwater intelligence out.  It looks like our underwater experiences will be part of the cell life game/training game (as it has been reffered to).  Which is dissapointing.
There are A LOT of things that weren't shown at E3 this year... It doesn't mean they were cut from the game.

I don't think there ever really was an aquatic phase. When the willosaur from GDC '05 was living in the water, it was part of the creature phase. He just had no legs, so he lived in the ocean.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 08:25:56 am »
There aren't really any problems with aquatic civs. Underwater tanks travel like land tanks, and submarines travel like aeroplanes over the surface. Tribal might be a bit different, but not much, and if flying's in it, then swimming must be in it. It's basically the same thing(game-mechanics-wise), and since you start under-water as a fish I'd say it's safe to say some sort of underwater life is possible. Cutting it out would be a huge loss of gameplay variety compared to the little coding needed to add it.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 09:07:40 am »
I want to make a aquatic species of Squids! Sure their will probably be little diffrent from landliving civilizations but that why you want to do it. Just think how hard it must be to discover fire! I remember in Sim Earth i used to create aquatic civilsations all the time. It was fun to terraform or should i say aquaform the world to a blue gem.  ;)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 10:23:37 am »
Our civilisation is land based so its very difficult to imagine an underwater civilisation. Probably this is why they aren't ready with videos of it, this must be very unfinished.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 10:30:08 am »
I don't think its difficult to imagine at all.  But I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't seen any because the water based creature parts haven't been debugged yet.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 11:18:27 am »
Our civilisation is land based so its very difficult to imagine an underwater civilisation.

George Lucas (or/and his staff) can as you might have seen in Star Wars Episode I
This also concerning Leannain's remark on the first page of this thread:
how about the city's walls? a swimmer could just swim up and cross over the walls lol

searching for a picture...
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 11:43:50 am »
George Lucas (or/and his staff) can as you might have seen in Star Wars Episode I
This also concerning Leannain's remark on the first page of this thread:
Ar not Gungans amphibious creatures? Sure they have aquatic city's but Gungans are still in many ways land creatures in water.

Hope we can create truly Aquatic races that can not survive on land with out technology. But it will also be intersting to see how a amphibious civilization.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 11:48:24 am by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 11:45:30 am »
you'v just raised the point. . . . . how can a ufo explore underwater? does it go under or send a probe and if it goes under wouldn't it require new effects such as weapons cause water to flash boil and bubbles to appear and stuff and also, spaceships arn't designed to withstand the thousands of atmosspheres of pressure that can come when underwater, they are designed to withstand 0 to 1 atmospheres.
Never mind your own business.