Author Topic: Bash the actor thread.  (Read 9934 times)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Bash the actor thread.
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 08:04:19 am »
wait, can i do a director?

JERRY BRUCKHEIMER!!!

seriously every movie he does is like a gigantic tetsuo blob made of action movie cliches.  he treated the audience like a bunch of stumbling morons programmed to salivate when he makes something blow up.  and hey, guess what?  he filled up theaters and got filthy rich!!  and then he RESTED ON HIS LAURELS and made even worse movies.

Um ... Bruckheimer isn't a director. He's an executive producer. You might be thinking of Michael Bay.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 02:28:16 pm »
...and Natalie Portman (no wonder Anakin lost the plot near the end of the film - he's had to go through two films worth of her awful acting).
Watch CLOSER or V FOR VENDETTA. Lucas dumbed down her acting; I'm not sure why.

I have seen Closer, but not V for Vendetta (talk about dumbed down political thriller).  She was a completely unrealistic and silly character in Closer - i've yet to meet someone act so strange or illogical.  I've seen a fair few of her films - a pretty face doesn't make for a good actress... it's a shame most people don't realise that.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 10:39:32 pm »
OK, watch Leon and Heat. She was great as a child actress. I think she depends a lot on the director to guide her. Not a good trait in an actress, but with a good director, she's usually good.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 07:21:13 am »
...and Natalie Portman (no wonder Anakin lost the plot near the end of the film - he's had to go through two films worth of her awful acting).
Watch CLOSER or V FOR VENDETTA. Lucas dumbed down her acting; I'm not sure why.

I have seen Closer, but not V for Vendetta (talk about dumbed down political thriller).
Like how you can call it that without having seen it.

She was a completely unrealistic and silly character in Closer - i've yet to meet someone act so strange or illogical.

Yet that was her character. I've read the script; she did what it asked for. It's that simple. You may have hated the character but that doesn't mean she did a poor job with it, just that it was fully realized. And your personal interaction with people has nothing to do with whether people like that exist or not. I've known people like her character. Not exactly but with similar traits to the point where the character and her performance rang true for me.

I've seen a fair few of her films - a pretty face doesn't make for a good actress... it's a shame most people don't realise that.

And when many film critics seem to say otherwise, your opinion may not be exactly right. But it might not be wrong. I personally think she's a great actress that is sometimes hampered by the directors she works with. That's true with most performers. There are the rare few that can sparkle even when surrounded by utter crap, but they're few and far between -- and even less of them have the power to overrule the director's say if he wants something different or is difficult to work with.

Again though, you have a right to your opinion, but then so does everyone else. So dismissing other people's opinions as being sucked in by the fact that she happens to be pretty isn't a fair or even accurate statement. There are many actresses in this business that are gorgeous that I've no friggin' interest in as actresses.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 11:48:35 am »
PHI-1618, leave it be. While I may agree with you, we're not here to debate who is right or wrong, it's just a thread to vent about anyone you wish to.  You don't have to agree with everyone, and I fully don't expect everyone to, but it's just a thread for venting. If you want to start a thread  about the merits of Natalie Portman I'd gladly join in.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2006, 01:21:03 pm »
PHI-1618, leave it be. While I may agree with you, we're not here to debate who is right or wrong, it's just a thread to vent about anyone you wish to.  You don't have to agree with everyone, and I fully don't expect everyone to, but it's just a thread for venting. If you want to start a thread  about the merits of Natalie Portman I'd gladly join in.

I thought I'd brought it to a pretty definite close with that post, but point taken.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2006, 03:23:21 pm »
Tom Cruise - Because he's a member of Scientology.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2006, 03:30:22 pm »
Tom Cruise - Because he's a member of Scientology.

Wait a sec bro, I don't like him ether.
However, what if he was Jewish and you didn't like him because of it?

Shouldn't the same thing apply here?

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 09:55:05 am »
And now back to the thread:

Robin Williams, dramatic actor or Comedic actor. While he is good at both, he should never be allowed to mix the two, he doesn't transition well.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 10:36:59 am »
Er.. yeah. The next time someone questions someone elses choices or reason I'm going to lock this thread. This thread is by no means meant to debate, it's a fluff thread so you can vent. Like I said people will pick people (and reasons) you don't agree. But leave it alone there, if it bothers you make a new thread of send them a PM about it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 07:29:30 am by Interitus »
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2006, 03:44:25 am »
I split the Tom Cruise/Scientology discussion off and into its own thread. You can now find it in "Everything Else" section:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=4737.0

So now this thread can continue on topic...

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2006, 09:26:39 am »
i cannot stand Jim Carey and Orlando Bloom a actors. They both act the same, regardless of the roles they are supposed to be.  And Keanu Reeves would be a good actor if he never said anything.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

werechicken

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2006, 02:21:27 am »
Lindsey Lohan - because she's the latest in a long line of hollywood teen whores, willing to do be in any piece of **** just to be on the big screen.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2006, 03:15:59 am »
Lindsey Lohan - because she's the latest in a long line of hollywood teen whores, willing to do be in any piece of **** just to be on the big screen.
And she used to be attractive but has turned into a huge slut like all hollywood types inevitably do.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.