Author Topic: Moore hypes up Wii  (Read 3256 times)

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
Moore hypes up Wii
« on: May 11, 2006, 01:30:24 pm »
Looks like more bad news for Sony.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051100612.html

From Reuters:

Microsoft sides with Nintendo in fight vs Sony
Thu May 11, 2006 2:25 PM BST

By Daisuke Wakabayashi

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. sided with rival Nintendo Co. Ltd. <7974.OS> on Wednesday in the fight to unseat video game leader Sony Corp.<6758.T>, saying many consumers will choose to buy both of their machines for the price of one PlayStation 3.

The bad blood between Sony and Microsoft in the fight for dominance in the nearly $30 billion video game industry has escalated over the last few days, with both sides trading barbs at the E3 Expo, the video game industry's annual trade show.

Microsoft entered the next-generation game console market first with its Xbox 360 last November.

Sony aims to extend its market leadership with its upcoming PS3, while Nintendo plans to offer a new game machine called Wii in the fourth quarter.

"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3?" Peter Moore, a Microsoft vice president, said in an interview. "People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Microsoft predicted on Tuesday it will have 10 million Xbox 360 consoles in the market before Sony launches the PS3. The high-end Xbox 360 sells for $399, but it does not include a built-in high-definition DVD video player that comes with Sony's PS3.

Sony plans to sell a premium PS3 model for $599 when it debuts in North America on November 17, and Nintendo has not yet disclosed pricing for Wii.

Wii comes equipped with motion sensitive controllers to allow users to mimic the motion of wielding a sword or swinging a tennis racket.

Moore then turned pitchman for Nintendo's Wii, the latest offering from the Japanese company that once dominated the video game industry.

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.

Sony currently dominates the worldwide video game market with a 66 percent share, while Microsoft and Nintendo each hold 17 percent, according to Strategy Analytics.

"We have 100 percent market share of the next-generation, and their job is to take that from us," said Moore.

"When I think on everything that we've got going right now that is real versus what Sony promises to do six, seven months from now, obviously we feel very good about where we stand."

LOST IN TRANSLATION

Despite Microsoft's head start with the Xbox 360, the software giant still faces an uphill climb in Sony and Nintendo's home turf.

Microsoft received a tepid response to its Xbox 360 debut in Japan and demand fell short of expectations during last year's holiday season when it sold about 100,000 machines.

The company introduced a competitively priced console in Japan, but some of its game titles did not appeal to Japanese gamers. Moore expects upcoming role-playing games like "Lost Odyssey" and "Blue Dragon" from the creator of the popular "Final Fantasy" series to do well in Japan.

"Quite frankly," said Moore, "if we're sitting here a year from now and things continue to fall flat, then we might say 'we don't know what to do anymore."'

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Moore hypes up Wii
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 01:31:39 pm »
I am still a tad skeptical about this...

They have been saying it for the last two days and I am just not sure...

It would be cool though to be able to be nice to the XBots though...  :D

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 02:11:19 pm »
It's funny but it makes sense, Wii and 360 offer completely different thing, for the most part. I don't think they'll do an official partnership or anything just make random comments to the press. Look at it this way. if they could just split the PS2 user base of 100 million between the both of them they would each more then double their user base they had  last/this generation and kill a giant in the process, and that's just good business.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

gec05

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 02:46:46 pm »
That just tells me that once PS3 dies, Xbox will be next. I am vey suprised Nintendo managed to survive the market for this long. :o ;D

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 03:57:41 pm »
Horaay Nintendo.. No publicity is bad publicity!   ;D
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 08:56:51 pm »
This is good to see. Instead of Nintendo and Microsoft hacking away at Sony seperatly, they're kind of trying to bring Sony down together, sor of.

I'm really divided between the 360 and Wii. On one hand, I really want to play different kinds of games, and I love many of Nintendo's franchises, but on the other hand, I also love the way games are played now, not to mention the great third party games (GTA IV comes to mind)

Ugh, I hate it when stuff like this happens.

