Author Topic: CEO of SCEA: PS3 is about value down the line.  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
CEO of SCEA: PS3 is about value down the line.
« on: May 11, 2006, 02:57:09 pm »
I saw a private interview by gamespot with the CEO of sony computer entertainment of america and he said that PS3 is basically value down the line, and that it's going to last just as long as PS1 and PS2, which had long life spans, especially the PS1. What they are looking for with all the hardware mumbo jumbo is basically saying, that game studios haven't really had enough time to get good games out, and they are selling the console now, to catch up with Microsoft's early release, not so much giving everyone a "Holy $&!@" presentation this year.

It's definitly probable, that the 360 will have games that really takes advantange of the console before PS3 does, and the 600 dollar price tag for the better PS3 console is a downer. However, it is likely that sony will not lower the price of the console by next year E3, and that good games will come out, that are just going to be first/second gen  games for new console for the PS3, that are worth taking a look at. And their plan for the online thing... well... lets just say that Xbox will have it better no matter what..

So Sony does have a bad start... but we don't know for sure, if Microsoft's strategy to release their console earlier is going to work yet. And titles like MGS 4, and FFXIII are bound to draw at least some consumers to buy PS3, if not, both consoles.

And Nintendo? well, they have the win win situation dont they?  :P  I can see many of my friends getting a 360 or PS3, and then a Wii.

I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: CEO of SCEA: PS3 is about value down the line.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 02:59:40 pm »
So are they saying they want the PS3 to last as long as both the PS1 and the PS2 combined?

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 03:55:35 pm »
PS3 sure costs as much as they are combined  :P
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 04:01:25 pm »
Haha! Thats why I won't buy one!!!

:P

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 06:59:45 pm »
If my memory is correct I don't think PS2 dropped in price when the Xbox1 and the Cube was released. So people waiting for a price drop for the PS3, aka me, might have to wait until 2008. But at least there should be a bunch of budget titles by then.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 07:17:34 pm »
If you insist....

Offline acidic dot

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 02:24:27 am »
If your getting it for the blu-ray sure.  However, I don't care about blu-ray.  I'll get it, when it's not $600.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 11:08:16 am »
If your getting it for the blu-ray sure.  However, I don't care about blu-ray.  I'll get it, when it's not $600.

Well, you're in luck, it'll only be $599! ;)
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline BlessedBullet

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 02:16:56 pm »
Sony's assumptions have to be

• Blue-ray will be the obvious winner of the format wars before the end of the decade
  • The Cell processor is powerful and robust enough to last 5+ years
  • Their most important third party locks (Square-Enix, Kojima) will stay theirs

werechicken

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 04:18:34 pm »
That is without a doubt the biggest load of horse S*** I've ever heard!
You cannot justify charging 400 for a system by saying it'll last. The very first gameboy cost around 75 when it came out in 1989 (I'm pretty sure that's the correct price) and it was THE handheld device until about '98. THAT is value for money a system that costs 400 and will be obselete in three or four years is just the result of a cynical "If we make it they will pay, whatever the cost" policy

Offline Hiro Protagonist

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 05:24:52 pm »
Sony can talk about being future proof all they want to, but they will be ready to move shortly after their competition does if the competition moves first. If Microsoft releases a new console in say 5 years, is Sony saying they are going to lay down and let Microsoft have the following generation for 4 or 5 years before they even get started? Just so the PS3 can carry out it's promise of carrying on a longer life span? Of course they aren't.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 12:17:38 am »
I don't see blu-ray becoming a succesful format.  It's expensive and awkward.  Does anyone really want to pay a lot more money just so they can have the Lord of the Rings trilogy on one disc?  I doubt it, this isn't like the jump from VHS to DVD.  And there's almost no gaming benefits that come from using it, no game requires that kind of space, not even JRPG's that use constant CGI video, no game is going to take advantage of this, especially considering the fact almost all games are going multiplatform now and compression rates are getting better and better.  I doubt even a PS4 would need this.

That being said I don't think HD-DVD will be succesful either, but I think Microsoft was right not to give the 360 HD-DVD functionality.
Sony can say the PS3 is going to last 10+ years, but when Microsoft and Nintendo decide to release new consoles, Sony will either follow suit, or fall behind.