Author Topic: Ubisoft Dev: Red Steel Isn't about Killing People  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Ubisoft Dev: Red Steel Isn't about Killing People
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:51:47 pm »
::)

If you go to Gamespot, and look at their live on stage demo, the Ubisoft developer doing the demo has this to say:

"Killing people isn't the point of the game. Its about impressing your enemies, and sparing your enemies."

What the hell? Don't get me wrong, you don't need to kill people to make a game good, but seriously, the object of the game is to spare your enemies? Really, what is the fun in that?

Not to mention the lack of blood. You also don't need any blood to make a game great, but when I'm swordfighting a shirtless guy, I expect him to at least bleed when I slash him across the chest.

I don't know, there's still six months left for them to really make this game great, but the premise of sparing enemies as the central point of the game doesn't have me trembling with excitement.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Ubisoft Dev: Red Steel Isn't about Killing People
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 09:58:55 pm »
I don't know where I heard it (Maybe here) but Red Steel didn't look that spectacular.

They can polish it up with plenty of time to spare.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:07:59 pm »
I heard that too. Plus, I heard that the aiming was really clunky, and that lots of the "destructible enviroments" weren't destructable at all.

Not to mention the worst news, which is that in the swordfights, the sword onscreen doesn't even mimic how you move the Wii remote. So say, you do a diagnol slash with the remote, then the game will wait a couple of seconds then do a generic vertical slash. So no matter how many different vertical slashes you do, the character will always do the one same slash.

This explains it better:

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707908p1.html

"Instead of mimicking every movement of your hand (something that is done in Nintendo Baseball), Red Steel instead waits for a full action to be done with the Wii-mote, and then executes it on screen. What this means, however, is that it is simply simulating a button press. If multiple people play the sword portion, you should see multiple swipes and styles coming form the character on-screen. After all, everyone swings differently. Instead, there are only a few different swipes that will be recognized. If you swipe the Wii-mote horizontally, it will show a horizontal swipe. Attempt an upper-cut motion, however, and the action is shown as a generic up-to-down slice instead, as if you went from above your head and down. The difference here is a bit hard to explain, but it will make or break the experience. Right now motions convert to a pre-determined swipe, instead of the player actually using the Wii-mote to realistically attack with a virtual sword. The difference is huge, and it has to be tweaked."

^^and they say this is the good part of the game.  :-\

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 11:16:55 pm »
I think this is a good idea. For example, a real cop or w/e the main character is wouldn't run through the buildings shooting everything that moves! They would disable and arrest them if they can do it without serious personal harm. Or whatever.
Also, I am mostly against killing when I don't have to, although I'm fine with it in Video games, It still kind of bugs me sometimes...

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 12:03:47 am »
I think this is a good idea. For example, a real cop or w/e the main character is wouldn't run through the buildings shooting everything that moves! They would disable and arrest them if they can do it without serious personal harm. Or whatever.
Also, I am mostly against killing when I don't have to, although I'm fine with it in Video games, It still kind of bugs me sometimes...

But whats the fun in that? The main character isn't a cop. I demend more violence dammit!

One of my all time favorite games, Splinter Cell, makes killing an absolute last resort. And thats fun, because your playing as a spy, and using stealth. But Red Steel is different. Its an FPS with great control and swordplay. I just think that the point of the game being "sparing people" sounds incredibly boring, especially one where I'm able to swordfight on roofs.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 06:47:49 am »
Make your enemies bow down to you in different ways! Theirs on your knees, on your stomach, and for the vetern on your back!

Feal like a big man by pushing little guys around!

/sarcasm

(ok, that was lame, but Ive been up all night give me a break)