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 09:02:38 pm »
what's odd is when i heard the price of the ps3, and saw images of xbox games my thought was this:

i think i might actually buy a 360 along with my wii... yeah, odd. i don't think i ever was gonna' get an xbox, let alone the 360, but now i'm kinda' interested in it.

so i think this estimation is right. people who will be buying two systems will get the typical 360 and the atypical wii. few will be buying the wii and the ps3, or the 360 and the ps3.  seems the guy at my video store who said he wanted to buy two ps3s and sell one on ebay is sol. hee hee.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 10:15:44 pm »
what's odd is when i heard the price of the ps3, and saw images of xbox games my thought was this:

i think i might actually buy a 360 along with my wii... yeah, odd. i don't think i ever was gonna' get an xbox, let alone the 360, but now i'm kinda' interested in it.

so i think this estimation is right. people who will be buying two systems will get the typical 360 and the atypical wii. few will be buying the wii and the ps3, or the 360 and the ps3.  seems the guy at my video store who said he wanted to buy two ps3s and sell one on ebay is sol. hee hee.

My thoughts exactly. I'm really thinking about getting a 360 now along with the Wii. I like Wii's unique new way of playing games, but then again, playing games the old fashion way is still a hellova lot of fun. Not to mention all of the great first and third party games the 360 is getting (Gears of War, Splinter Cell, GTA IV).

Offline WiiForever

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 10:57:13 pm »
Microsoft could confirm their love for the Wii by adding in the Master Chief to Smash Brothers. Yeah, that'd be way cooler than DOA4. Snake AND Master Chief. Hey who would win anyway?

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 12:02:27 am »
Microsoft could confirm their love for the Wii by adding in the Master Chief to Smash Brothers. Yeah, that'd be way cooler than DOA4. Snake AND Master Chief. Hey who would win anyway?

That's something I'd actually like to see.  That way we could have a moscot battle, Mario, Snake and Master Chief.  :D
Okay, Snake isn't so much a mascot for the Playstation, but it's about as close as we get.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 01:46:47 am »
It couldnt be Smash Brothers though. It would be a totally new franchise of ultimate awesomeness.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 04:31:17 am »
It would be the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny
good guys bad guys and explosions as for as the eye can see...

Even before E3 I was looking at getting a 360 and Revolution together now I think thats a definate chance of things going that way.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 05:30:47 am »

That's something I'd actually like to see. That way we could have a moscot battle, Mario, Snake and Master Chief. :D
Okay, Snake isn't so much a mascot for the Playstation, but it's about as close as we get.

Throw in Sonic and you've the ultimate grudge match of all time.

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 08:14:33 am »

and of course Nintendo can comfirm their love for the 360 by having Mario in Halo 3

we have the same chance of that happening when Steve announces that he is closing the site.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 08:53:18 am »

and of course Nintendo can comfirm their love for the 360 by having Mario in Halo 3

we have the same chance of that happening when Steve announces that he is closing the site.
Might happen when Microsoft and Sony realize that losing money every generation on hardware doesn't make a lot of sense, and Nintendo should handle the console market. Then we'd get Master Chief in everything Nintendo, including the next Mario Strikers; and there could even be Wander in Super Smash Bros Collision.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 04:36:32 pm »
I'd like to see Samus vs. Master Chief. That would be awesome.

Offline Pando

• Spy Hunter Spook
  • panda? yes please
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 08:09:04 am »
I am definately going to buy a Wii, and since the Xbox 360 will most likely go down in price, I think I'll buy both.  8)

Offline KJSatz

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 02:51:03 pm »
Microsoft is right if they're trying to get people to buy an 360 and Wii.  I definately plan on buying a Wii, but for now I plan on using my PC for the "hardcore graphics" side of gaming.  The XBox will have to do something special to get attached to my TV, and I think they can do it if they want to.

Unfortunately, XMas won't be as awesome as far as consoles go for me.  I'm a younger sibling and my bro is moving out for college.  For our N64, we banded together and got it and Mario 64 as a combo gift, either for our birthdays (both in summer) or XMas (don't remember which one).  Since the Wii will be relatively inexpensive, that won't be a big deal, but I don't think the 360+Wii combo will be big at XMas (if I were a parent I'd rather just get one...incidently, the cheaper more creative-looking one, the Wii).

Offline Olin

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
    • The Olin Ezra Show
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »
Indeed, although I wonder what the Nintendo Executives think. Since Nintendo claims, they are not trying to compete with anyone.